Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Level - LaCie 319 / OPTIX XR  (Read 3377 times)

marcvezina

Black Level - LaCie 319 / OPTIX XR
« on: November 26, 2006, 04:30:31 pm »

The whole calibration process and final result using OPTIX XR calibration tool with LaCie 319 display is so very much dependant on the Black Level setting on the LaCie display - I've done quite a few tests and seen the results. And the default setting renders quite a dark display. The problem is that the OPTIX XR software is not taking into account this setting. It doesn't mesure it and asks for no adjustment. Doesn't even seem to know it exists. Would someone with experience using OPTIX XR calibration tool with LaCie 3xx display would know how to go about this issue? What is the Black Level setting? Is it Gamma? If it is why use percentage values in the setting? The default value is 48.9% - what does this mean? What is the best setting (if there's one)? But most of all how do I integrate  the Black Level setting into the OPTIX XR workflow?

I need help on this one...

Thanks
Marc Vezina
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 04:32:19 pm by marcvezina »

marcvezina

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:13:15 pm »

Bump
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 06:20:38 pm by marcvezina »

marcvezina

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 06:18:34 pm »

I've decided to bump this post as it is very important to me. I still believe someone must have used succesfully the OPTIX XR and LaCie display combination sucessfully. I'll make my question more concise and hope, this time around, that the right person happens to read this forum.

How do I integrate the Black Level setting of the LaCie Display into the OPTIX XR calibration workflow?

Cross my finger...
Thanks
Marc Vezina

dasmo

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 11:55:44 am »

Hi Marc--

I don't know if this will help at all, but I have the same monitor, using it with eye one pro 2.  I originally tried to use the software that came with the colorimeter but it required me to make manual adjustments.  Tried it and didn't get very good results.  So I uninstalled and tried to use the blue eye pro software that came with the monitor.  it works great.  it seems more than happy to recognise other colorimeters (though I don't know if that includes the optix xr) _and_ if you right click on the title bar of the calibration window, it opens up an 'advanced options' menu, where you can change the actual black point and also set different adaptive color renderings.

AND it is completely automatic--no fiddling with manual brightness settings!

try it out. hopefully it will work for you too.

now I just need to find some info on von kries adaptive color rendering....

I've decided to bump this post as it is very important to me. I still believe someone must have used succesfully the OPTIX XR and LaCie display combination sucessfully. I'll make my question more concise and hope, this time around, that the right person happens to read this forum.

How do I integrate the Black Level setting of the LaCie Display into the OPTIX XR calibration workflow?

Cross my finger...
Thanks
Marc Vezina
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

marcvezina

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 11:42:41 pm »

Thanks - I'll look into the blue eye software, By the way I have obtained pretty ggod result by lowering the black level to 48%. This was just trial and error - but it works now

Thanks
Marc Vezina
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:54:20 pm by marcvezina »

dasmo

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 10:52:54 am »

Cool! as long as it works and the image maps.

The nice thing about the blue eye pro is that it separates the setting for black level and luminance (the latter is, I believe, what you have been changing?).  This is good because on my monitor I've found that lowering the luminance too far adversely effects deltaE (or how 'accurate' the colors are).

but then, it sounds like your profiling software is also doing something weird, like combining black level and luminance.  or calling black level  luminance. who knows.

I have the opposite problem!  There is no such thing as a shadow on my monitor, though it's definitely there in print.  It's nice for editing because I can 'see' everything, but i have to remind myself to trust the numbers and not my eyes as far as brightness goes.  I'm going to run a bunch of different calibrations over the break and hopefully change my black level a little. colors are so perfect and precise tho that I don't wan't to screw those up...

Thanks - I'll look into the blue eye software, By the way I have obtained pretty ggod result by lowering the black level to 48%. This was just trial and error - but it works now

Thanks
Marc Vezina
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up