Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 24-105mm Image Stabilizing Problem  (Read 7330 times)

owyn

Canon 24-105mm Image Stabilizing Problem
« on: November 26, 2006, 03:08:25 am »

Hello,

I recently purchased the Canon 24-105mm lens.

After using the lens on a number of occasions I've noticed that when the IS mode was turned on the image seen in the view finder would "jump". This was  especially noticed when composing for an upright image and not a landscape one.

I also noticed that when the camera was placed on a tripod with the IS turned on the IS would make the image in the view finder jump continuosly until I had no choice but to turn it off.

I remember that older generations of IS have had this problem, however, it was fixed in later generations.

It surprises me that canon would put an old IS version in a new lens such as the 24-105mm and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this behavior from this lens.

Thanks,

Rahaf

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 06:23:52 am »

I've had my 24-105 lens for about 5 months now. I don't have the problem that you describe, however, out of the box the lens was not sharp even when manually focused. I sent it back immediately to Canon who took 4 weeks to get it back to me, but it's been working great ever since.

It has replaced my 24-70 f2.8 L as the "standard" lens for my 1DsMkII and 20D.

Perhaps you should sent it back to Canon to get it checked out?

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

cescx

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:23:26 am »

I purchased the 24-105 4 months ago, and not problem with the IS mode or focusing. Send the lens to canon to replace-it.
Francesc Costa

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 01:28:17 pm »

After using the lens on a number of occasions I've noticed that when the IS mode was turned on the image seen in the view finder would "jump". This was  especially noticed when composing for an upright image and not a landscape one.

I also noticed that when the camera was placed on a tripod with the IS turned on the IS would make the image in the view finder jump continuosly until I had no choice but to turn it off.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87113\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your lens is normal. One of the advantages of lens based IS is you can see it working. The movement you see in the viewfinder is normal. I own 3 IS lenses and they all do this to some extent, ranging from a slow "drift" to occasional "jumps."

Page E-7 of your manual recommends you turn off IS when mounted on a tripod. Only the supertelephotos have tripod sensing and panning IS modes. Your lens only has IS for hand holding while shooting stationary objects. Tripod vibration is normally not a problem with small lenses. Why would  you want to waste battery power on IS when using a tripod?
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

owyn

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:05:31 am »

Your lens is normal. One of the advantages of lens based IS is you can see it working. The movement you see in the viewfinder is normal. I own 3 IS lenses and they all do this to some extent, ranging from a slow "drift" to occasional "jumps."

I also own 2 other IS lenses and they do not display the occasional jumps. Even when tripod mounted. Non of them is a super telephoto.

Page E-7 of your manual recommends you turn off IS when mounted on a tripod. Only the supertelephotos have tripod sensing and panning IS modes. Your lens only has IS for hand holding while shooting stationary objects. Tripod vibration is normally not a problem with small lenses. Why would  you want to waste battery power on IS when using a tripod?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Leaving the IS turned on when tripod mounted can be useful in harsh conditions, However, when I mount the camera on a tripod I usually forget to switch the IS off. I would expect this lens to behave the way my other IS lenses behave and to sense the camera is static and not activate the IS.
And like I already mentioned, the "jump" and "drift" occur when composing for an upright shot.
I don't believe this is a normal behavor of IS mode.

Thanks anyway.

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 04:01:50 am »

Leaving the IS turned on when tripod mounted can be useful in harsh conditions, However, when I mount the camera on a tripod I usually forget to switch the IS off. I would expect this lens to behave the way my other IS lenses behave and to sense the camera is static and not activate the IS.
And like I already mentioned, the "jump" and "drift" occur when composing for an upright shot.
I don't believe this is a normal behavor of IS mode.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87312\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, I have used IS while tripod mounted hundreds of times since 1999. The trade winds here in Hawaii cause enough vibration to spoil a photo, so IS can be a saving grace if you use it with intelligence. Thus, it would be a bummer if the lens automatically disabled IS when a tripod is sensed! However under calm conditions lenses with standard IS, e.g., 24-105 IS or 28-135 IS, will often cause artifacts as they spasm, so you gotta turn it off. Luckily there is a switch on the lens, so it only takes a moment.

As for the "jump" and "drift," it was extreme with my old EOS 5, 10S and Elan. Oddly, it is far less apparent with newer bodies such as the Elan 7NE, 20D and 5D. Nevertheless, I notice it nearly everytime I use IS. I haven't owned a supertele with tripod enabled IS--are they smoother?--but my EF 300 4L IS USM, 75-300 IS USM, 28-135 IS USM and 24-105 IS 4L USM were very similar as far as amount of "jump" and "drift" with my newer film and digital bodies.

"I would expect this lens to behave the way my other IS lenses behave and to sense the camera is static and not activate the IS."

You must have dreamed this spec! It is not mentioned in the manual, the white paper, Canon USA website nor any reviews I have read. This feature is only used on the highend supertelephotos, e.g., EF 400 2.8L IS USM, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 04:03:55 am by gochugogi »
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try
Pages: [1]   Go Up