Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Arca Swiss ball head - Z series  (Read 21924 times)

CameronS

New Arca Swiss ball head - Z series
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 11:35:31 am »

Does anyone know if the new Z1 can also be had with an old school screw knob instead of a 'flip lock' lever  and what the trade offs are compared to the B1?

I would be very surprised if a mark down of 25 per cent would not come at a price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

I just bought the Z1 with a standard screw-in knob on the quick release plate.  I think this is a safer bet than the flip lock anyway as I have read that not all "Arca" plates are the same dimensions and you can't neccessarily interchange among manufacturers.  I haven't run into that problem yet, but I figure the screw-in type has more adjustment possible for plate variations.   Just over $300 at B&H.  

I just switched from a B1 and although I have only been using the Z1 a week or so, I have yet to find a disadvantage.  It is lighter and smaller and seems to be even stronger than the B1.

aaykay

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 10:29:48 am »

I just switched from a B1 and although I have only been using the Z1 a week or so, I have yet to find a disadvantage.  It is lighter and smaller and seems to be even stronger than the B1.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The panning base at the bottom seems to have some differences with the B1.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 04:05:02 pm »

Quote from: StephaneB
I doubt they can afford it. Arca-Swiss is a small family-owned business. Many companies have made B1 imitations. Arca is powerless against that. All they can do is innovate faster, hence the Cube and the P1.

A few years ago Arca-Swiss successfully went after Kirk Enterprises for Kirk's original ballhead design which was too  close a copy of the B1 Monoball. Kirk had to modify their design as a consequence.

the p1 looks very interesting to me.  Right now I have a Really Right Stuff panning clamp mounted on top of an Arca-Swiss B2 monoball. I use the B2 becasue it is dual tilt design (the laterall tilt movement is nested inside of the fore/aft tilt movement) and a smaller head solution would be great if it has the same rigidity as the B2 combo.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up