Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor calibration in general  (Read 2744 times)

D. King

Monitor calibration in general
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:36:12 pm »

I have a 19' Dell LCD that I want to calibrate.  A friend told me that with digital monitors as opposed to CRT's you only have to do the calibration once.  If that is true it would seem better to borrow someone's Spider for a couple of hours than to buy one and stick it in the closet until I get a new monitor years from now.

Of course this information may not be accurate.  

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Ken Tanaka

• http://www.KenTanaka.com
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 05:03:48 pm »

I have a 19' Dell LCD that I want to calibrate.  A friend told me that with digital monitors as opposed to CRT's you only have to do the calibration once.  If that is true it would seem better to borrow someone's Spider for a couple of hours than to buy one and stick it in the closet until I get a new monitor years from now.

Of course this information may not be accurate. 

Any ideas?  Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88300\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
LCD monitors benefit from periodic recalibration, too.  It's true that, unlike their CRT cousins, LCDs do not have phosphors that degrade slowly over time.  But the their backlight lamps change luminance and color renderings can shift slightly over time.  I recalibrate my notebook and desktop LCD approximately every 4 months using the ColorEyes Display system with an XRite device.  The profiles do shift slightly.
- Ken Tanaka -
 www.KenTanaka.com

D. King

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 07:24:22 pm »

LCD monitors benefit from periodic recalibration, too.  It's true that, unlike their CRT cousins, LCDs do not have phosphors that degrade slowly over time.  But the their backlight lamps change luminance and color renderings can shift slightly over time.  I recalibrate my notebook and desktop LCD approximately every 4 months using the ColorEyes Display system with an XRite device.  The profiles do shift slightly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 01:42:06 am »

Ken is right; while LCDs don't drift as much as CRTs, they do change over time and there is value in periodic reprofiling. I do so monthly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up