Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favorite ipf5000 paper?  (Read 4610 times)

Eric Purdy

What's your favorite ipf5000 paper?
« on: December 01, 2006, 07:40:39 am »

I just ordered an ipf5000 and was looking for some paper recommendations from those who use this printer. I'm coming from an Epson and am unfamiliar with Canon papers or 3rd party papers that work well with Canon.

Specifically, what's your favorite semi-gloss/satin paper and favorite for black and whites?

Thanks,
Eric

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 07:49:10 am »

If you have a stockpile of Epson papers, continue to use it. Its good paper and gets along well with the Lucia inks in the iPF5000.

The Crane's Silver Rag and Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl are my two top choices for B&W on this printer. If you want a matte paper the Hahnemühle Photo Rag and Moab Entrada work well, as does Cranes Museo Max.

There is the beginnings of a good Wiki article on this printer...search the forum and you'll find the link to it. You'll find other recommendations, driver settings, etc.

Regards,

-eric-

ericbullock

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 07:51:04 am »

Here is the Wiki article...please feel free to add to it or modify it as necessary!

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

-eric-

ltr03

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 08:38:56 am »

Congratulations on your new printer, you will love it  

So far the printer has done excellent with all of the semi-gloss/satin papers I have tried:

Moab – Kokopelli Satin
Canon – Premium Bright Satin
Ilford – Smooth Pearl
Red River – UltraPro Satin

For matte I really like Moab Kayenta and for fine art Hahnemühle & Moab Entrada.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 10:47:15 am »

Congratulations on your new printer, you will love it  

So far the printer has done excellent with all of the semi-gloss/satin papers I have tried:

Moab – Kokopelli Satin
Canon – Premium Bright Satin
Ilford – Smooth Pearl
Red River – UltraPro Satin

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For all those who have used non-Canon papers and had good results, please post the media type you used for each paper here so I can add to the Wiki.  This is the area where information is most lacking.  I would like to have listings for specific papers that worked well, rather than just saying "If it is a luster paper use ______ setting."
All contributions appreciated.

I have continued to build the Wiki and have added quite a few more items.  Corrected a few errors, including an erroneous calculation of ink cost for Epson 3800.  I based the calculation on current prices, but looking at the list price ($59.95) and figuring a price of $55.00 is more likely once there is a supply I changed the figure.  New figure is 69 cents per ml (still 10% more than Canon IPF5000, but quite a bit less than the 83 cents per ml previously listed).

Edit: The Epson 3800 is only about 10% cheaper for ink than the R2400, which I calculated at 76 cents per ml (assuming 17 ml for the Epson R2400, which no one knows if this is an accurate figure, since Epson won't say).  A far cry from the 38 cents per ml available with the 220 ml Epson cartridges.

--John
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:51:35 am by John Hollenberg »

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 01:41:23 pm »

Just to add a couple that have not been mentioned:

I had some Red River Polar Satin here and it produced beautiful results using the RR free profile for the iPF5000. This particular profile is very good for my machine it seems. I have not tried the UltraPro Satin, but I think I have a sample and RR provides a profile for it as well.

I also tried some InkjetArt Micro Ceramic Luster that I had, using their canned profile, and it worked well too.

Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl printed well, but the Ilford profile is not great for me. (Their profiles for the i9900 were not great for me either).

Canon's Photo Paper Plus Glossy isn't great paper IMO but I had a few sheets and it printed well (if lacking in depth) and the profile was acceptable for less important stuff.

I've not had any custom profiles for the iPF5000 done yet as I'm still narrowing my list of papers and surfaces. I like the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag papers too. I don't yet have profiling gear and it would be much nicer to test these papers with a proper profile for each. AFAIK Hahnamuhle has no generic profiles for the iPF5000 yet.

One has to experiment a bit with the media type selection so that ink distribution cooperates with the paper surface. The RR and InkjetArt profiles mentioned above have accompanying PDFs which suggest paper settings that worked for me.

--
Dale
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 01:51:09 pm by DFAllyn »

Eric Purdy

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 02:18:49 pm »

Thank you all for the info. I've just ordered sample packs from Red River, Inkjet Art, and Innova to get the ball rolling.  That should give me one or two sheets of just about every paper mentioned...Going to be a fun holiday this year.  

ericbullock

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 07:47:27 pm »

Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl printed well, but the Ilford profile is not great for me. (Their profiles for the i9900 were not great for me either).

Canon's Photo Paper Plus Glossy isn't great paper IMO but I had a few sheets and it printed well (if lacking in depth) and the profile was acceptable for less important stuff.

I've not had any custom profiles for the iPF5000 done yet as I'm still narrowing my list of papers and surfaces. I like the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag papers too. I don't yet have profiling gear and it would be much nicer to test these papers with a proper profile for each. AFAIK Hahnamuhle has no generic profiles for the iPF5000 yet.

Yeah...not much out there for generic iPF5000 profiles. However, I'm in the process of building a library of profiles for the iPF5000. So far I've done SilverRag, Innova Fiba Gloss. Epson Premium Luster, & Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl. I'm going to do more of the Hahnemühle papers (Museum Etching, & Photo Rag), and the Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl...so stay tuned! Not sure yet if I'll be allowed to post them for free, but  I'll post back to the forum if I can.

Cheers,

Eric Bullock
PixelPusherz Imaging
www.pixelpusherz.net

c77man

• http://
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 02:48:38 pm »

These guys have profiles for Innova & Hahnemuhle for the iPF5000

Just an FYI

http://www.booksmartstudio.com/store/index...ex&cPath=72_217

The ones on this page are free, but they do custom if you need.

I have used their free profiles with Innova Papers on an Epson 4000 and have been very pleased... If I remember Eric at Booksmart actually makes all of the profiles for Innova.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 10:32:44 pm »

These guys have profiles for Innova & Hahnemuhle for the iPF5000

Just an FYI
http://www.booksmartstudio.com/store/index...ex&cPath=72_217

I looked on their site, they must have just added them.  Also, I see that they are for the Photoshop Export plugin (=16 bit)!  Will add to Wiki.

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up