Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Australia  (Read 3965 times)

marcvezina

Australia
« on: November 26, 2006, 04:52:39 pm »

I am leaving for Australia in a month from now. After a bit of research I've come up with an incredible large number of National Parks and obviously the Urulu/Ayers Rock area (But Ayers Rock is too far from where I am going). I'll be around the Sydney Area. Anyone has had  any luck with great spots for landscape photography around there? I'll be there for quite a while and some days off are definitly on the agenda. That way I can permit myself to drive away for a whole day in search of good spots.

Or if anyone knows of a ressource (a landscape photographer's guide, workshops, etc.) in or nearby the Sydney area, I'd be greatful.

Thanks
Marc Vezina
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 04:53:03 pm by marcvezina »

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:48:32 am »

BUMP...

I would like to 2nd this request....

Thoughts on shooting along the great costal highway, etc?

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 10:57:53 am »

Not sure if you would consider city scapes to be landscapes, but there are plenty of landscape-y type opportunities in and around the Sydney CBD. A walk through the Darling Harbour district, around beneath the Sydney Harbour Bridge, across the front of Circular Quay, around the Opera House promenade, through the botanical gardens, and around to MacQuarie's Chair will yield plenty of scenes, all different depending on the time of day and position of the sun.

Then you've got Bondi, and/or Manley beaches and their surrounds (both only a jetcat away).

If you want to get right out of Sydney then consider the "Blue Mountains". A couple of hours by car, but totally different scenery. Probably best done as an overnight stay.

For the 2nd poster, asking about the Great Ocean Road (which is west of Melbourne) . . . the 12 Apostles is the main attraction, but that entire coastline can provide countless landscape / seascape opportunities. Also probably best enjoyed as an overnight trip from Melbourne, i.e. drive west for a day, stay over in one of the many B&Bs, and drive back the next day.
Regards, HILTON

Ray

Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:19:34 am »

Australis's a big, rough country. The biggest island in the woirld. There are no simple recipes for photographers.

Before you visit a country, you shoud have some idea as to what attracts you.

As an Austrslian, I really hesitate to give advice on what to see. Why would you make a decisioin or express an interest in coming to Australia unless you've already found something you're interested in?

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 01:56:09 am »

Australis's a big, rough country. The biggest island in the woirld. There are no simple recipes for photographers.

Before you visit a country, you shoud have some idea as to what attracts you.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91191\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like Ray said, it's a big place.

Around Sydney try the Harbour Walk all along the northern shore, or as already mentioned there are hundreds of trails in the Blue Mountains (but it is VERY easy to get lost, or worse).

The Great Ocean Road is excellent. Do it as a several day trip from Melbourne. You go right through the Otway Ranges rainforest along the way. At the Apostles there are great views from sea level via the Gibson Steps - but not if it is rough! Also around Melbourne the forests around the Black Spur are very photogenic.

Have fun! But make sure you wear plenty of sunscreen & a hat! Carry water etc. Mid summer in Oz isn't like summer in the States (even in Arizona or Utah).

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 05:42:01 am »

If you get a chance go outback. Best do it with a tour company unless you really know what you are doing. Places like Arnhem Land, The Macdonnell Ranges , The Kimberlys are spectacular but dangerous. The last time I was Lake Mungo (it has been dry for most of the last 20,000 years) it was 50 degrees C. The flies wouldn't crawl, let alone take off.
It sounds like you want to stick close to Sydney, . Great town. The National Parks and beaches near there will provide some great images.Even then check fire warnings. There is one near us at the moment that has burnt out 500,000 hectares and is still going.
Have fun
I wouldn't live anywhere else
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

tived

• http://
Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 10:46:34 pm »

I am on the west australian coast, (though Danish) and have been to the east coast a few times, both Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

This is one huge country/island and there are plenty of places to photograph, , but everything is so far apart, that it is almost impossible to cover everything, unless you are Rubert Murduch with a bottomless wallet.

In WA, there is the South West (3-4 hours drive from Perth), which is beautiful, better in the short time of spring or autumn, I think each season here is about two weeks each ;-)

then there is the far north, which is rough country, with gorges, lots of wildlife, the Kimberley and the also the Bungle Bungle is an interesting area, that i personally would like to go and photograph one day. its only 2-2500 km north of perth :-)

Damn there is so much to see here, it would take a life time, its an amazing place.

Now, don't forget fly spray, plenty of sun lotion, cos it gets hot here. conditions here can get very extreeme.

If you are planning on going to the Great Coast Road south of Melbourne, don't take a tour, drive yourself so you can photograph when the light is right. I did the mistake myself, though it is a 3 hour drive from Melb.

anyway, I hope you have a fab time when you get here

Henrik
A Dane Down Under

Brentbat

Australia
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 05:55:17 am »

Or if anyone knows of a ressource (a landscape photographer's guide, workshops, etc.) in or nearby the Sydney area, I'd be greatful.

Thanks
Marc Vezina

Hi Mark
Both my father and I live in Sydney and are keen photographers,  you might want to check out some of my Dad's galleries at http://keithpearson.smugmug.com  He has quite a few galleries of Sydney as well as landscapes from all over the place.  If you want to focus on Sydney, there are some interesting subjects down around the rocks http://keithpearson.smugmug.com/gallery/1557300  as well the classic Sydney Icons

There are also some interesting photos around Anzac bridge, here's a couple from my gallery (http://brentbat.smugmug.com).

In terms of outback Australia,  it will be very hot in Feb.  If you are going out to Northern Territory, beware, it is the wet season.  I would also recommend the Blue Mountains,  lots of incredible panoramas and views.

If you have specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them, drop me an email at brent.pearson@hrx.com.au

Good luck

Brent
Pages: [1]   Go Up