Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Vista and Optix XR  (Read 32929 times)

bandsaw

Windows Vista and Optix XR
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:58:16 pm »

I recently installed the final version of Windows Vista Ultimate (MSDN Homepage) and learned that the Optix XR hardware is not supported (DTP94 calibration unit). The Monaco Optix XR hareware seems to boot properly but there are no drivers for the hardware its self. I called X-rite, but they really had no answers for me. All that i got was a "We're looking into it". WOW, X-rite get on the ball.  

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 10:55:29 am »

I recently installed the final version of Windows Vista Ultimate (MSDN Homepage) and learned that the Optix XR hardware is not supported (DTP94 calibration unit). The Monaco Optix XR hareware seems to boot properly but there are no drivers for the hardware its self. I called X-rite, but they really had no answers for me. All that i got was a "We're looking into it". WOW, X-rite get on the ball. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They need to rewrite new device drivers from what I gather.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

bandsaw

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:56:51 am »

They need to rewrite new device drivers from what I gather.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thats what im saying. I thought that a company like this, would have atleast beta drivers by now......
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:57:05 am by bandsaw »

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 02:02:27 pm »

Thats what im saying. I thought that a company like this, would have atleast beta drivers by now......
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88218\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It might have something to do with the Gretag acquisition, they are migrating everyone over to EyeOne. I had a hard time getting them to tell me whether EyeOne Display would include support for the OptixXR in the future...
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

RedRebel

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:15:54 am »

Does Photoshop CS2 support Vista already?

jlmwyo

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 02:54:46 am »

Supports, no not officially.

It runs thou
Images of Wyoming
 [url=http://www.pbase.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 07:38:54 am »

Early adopters suffer teething pains. There's no escape from this because it will never happen that everyone's update is ready at the same time.

When new operating systems are released in the modern computer era, they often seem to make fundamental changes that require 3rd party suppliers to do rewrites. Some of them can keep up, some can't, because they are all independant companies with their own priorities and agendas. Expecting them to all cooperate to make life easier for us users may be overly optimistic given that they are all competitors in a relatively free marketplace.

I wrote software for 25 years for a living and I never try to adopt the latest and greatest.
--
Robert

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 05:06:01 pm »

Having just come back from a conference where I heard many software manufacturers loudly scratching their heads about vista, what's in, what's been pulled out cause it doesn't work, who's ready and who's not, most everybody, and who is not even going to bother until things settle down. If it were me I would not go near Vista for some time, particularly if I cared about color. All the wonderful stuff they have been saying about WCS is nowhere near ready and most manufacturers, us included don't want to, nor can afford to deal with the tech support nightmare this will entail. Just because Microsoft is releasing a new operating system is not a good enough reason to go there. Wait, listen, buy smart.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

RedRebel

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 05:20:51 pm »

I wrote software for 25 years for a living and I never try to adopt the latest and greatest.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is so much true. Is was in the industrial automation busines for about 10 years and when Windows NT and later Windows 2000 was launched it was a nightmare. In the beginning only Microsofts own software (Office) works quite well, but it takes another 1-2 years before other software packages are compatible and stable too. Large manufacturers (like Adobe) are in general faster because the work close together with Microsoft.

On the other hand I think that Microsoft is more carefull with releasing Vista then  it was with Windows NT, 2000 or XP.

I think if you are a pro and have to make a living with Photgraphy you should stray away from Vista until you are sure that all software packages that you are using are fully compatible with Vista.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 11:06:24 am »

How about waiting till it's actually released.  

You have the RTM version - it's whole point is to be Released To Manufacturing so everyone can write drivers for it.  

It's won't be retailed until Jan 30th, and you should not expect any driver support until then.  Count yourself lucky if you have anything in the meantime.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 11:11:52 am by kaelaria »

bandsaw

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 03:18:05 pm »

Well, ive come to terms that I am not going to see a Optix XR Vista driver for some time. So, in the meantime, ive installed a dual boot with XP and Vista, and its actually quiet nice. Personal stuff on Vista, and purely work on the XP +/- some music and dvd software. I think i just lucked out actually; Optix XR and Capture One are the only things that dont have Vista support, everything else is running perfectly.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 03:19:59 pm »

You aren't on the latest hardware then - I had to go back to XP due to lack of MB and vid drivers that work worth a crap for my 8800GTX   Oh well, no hurry.

