Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5000 impressions  (Read 14800 times)

John Hollenberg

iPF5000 impressions
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 09:34:43 am »

Hello,

O/K John,fair enough,I will put together an article on how I have developed my printing methods using Canon iPF5000 since July using different papers,profiling and how I print using 16 bit phot's plug-in with 600dpi files.Could be usefull?[week or two]

The Wiki is a great developement been need for such a site for ages,tried to join but having trouble with password it rejects whatever I type in!
Any idears?

An article such as you describe would be dynamite!  Either post to Wiki directly, or send me the text and I will put it in.  Having spent a fair amount of time with the Wiki I can enter stuff very quickly now and preserve a unified appearance.  I may reorganize/edit slightly if descriptions aren't clear to me, but otherwise would be pretty much intact.

No idea why there would be any problem with passwords.  Mine is a simple one with only letters.  I think you have to enter your email to get confirmation that you have been accepted once I approve it, but even without email you will still get approved (just not notified of approval).  Contact me with PM on this board if you are still having trouble.

Input greatly appreciated.  I think we have the beginnings of a great community!

--John

rdonson

iPF5000 impressions
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 03:11:40 pm »

John, just another thank you for the wiki.  There's enough there and in the forums to convince me my next printer purchase is a Canon and not an Epson.  

Now I have to decide between the 17" iPF5000 and the 44" iPF8000 (this is dependent on a friend chipping in   )  I've seen the 60" iPF9000 and its a beast that would require an addition to my place.  
Regards,
Ron

ssedlmayr

iPF5000 impressions
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 01:16:26 pm »

I have purchased the Canon, but yet to set it up.  I use Macs and Pc, and do digital photography for a hobby.  I am going to invest in a gretagmacbeth eyeone for calibration for the camera, lcd, and printers.  

I have been reading the literature and forums, and I am a little confused by the use of a RIP vs a printer driver.  Aren't ink jet printers CMYK devices, and if so, then could use the advantage of a RIP.  However, I did see that a person had calibrated with an eyeone and said that the differences were neglible.  So should you stay in the RGB space and just use the OS printer driver (Adobe Photoshop's driver) and calibrate and profile.

Speaking of profiling, the eyeon bundle states that it profiles.  Do you really need something like Profilemaker then, when the eyeone bundle does the profiling also?  Since you guys are pros, I would appreciate your take on it.

thanks

David White

• http://
iPF5000 impressions
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 01:33:47 pm »

Speaking of profiling, the eyeon bundle states that it profiles.  Do you really need something like Profilemaker then, when the eyeone bundle does the profiling also?  Since you guys are pros, I would appreciate your take on it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Eye-One Photo package comes with Eye-One Match which will allow you to profile your scanner, monitor, printer and camera.  ProfileMaker is a more costly package ($2,000 - $3,000 depending on options) that gives you more control over the profiles you generate, such as creating profiles for different lighting conditions and generating custom printer test charts as well as a lot of other tools for working with profiles.
David White

ssedlmayr

iPF5000 impressions
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 02:03:08 pm »

The Eye-One Photo package comes with Eye-One Match which will allow you to profile your scanner, monitor, printer and camera.  ProfileMaker is a more costly package ($2,000 - $3,000 depending on options) that gives you more control over the profiles you generate, such as creating profiles for different lighting conditions and generating custom printer test charts as well as a lot of other tools for working with profiles.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks for the answer.  Probably a really dumb question, but why would you want to generate profiles for different lighting conditions?  Is that because you would be viewing them in different lighting conditions, maybe like an art gallery, vs an arena, or a subway?  Does that mean you must measure the light that you want to display it in?  What profile does the printer then produce for just the average print, 5500 temp?  Also, why generate custom printer charts?  Is this for working with custom programs?  It sounds like it is meant for a high end pro that runs into different situations, is this correct?

Thanks for your replies, it really helped me in the basic understanding right off the bat.

John Hollenberg

iPF5000 impressions
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 03:59:03 pm »

thanks for the answer.  Probably a really dumb question, but why would you want to generate profiles for different lighting conditions?  Is that because you would be viewing them in different lighting conditions, maybe like an art gallery, vs an arena, or a subway?  Does that mean you must measure the light that you want to display it in?  What profile does the printer then produce for just the average print, 5500 temp?  Also, why generate custom printer charts?  Is this for working with custom programs?  It sounds like it is meant for a high end pro that runs into different situations, is this correct?

The profiles for Eye One Photo package are for D50 only.  With Profilemaker Pro you can put an ambient light head on the spectrophotometer (comes with spectrophotometer now, I believe), measure the spectral characteristics of the light (this part is done in Eye One Share), then build a profile for that specific light source.

--John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up