Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 driver options  (Read 2357 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Epson 3800 driver options
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:56:30 pm »

Has anyone with an Epson 3800 experimented with the advanced paper settings yet ?

I’ve been using my 3800 for just over a week and have occasionally found that heavier papers, e.g Da Vinchi Fibre Gloss, Lyson Sooth Fine Art, Somerset Velvet enhanced can sometimes seem to pick up ink off the heads at the edges of the paper if not absolutely flat.

The driver has two options that might have an effect on the results from non-OEM papers; Paper thickness and platen gap.
From what I can see the platen gap is a new option on this model’s driver, so I don’t know if anyone has any experience of what it does or how it works in conjunction with the paper thickness option.

I assume that setting these options incorrectly may cause the heads to strike the paper which I’m sure would give serious problems with either jamming and/or clogging due to debris getting stuck in the nozzles. So I’m approaching experimentation rather cautiously.
This is also complicated by the fact that few manufacturers give paper thickness in their specification, just gsm weights.

Initial tests seem to suggest that setting the paper thickness to a large figure reduces printed resolution significantly, but changing the platen gap might make less difference, but without knowing how the ‘auto’ setting on the platen gap option works, drawing firm conclusions is difficult.
Has anyone seen how this works documented anywhere yet ?
It may be that one can increase the platen gap when working with less than perfectly flat media without adversely effecting resolution.
Has anyone else explored these options yet ?

As usual with documentation these days, it’s not clear from the manual how these settings interact or how to set them up correctly. I’ve already discovered several errors and incongruities in the PDF manual too, which isn’t very helpful. Epson UK’s technical support don’t seem to be very clued up about the model yet either, so they’re no help.
Buried in the printer’s own menus is a range of paper options, but it’s not completely clear if these are always over-ridden by the OS driver or interact with the driver’s instructions on each print job.
Anyone know ?

Thanks in advance for any other experiences people here can help me with. Once I’ve found out all I can, it will be written up in a user review on our web site.

Paul Holman
www.colourprofiles.com

picnic

Epson 3800 driver options
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 01:22:42 pm »

Has anyone with an Epson 3800 experimented with the advanced paper settings yet ?

I’ve been using my 3800 for just over a week and have occasionally found that heavier papers, e.g Da Vinchi Fibre Gloss, Lyson Sooth Fine Art, Somerset Velvet enhanced can sometimes seem to pick up ink off the heads at the edges of the paper if not absolutely flat.

The driver has two options that might have an effect on the results from non-OEM papers; Paper thickness and platen gap.
From what I can see the platen gap is a new option on this model’s driver, so I don’t know if anyone has any experience of what it does or how it works in conjunction with the paper thickness option.

I assume that setting these options incorrectly may cause the heads to strike the paper which I’m sure would give serious problems with either jamming and/or clogging due to debris getting stuck in the nozzles. So I’m approaching experimentation rather cautiously.
This is also complicated by the fact that few manufacturers give paper thickness in their specification, just gsm weights.

Initial tests seem to suggest that setting the paper thickness to a large figure reduces printed resolution significantly, but changing the platen gap might make less difference, but without knowing how the ‘auto’ setting on the platen gap option works, drawing firm conclusions is difficult.
Has anyone seen how this works documented anywhere yet ?
It may be that one can increase the platen gap when working with less than perfectly flat media without adversely effecting resolution.
Has anyone else explored these options yet ?

As usual with documentation these days, it’s not clear from the manual how these settings interact or how to set them up correctly. I’ve already discovered several errors and incongruities in the PDF manual too, which isn’t very helpful. Epson UK’s technical support don’t seem to be very clued up about the model yet either, so they’re no help.
Buried in the printer’s own menus is a range of paper options, but it’s not completely clear if these are always over-ridden by the OS driver or interact with the driver’s instructions on each print job.
Anyone know ?

Thanks in advance for any other experiences people here can help me with. Once I’ve found out all I can, it will be written up in a user review on our web site.

Paul Holman
www.colourprofiles.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul, on the DigitalBlackandWhitePrint list someone suggested that the US driver was available and several downloaded it to look (they mostly print with 4800, 7800, etc. in addition to smaller printers).  One of them made particular note of the fact that this printer ALSO had platen gap adjustments so I'm assuming the larger pro printers have it already.  Thus---you should be able to get some help on this.   Of course---we are waiting for ours here in the US.

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up