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 10:47:07 am »

I've found an easy workaround to install Optix in Vista, I've looked at the drivers in ToolCrib as it was suggested in X-Rite website, and yes, they work, and they do IMHO because just a couple of lines of text added to the inf file. As ToolCrib cannot be installed in Vista this is the easy way to make it work without having to install ToolCrib.

1.- Install Optix CD as usual before pluggin the device.
2.- Create a folder in your desktop or anywhere else and copy there this files
   c:\windows\inf\XrUsb.inf
   c:\windows\system32\drivers\XrUsb.sys
3.- Open XrUsb.inf with notepad and add this couple of lines before "sourcediskfiles", save.

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%X-RiteAppCDROM%,,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
XrUsb.sys=1,,

4.- Plug the device, when the New Hardware found pops click cancel.
5.- Go to Device Administrator in the control panel. Right click on X-Rite DTP94 and "Update Controller" ---> "Look for software in my computer" ---> Choose in a list of controllers in the computer ---> Click next  without marking any kind of hardware --> Use Disc -->  Here choose the inf file you just modified in your folder.
6.- Click "install anyway" when the message pops and it's done.
7.- Remember to keep a backup of your folder with the drivers for futur use, or at least until release of official Vista ones.

As for Monaco Program everything works fine, profiles are created and automatically added to the new windows color panel in display properties.The only thing that have to be done manually is adding monacogamma to the startup folder because windows security don't allow the progam to do it automatically.

By the way, I always have problems with monacogamma, in XP and Vista too, if it's active I get a delta 7 error, if I keep it down my delta goes down to 0,80 so I always keep it down obiously but I would like to know why this happens. If anyone have a suggestion..., I use an Ati Radeon 900 AIW with Nec 2090UXI, nothing at all in startup folder.

Note that I use the Spanish version of Ultimate and maybe some of my own translations are not exact in the english version of Vista. I think that either the new X-rite will have to make an update of the Monaco Software and drivers for Vista or either we'll be moving towars gretag software adpated to support DTP94. Second option looks more realistic right now...doesn't it?

Regards.

Arnau.
---------------------------------------

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 01:03:12 pm »

" I think that either the new X-rite will have to make an update of the Monaco Software and drivers for Vista or either we'll be moving towars gretag software adpated to support DTP94. Second option looks more realistic right now...doesn't it?"

The third option is to consider ColorEyes Display which will continue to support the DTP-94 as well as most other recent devices. We expect to have 64 bit support sometime in January.
As for Vista, we have not started testing but have been working with winx64. There is a ways to go.

Regards.

Arnau.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92895\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

frednurk69

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 02:07:30 am »

I have just succesfully installed the driver using the method you described. Worked seamlessly, thankyou! I am hovever having problems with running EZColor 2.6 under Vista, I get "Can't locate Resource DLL for Application".

Which version of EZColor do you have installed under Vista?

I've found an easy workaround to install Optix in Vista, I've looked at the drivers in ToolCrib as it was suggested in X-Rite website, and yes, they work, and they do IMHO because just a couple of lines of text added to the inf file. As ToolCrib cannot be installed in Vista this is the easy way to make it work without having to install ToolCrib.

1.- Install Optix CD as usual before pluggin the device.
2.- Create a folder in your desktop or anywhere else and copy there this files
   c:\windows\inf\XrUsb.inf
   c:\windows\system32\drivers\XrUsb.sys
3.- Open XrUsb.inf with notepad and add this couple of lines before "sourcediskfiles", save.

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%X-RiteAppCDROM%,,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
XrUsb.sys=1,,

4.- Plug the device, when the New Hardware found pops click cancel.
5.- Go to Device Administrator in the control panel. Right click on X-Rite DTP94 and "Update Controller" ---> "Look for software in my computer" ---> Choose in a list of controllers in the computer ---> Click next  without marking any kind of hardware --> Use Disc -->  Here choose the inf file you just modified in your folder.
6.- Click "install anyway" when the message pops and it's done.
7.- Remember to keep a backup of your folder with the drivers for futur use, or at least until release of official Vista ones.

