Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF5000 wireless network  (Read 3251 times)

mercorex

IPF5000 wireless network
« on: November 30, 2006, 10:55:37 am »

Hi all,

I just installed my ipf5000 and have it printing over a wireless network without too many issues. However, both the Media Configuration tool and the Garos status monitor fail to find the printer. I am using a linksys wireless print server. As many others here have indicated, Canon's website appears to not be available for the troubleshooting and FAQ sections for printer support so I am now wondering how serious they are about this business. Maybe I should have gone with the Epson after all...

Anyway, anyone any ideas w.r.t what seems to be a networking problem?

Thanks
Steve

Gary Damaskos

IPF5000 wireless network
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:52:30 am »

No specific help here - just encouragement. I have wireless router feeding a wireless bridge that is then cabeled to the printer. No problems whatsoever. Bridge and router are Linksys. PC. Good luck.
Gary

Hi all,

I just installed my ipf5000 and have it printing over a wireless network without too many issues. However, both the Media Configuration tool and the Garos status monitor fail to find the printer. I am using a linksys wireless print server. As many others here have indicated, Canon's website appears to not be available for the troubleshooting and FAQ sections for printer support so I am now wondering how serious they are about this business. Maybe I should have gone with the Epson after all...

Thanks
Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John Hollenberg

IPF5000 wireless network
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:59:25 am »

Hi all,

Thanks
Steve
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Definitely call up Canon tech support and get help with this.  Complain about the horrible web site (I did).  When you get a solution, post it here so I can add it to the IPF5000 Wiki:

[a href=\"http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com]http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com[/url]

Once you get the setup issues sorted out and read through the Wiki FAQ to figure out how to use the printer, I think you will probably be pretty happy with your choice.  Beats fighting the Epson ink clogs!

--John

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
IPF5000 wireless network
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 12:55:01 pm »

Wireless would be a useful technology for my setup as well, but I hesitated to add that element to the mix yet. I have had two i9900 on a wireless network and they printed fine. One problem was (they're now hard-wired to the network) that the utility was unavailable via WiFi.

I was connected via Apple Airport Extreme to Apple Airport Express with the printers connected the Express via USB 2.0. Mac OS X...

So, printing was okay, maintenance was not (for the i9900s). I have not tried it on the iPF5000 yet because the printer is physically located at the edge of my wireless network range and I need to set it up with a WDS relay to widen my coverage for a fair test. I barely have WiFi available at the printer's location and it's spottiy. Coincidentally, I need to expand the network anyway and there will be an Airport Express installed near the printer anyway, so it should be easy to just plug the printer in to it and try it. I've not had time to work on it. Still working on getting acquainted with the printer and time has been too limited.

Dale

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
IPF5000 wireless network
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 01:23:47 pm »

"Wireless print servers" tend to have a lot of issues, as you are typically using a TCP/IP network connection to connect to a device the driver expects to be on a USB port. OTOH, if you get a printer with a built-in ethernet port and have a wireless network connection to it, neither the printer or the computer will know or care about the wireless link; the only difference is a possibly slightly slower data transfer speed to the printer, which may or may not have any effect on print speed.

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
IPF5000 wireless network
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 01:48:29 pm »

"Wireless print servers" tend to have a lot of issues, as you are typically using a TCP/IP network connection to connect to a device the driver expects to be on a USB port. OTOH, if you get a printer with a built-in ethernet port and have a wireless network connection to it, neither the printer or the computer will know or care about the wireless link; the only difference is a possibly slightly slower data transfer speed to the printer, which may or may not have any effect on print speed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87906\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jonathan,

Thanks for the reminder of this. The Apple Airport Express has a USB 2.0 port on it and handles printing pretty well (via Bonjour), except that the utility hasn't worked for me on other printers (haven't tried it on the ipf5000 yet). Your suggestion of wireless via the ethernet port on the printer may be a better solution (the iPF5000 is ethernet equipped). I've never networked in this way, but have read something of it (obviously, I'm no network master). Wireless print servers (HP) have been a bit funky for me.

The Airport Express also has an ethernet port but I've not read that it can be used to network a printer (it's typically used to connect to a modem). A wireless router added to the network at the printer end may be needed, I guess. I need to dig around and learn more about the network requirements if I want to avoid running a Cat 5 cable the long and inconvenient run to the printer.

Currently, I'm simply transferring my finished files to a laptop and printing from that until I resolve this network issue. I'm remodeling a print work area and all of this is being taken into consideration.

Thanks,

Dale
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:49:32 pm by DFAllyn »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
IPF5000 wireless network
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 04:13:43 am »

Many wireless access points (not the combination access point/internet routers) can be configured to be a network client (just like a laptop or whatever) instead of an access point. Do that, and run a cable from the access point to the printer, and configure the network settings and you'll be able to print to the machine from any computer on the network. I recomment Linksys, as their products offer low cost, good performance, and stability.
Pages: [1]   Go Up