Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF5000 - What Ink Used For Special 1-5?  (Read 4962 times)

John Hollenberg

Canon IPF5000 - What Ink Used For Special 1-5?
« on: December 02, 2006, 07:51:45 pm »

Does anyone know what ink is used for each of the Special settings 1-5?  I am trying to figure out what media types might be good to check for non-Canon matte or photo papers.  Can't find anywhere in the documentation (if you want to call it that) where this is mentioned.

Thanks.

--John

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:22:32 pm »

Does anyone know what ink is used for each of the Special settings 1-5?  I am trying to figure out what media types might be good to check for non-Canon matte or photo papers.  Can't find anywhere in the documentation (if you want to call it that) where this is mentioned.

Thanks.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88321\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Spent 30 minutes on the phone with Canon support the morning.  Very pleasant, but only had an answer for one of my 6 questions:

Special 1-5 use Photo Black

Added to Wiki.

--John

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 02:43:07 pm »

Spent 30 minutes on the phone with Canon support the morning.  Very pleasant, but only had an answer for one of my 6 questions:

Added to Wiki.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks John.

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:35:21 am »

Has anyone come across any documentation on the paper types and the printer's respective settings?  

Thanks!

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:17:42 am »

Has anyone come across any documentation on the paper types and the printer's respective settings?   

Thanks!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

See the FAQ on the Wiki for everything that is known:

[a href=\"http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com]http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com[/url]

There is also a discussion section there, accessible as a link from the Main page.  That would be a good place to ask any questions that aren't answered in the FAQ.

--John

martinmitch

• http://www.crispynails.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:25:07 pm »

Spent 30 minutes on the phone with Canon support the morning.  Very pleasant, but only had an answer for one of my 6 questions:

Added to Wiki.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Hello,

I tried using settings 1-5 , 5 sprays more ink than 1 when profiling matt art paper but was not satisfied with profiles [thin and blotchy] so used matt paper settings instead notably Premium Matt Paper.Tried profiling with different paper settings but returned to PMP for best result using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 gm,Fotospeed High White Smooth 315gm and Museo II and Max 100% cotton rag which this printer prints on a gem again,Museo Silver Rag 100% cottonprint  is an outstanding paper to print on [Photo paper plus semi-gloss-paper setting].Send in 600dpi files to printer I use SI Pro 2 to increase dpi for print and you will see prints nothing else can match in 17" printer market so far!
Use Wide Gamut RGB or ProPhotoRGB set to 2.2,Adobe Rgb clips gamut.  
My experiance with Canon support is leave well alone you will find more knowledge on web sites.
In U/K ended up giving Canon advice on using this printer - how bizarr!
Worked out how to use Canon iPF5000 and making own profiles by talking with early users of this printer during June,July and August 2006 from different continents.
Getting carried away typing.
When I get some free time I will try and type out some of my notes from using this printer since June 2006.
This may help.
Martin
Crispy Nails Animation Studio.

martinmitch

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 01:40:53 pm »

Hello,

Just clicked a link to Wiki site fantastic,previous experiances from printers using iPF5000 all in one place and,the list of papers and settings I shall print out and use when making some new profiles, mine are six months old so should do a new set with my X-Rite for 16 bit plug-in.
Thanks
Martin

John Hollenberg

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:22:53 pm »

Tried profiling with different paper settings but returned to PMP for best result using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 gm,Fotospeed High White Smooth 315gm and Museo II and Max 100% cotton rag which this printer prints on a gem again,Museo Silver Rag 100% cottonprint  is an outstanding paper to print on [Photo paper plus semi-gloss-paper setting].

Martin,

Very helpful.  I am not quite clear on the media type used.  Did you use Premium Matte media type for Photo Rag, Fotospeed High White Smooth, Museo II and Muse Max?

--John

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:39:10 pm »

John,

I have been following this thread with interest since my Epson 2200 will surely die eventually and need to be replaced. From what I've heard about the Canon printer and the woeful documentation, it is my fervent opinion that Canon should give you a free IPF5000 and a year's supply of paper. And Martin and the others who have contributed meaningful knowledge to this thread and your wiki deserve at least a year's supply of paper of their choice.

Thank you all for solid information!

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John Hollenberg

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 10:28:03 pm »

I have been following this thread with interest since my Epson 2200 will surely die eventually and need to be replaced. From what I've heard about the Canon printer and the woeful documentation, it is my fervent opinion that Canon should give you a free IPF5000 and a year's supply of paper. And Martin and the others who have contributed meaningful knowledge to this thread and your wiki deserve at least a year's supply of paper of their choice.

