Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zoerk ProSA and MFS Systems and MFDB  (Read 3693 times)

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Zoerk ProSA and MFS Systems and MFDB
« on: November 28, 2006, 05:23:41 pm »

I have given up on the 1.4x mutar and Hasselblad H systems as a shift option.  I have it working but the shift gives way to much CA and the system is rather  cumbersome.

Another option I have looked into is the Zoerk ProSA and MFS systems.
www.zoerk.com

I have been communicating back and forth and they tell me the system will work on the Hassy H system. I have been impressed with their responses so as far as customer service goes -- so far so good.   However this is what you need and what the limitations are.

I want to use my Schneider 120 and 180mm digitar lenses.  The 120mm will not focus to infinity with the ProSA (full tilt shift) but will with the MFS.  With the 180mm, you can use the ProSA and have full tilt shift options and infinity focus.  One limitation is that you cannot use the wider LF lenses and get infinity focus.  The other issue is that you need a CF Hasselblad Adapter. I have one for now.  To get the Zoerk system to work they have to make specific attachment tubes to fit the about said lenses... but they are able to do this.  The cost estimate for the ProSA and MFS systems with tubes is about 1500 to 1800 dollars. THe problem is that I have to commit the funds upfront for them to make the tubes.  So has anyone had any experience with these two systems  (ProSA and/or MFS)on 35mm or MF?  Can anyone guess what to expect?  Should I just accept the fact that in order to do TS with the Hassy H2 that I will have to wait until they make such a lens (and then they will probably chip it so it only works on the H3) or just give up and keep my view camera. Mark

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 05:58:04 pm »

Mark,
If you can end up with a shift lens working on your system then great but it does seem as though it may end up being a compromise of sorts..and where shift movemenst are concerned exactness is always so paramount..even for the mf systems where shift lenses are available (mamiya, contax) the image quality of the lenses are perhaps not as high as the regular lenses and the lenses are only so wide..45 or 55mm.
I do think at present the best solution for any serious shift work (interiors etc) is to use a camera designed specifically for this..view cameras you currently use if it has fine control geared movements or perhaps a cambo wide, silvestri etc.
Certainly that may mean an investement in a new system but it can work simply as a one lens system wider and with more movement than you could get with a mf lens with proper and exact movements that you need without the compromises...and if it is for jobs then the money spent is just another investment..that can always be sold later on if necessary.

Depending on wether you are shooting wiht a digial mf back or film also most of these systems would alow you to shoot with 69 film thus negating any lesser quality of large format lenes used. If shooting only digital then one of the digitar lenses will give you that great image quality.

I am sure you know most or all of this already but I really do feel where shifts etc are concerned a cobbled together answer will never work as well as a set up created specifically for the purpose.

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 08:18:06 pm »

Marc you hit the nail on the head and hence my concern.  The digitar lenses are great on the view camera I own but I am concerned that once you adde all these adapters etc, it is going to really cause a decrease in image quality one way or another.  So if there is anyone who has actually tried such a setup I would be very interested in learning their experiences.

Mark,
If you can end up with a shift lens working on your system then great but it does seem as though it may end up being a compromise of sorts..and where shift movemenst are concerned exactness is always so paramount..even for the mf systems where shift lenses are available (mamiya, contax) the image quality of the lenses are perhaps not as high as the regular lenses and the lenses are only so wide..45 or 55mm.
I do think at present the best solution for any serious shift work (interiors etc) is to use a camera designed specifically for this..view cameras you currently use if it has fine control geared movements or perhaps a cambo wide, silvestri etc.
Certainly that may mean an investement in a new system but it can work simply as a one lens system wider and with more movement than you could get with a mf lens with proper and exact movements that you need without the compromises...and if it is for jobs then the money spent is just another investment..that can always be sold later on if necessary.

Depending on wether you are shooting wiht a digial mf back or film also most of these systems would alow you to shoot with 69 film thus negating any lesser quality of large format lenes used. If shooting only digital then one of the digitar lenses will give you that great image quality.

I am sure you know most or all of this already but I really do feel where shifts etc are concerned a cobbled together answer will never work as well as a set up created specifically for the purpose.

Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up