Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retouching White Spots on Digital Prints (Epson)  (Read 2201 times)

steube59

Retouching White Spots on Digital Prints (Epson)
« on: December 02, 2006, 01:41:01 pm »

Could someone kindly suggest a website or other "How-To" source, that thoroughly addresses the retouching of white spots that rarely, but eventually occurs on larger ink-jet (Epson) prints?

But please, I have already gotten lots of info/advice on how to "avoid" spots. What I want are techniques to retouch them, when they do happen, dispite all humanly possible precautions to avoid them in the first place.

When I either print myself (Epson R1800 or Pro 7800) or outsource printing, there are occasionally a couple of tiny white spots that are too conspicuous to tolerate. The larger the print, the more likely this happens. These prints are ultimately for sale, so quality and long term color stability are paramount.

Ansel Adams, et. al., knew that retouching wet-darkroom prints were an inevitability, and their technique(s) are well known. But for today's large ink-jet prints, I'm having trouble finding really good information...

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 07:32:20 pm »

Take a hacksaw to "empty" ink cartriges. Use plastic gloves . Pour remaining inks into little bottles.I use empty saffron bottles or ones previosly home to food dyes. Mix in a saucer pallette. You can work out CMYK ratio from colour info readouts. Spot with a top quality 000 or 0000 brush.Test colour and depth on a scrap of unprinted paper the same as the one to be spotted. Dilute with water containing a drop of detergent. Spit works too, as old time retouchers know.
HTH
Have fun
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 03:07:08 am »

The tip of a wooden toothpick works as an applicator as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up