Thanks for the kind words.  Someone on the Wiki posted that they have converted the html file(s) that came as "documentation" to some kind of searchable format, wants to find a place to post it.  I'm not sure if it is legal to do so, he thinks it falls under the "fair use" of the manual we have already paid to look at.  Perhaps this would push Canon to fix the manual :-)

--John

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 11:50:31 pm »

Thanks for the kind words.  Someone on the Wiki posted that they have converted the html file(s) that came as "documentation" to some kind of searchable format, wants to find a place to post it.  I'm not sure if it is legal to do so, he thinks it falls under the "fair use" of the manual we have already paid to look at.  Perhaps this would push Canon to fix the manual :-)

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When I first heard about the awful manual I immediately dismissed the printer out of hand. But with all the reports of the great results people seem to be having in spite of the manual, it's obviously a good enough printer to justify a lot of effort getting it to produce.

Actually, your wiki is certainly searchable, so maybe the manual isn't needed! Although a pamphlet summarizing the various options and features would certainly be helpful too.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John Hollenberg

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 12:01:54 am »

When I first heard about the awful manual I immediately dismissed the printer out of hand. But with all the reports of the great results people seem to be having in spite of the manual, it's obviously a good enough printer to justify a lot of effort getting it to produce.

Actually, your wiki is certainly searchable, so maybe the manual isn't needed!

I figured OK, the manual can't be THAT bad.  However after purchasing the printer and attempting to figure out even the most simple things, I realized it is truly horrid.  That is the reason I put my FAQ on one giant page--it is easy to search through it without clicking on various links all over the place.  Also, I tried to put everything in the FAQ that is really important and/or hard to find.  It is simple getting the printer set up and drivers installed, etc.  Probably 30-60 minutes, depending on how you work.  Hopefully the FAQ will pick up where the Quickstart guide leaves off.

--John

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 12:24:25 am »

EricM,

There are certainly some quirks, but this printer is definitely worthy of consideration. I'm thrilled with the results so far. I've not had time to really get it smokin', but what I have done has be very satisfying.

Now, that manual...

There is far more useful info here and in the wiki. Some of the info is, of course, in the manual, but good luck finding it before feeling frustrated.

I stalled on getting this printer and really appreciate the openness with which the early adopters shared and continue to share their experiences. There are many, here at the L-L forum, who have been very helpful to others. John's effort to create a useful repository of FAQs is great. As more people become willing to participate in both places, we can all move forward with greater efficiency.

For me, the best thing that I did was to expect it to be a nightmare because of what I had read. As it turned out it's been fairly straight-forward because of that early mindset and an understanding of what price is paid by adopting Rev. A gear.

In my Bangkok apartment I have a cheap HP multi-function machine with an eighty-zillion MB driver package. I'm a Mac user and this driver package is a joke. It works... sort of. But man, what a piece o' crap. My point is that these tech tools have quirks in many cases. I believe that Canon will (and should) offer updates, but in the mean time the iPF5000 is a great printer for my needs.

--
Dale

martinmitch

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 04:31:38 pm »

Hello,
When I bought my Canon iPf5000 it was one of first to enter U/K and the dealer gave me a discount plus a free roll of Hahnehmule photo rag 308gsm and a £25-00 credit note bit different today because Canon has told dealers they can only sell these printers at a specified minimum price in
U/K.
My profiles were eventually made using Premium Matt Paper setting,tried every other matt paper setting strait photos',8 bit then16 bit plug in.Started 300dpi files to printer then tried 600 dpi and slowly feeling my way in the dark prints became sharper clearer and wider colour gamut.Its getting your imagination around twelve colours and doing all the work on files in photoshop CS2 at 16 bit.
I used Fotospeed Matt duo for the big head alignement initially six months ago have not done another since but will do another soon and do new profiles using inforemation from Wiki on paper settings.The printer has sat on a table since June in deep slumber no problems except the usuall ones we all moan about there have been no clogs,chewed paper,ink on my fingers or wasted ink problems.To print press power button briefly to go online and the prints improved as the Canon settled down hot or cold weather do not seem to influence its ability to print.Use Fotospeed High White Smooth 315gsm it's cheap,to set up prints and then switch to Museo or Hahn' for end prints.
This printer has surprised me because it turned out to more reliable than an Epson use less ink and produces better prints without constantly looking for head alinement problems.
I've replaced some of the inks and bought a new set plus a spare maintenace tray [take old one out put in spare then clean out old tray and re-use but will get ink on fingers?] by haggling with dealers saying it is cheaper to import ink from USA because of dollar situation,they knocked £140-00 of price plus free delivery next day.
Slumber calls
Bye
Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up