As for Monaco Program everything works fine, profiles are created and automatically added to the new windows color panel in display properties.The only thing that have to be done manually is adding monacogamma to the startup folder because windows security don't allow the progam to do it automatically.

By the way, I always have problems with monacogamma, in XP and Vista too, if it's active I get a delta 7 error, if I keep it down my delta goes down to 0,80 so I always keep it down obiously but I would like to know why this happens. If anyone have a suggestion..., I use an Ati Radeon 900 AIW with Nec 2090UXI, nothing at all in startup folder.

Note that I use the Spanish version of Ultimate and maybe some of my own translations are not exact in the english version of Vista. I think that either the new X-rite will have to make an update of the Monaco Software and drivers for Vista or either we'll be moving towars gretag software adpated to support DTP94. Second option looks more realistic right now...doesn't it?

Regards.

Arnau.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92895\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ssprengel

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 01:57:50 am »

I have just succesfully installed the driver using the method you described. Worked seamlessly, thankyou! I am hovever having problems with running EZColor 2.6 under Vista, I get "Can't locate Resource DLL for Application".

Which version of EZColor do you have installed under Vista?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just had this problem with Monaco EZ Color 2.6.3:

You need to run the program using XP SP2 Compatibility mode which you can enable by right-clicking on the program shortcut and finding the checkbox.

After installing the driver and enabling compatiblity mode, I profiled both my monitors.  Monaco EZ Color also put the Monaco Gamma in my Startup group for me.

astherev

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 02:09:31 pm »

I just had this problem with Monaco EZ Color 2.6.3:

You need to run the program using XP SP2 Compatibility mode which you can enable by right-clicking on the program shortcut and finding the checkbox.

After installing the driver and enabling compatiblity mode, I profiled both my monitors.  Monaco EZ Color also put the Monaco Gamma in my Startup group for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=99410\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use EZ Color with Optix XR and have a new laptop with Vista Home Premium.  I successfully installed the driver for the Optix as described above but EZ Color still won't open.  I first got a missing dll message but after I checked the windows xp compatability mode I get the message "Failed to initialize Monaco Profile Object.  Check that EZColor is correctly installed."  I uninstalled it and reinstalled it  but still have the same result.
Any suggestions?

ssprengel

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 03:10:19 pm »

If you Google the error message, you'll see it may be due to having a bad install or that windows is limited to no more than 30 profiles in:  

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color

I have 40 .ICM files and 23 .ICC files in there on XP, so it must be the .ICC files its talking about or perhaps the error is more generic and its some other issue.

On a new install, I doubt you have too many color profiles, yet, so maybe its that the directory doesn't exist, so verify it does and seems ok, or you need to reinstall--and perhaps try installing with the setup.exe in capability mode, although I'm sure I didn't do this and mine is working.

I was on Vista Ultimate and logged in as the only user on the system (presubmably an administrator) and have that user-warning thing turned off, where I suppose if you have it turned on and answered wrong during the isntall, then it would have a problem.

Perhaps the permissions on that directory aren't right.

You can try e-mailing CMSupport@xrite.com or 1-888-826-3044 option 2

ssprengel

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 08:39:56 pm »

I received an e-mail from X-Rite, today, saying they had a new update that was compatible with Vista:

I am please to inform you that EZcolor 2.6.5, which provides support for Microsoft Vista has just been released. This new version also allows you take advantage of an expanded set of monitor calibration devices such as Eye-One Display 2, a product formally offered by GretagMacbeth (Now part of X-Rite).
You must be running MonacoEZcolor version v2.50 or higher to take advantage of this free upgrade.

You may download EZcolor version 2.6.5 from the following link, please be sure to carefully read and follow the installation instructions on this page. Also remember to install the software before connecting your instrument so that the drivers are properly installed.

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx...&SoftwareID=625

Thank you for using and supporting X-Rite solutions,
Pages: [1]   Go Up