Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume  (Read 8434 times)

KSG Find Anawers

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« on: November 25, 2006, 09:13:58 pm »

I need to know what type of problems can arise when Windows XP Home and Adobe CS2 are installed on the same physical drive. I have had problems for about 10 months now; MS, Adobe, HP have been aware of the many issues, I have gotten no where with any of them, they just keep passing the ball to the other company.
I have one drive (C:) 176 GB with 156 GB free space. Should I have another drive installed or partition the (C:) drive to try and resolve the adobe Photoshop and possibly the other remaining problems?

I bought recovery CD'S from HP a couple of weeks ago after reinstalling the OS two different times using the back-up CD's I made through the PC. I thought my system had possibly been corrupted when installed by HP at the factory.

The recovery CD's appear to have solved some of the problems; I still get an error message; I also got the windows and adobe scratch paging Volume message once before the last reinstall and then once again after reinstalling the recovery CD's I bought from HP.

I learned last night that Windows XP Home and Adobe Photoshop CS2 should be set on two different drives or at least partitioned into two separate drives one for Windows the other for Adobe CS2. I had told Adobe about this message when it popped up the first time, they sent me to MS. MS ignored my question(s).

After what I learned last night about Windows and Adobe Photoshop CS2 I am asking for help with these problems. I am grateful for any advice given. Darlene

TurnerJon

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 02:47:05 am »

Putting the Windows and Adobe swap files on seperate physical drives is the best option, although at greatest cost. Next best would be seperate partitions for each. When making swap partitions, make the first partition for windows 2-3x memory size. The second partition would be for Adobe sized based on you typical file size usage(include extra room for layers, stitching , etc.). Third partition for Windows OS. Make a fourth partition for data storage. This way if Windows gets corrupted you only need to fix the windows partition (Norton Ghost). Putting your swap partitions first will put them on the fastest part of the hard drive. Once partitions are created and Windows re-installed be sure to assign the swap files to thier partitions, and disable the Windows swap file in the Windows patition.

Hope this helps

Jon

KSG Find Anawers

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 09:59:57 am »

Putting the Windows and Adobe swap files on seperate physical drives is the best option, although at greatest cost. Next best would be seperate partitions for each. When making swap partitions, make the first partition for windows 2-3x memory size. The second partition would be for Adobe sized based on you typical file size usage(include extra room for layers, stitching , etc.). Third partition for Windows OS. Make a fourth partition for data storage. This way if Windows gets corrupted you only need to fix the windows partition (Norton Ghost). Putting your swap partitions first will put them on the fastest part of the hard drive. Once partitions are created and Windows re-installed be sure to assign the swap files to thier partitions, and disable the Windows swap file in the Windows patition.

Hope this helps

Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87110\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jon, your info much appreciated: Sense I am near total non PC savvy, I have another question. Jon I know this will cost more up-front sense it’s the holiday season I may find a good price; would an external HD work for the Adobe Photoshop CS2 software suite? If it will, do I just install plug it in; then reinstall the Adobe suite on that drive? Should need arise can an external HD be switched to my second PC a back-up to my first PC? I have not installed the Canon ipf 5000 yet due to these issues, but hope to soon. Sorry but I do not understand most PC language; this experience has taught me a lot most the hard way; I am sure I will continue to learn in this adventure of my heart. Thanks so much Darlene

TurnerJon

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 11:37:31 am »

Darlene,

You could install photoshop on an external hard-drive, but it would run quite a bit slower than when installed on an internal hard-drive. You can get a new internal hard-drive for less money than an external as well. If you want to get a new drive, I would get a smaller capacity internal drive. This would make a good inexpensive choice.
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148013

If you know anyone locally that can install it for you, you can assign both swap files to it and use the remainder as additional storage.

Any small local computer store could also provide you with a hard-drive as well as the install and setup work for a reasonable price. I would avoid the big box retailers for any install work.

KSG Find Anawers

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 09:27:48 pm »

Darlene,

You could install photoshop on an external hard-drive, but it would run quite a bit slower than when installed on an internal hard-drive. You can get a new internal hard-drive for less money than an external as well. If you want to get a new drive, I would get a smaller capacity internal drive. This would make a good inexpensive choice.
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822148013

If you know anyone locally that can install it for you, you can assign both swap files to it and use the remainder as additional storage.

Any small local computer store could also provide you with a hard-drive as well as the install and setup work for a reasonable price. I would avoid the big box retailers for any install work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Jon, I'll likely do what you suggested; another HD will work best due to my limited PC knowledge; I believe I could follow the instructions to partition the (C:) drive but I don't want to take any chances on possibly causing more issues than those caused by the Windows and Adobe software already have; these PC problems have gone on long enough as it is. These issues have caused us to put off the startup of my American Dream; writing and printing inspirational greeting cards. I realize the Canon ipf 5000 is a large machine for cards but we plan to add more items as we grow. Darlene

TurnerJon

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 12:56:13 am »

Good luck with your new venture. If you need any other help, feel free to e-mail me. I don't always check in here daily, but I will check my e-mail daily.

soewe812 <at> hotmail.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 01:05:53 am »

I learned last night that Windows XP Home and Adobe Photoshop CS2 should be set on two different drives or at least partitioned into two separate drives one for Windows the other for Adobe CS2.

Save your money on drives for now. As noted already, it's not the programs but Photoshop's scratch discs (temporary file space) that should ideally be on separate drives - ideally, I stress. From your posts over the last month, with endless reinstalls, virus wild goose chases, and insufficiently specific appeals for help, it's very clear that you'd be best advised to spend your energy and money not on drives but on a good local guy who can see precisely what your setup is, what you're doing, what the problems are, and help you through this. You're not going to find the answers on forums. Good luck.

John

KSG Find Anawers

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 05:39:31 pm »

Save your money on drives for now. As noted already, it's not the programs but Photoshop's scratch discs (temporary file space) that should ideally be on separate drives - ideally, I stress. From your posts over the last month, with endless reinstalls, virus wild goose chases, and insufficiently specific appeals for help, it's very clear that you'd be best advised to spend your energy and money not on drives but on a good local guy who can see precisely what your setup is, what you're doing, what the problems are, and help you through this. You're not going to find the answers on forums. Good luck.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87307\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John, I just came across your reply to my dilemmas. I had been in the hospital a few days ago and I just got the PC back from Best Buy after a week, for the second time. I had them install a second HD on the system due to the advice given on this forum; I thought it to be my only other option sense all else has failed. John we hired two different PC tech's one was from Best Buy, the other highly recommended to us, they could not find the cause of the problem(s). I had never heard of scratch or paging volume until about a month ago, when I got two adobe windows scratch paging volume errors. I have asked several different PC knowledgeable Companies about the adobe, window issues; they stated they had never heard of such problems. I cannot afford to hire another PC tech without positive results; the last two said they could fix the problem(s), they could not. John I know that my PC knowledge is very limited, how do you learn without asking? For myself and many others I'm sure PC's are sort of like trying to learn a new language; wording questions without sufficient knowledge of that language or (the PC OS) to fully or totally ask correctly. When you stated in your reply "You're not going to find the answers on forums". Was your remark a kind way of saying don't ask anymore questions using this forum? Darlene

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 06:33:19 pm »

Darlene:

I'm at a loss to understand your problems.  I personally run Photoshop CS-2 on both my laptop (a Dell) and home computers.  I'm not doing *anything* special on the laptop in regard to the Windows XP pagefile, or the Photoshop paging file.  Photoshop runs just fine on this machine.

There appears to be a bit of confusion regarding "paging" or swap files, let me explain the difference:

Windows:  Like all modern operating systems, Windows is capable of commiting more memory (RAM) than physically exists - it does this via a pagefile on the disk.  The purpose is to allow least used memory (again RAM) to be "swapped" out to the disk, in order to free memory up.  If data and/or program memory is called back up later - then this memory is retreived from the hard disk back into RAM.  If this sounds cluncky and slow - it is!  I would recommend no less than 1GB RAM, preferably 2GB for any computer that is running Photoshop.

Photoshop:  The PS scratch file simply contains copies of the image you are working on through the various changes you make.  If you "step back" changes you've made, you are simply retrieving one of the "scratch" images that are saved to disk.

Please note that the two do not interact with each other in any direct way, although they may well both be in use at any given time.

A couple of questions:

What filesystem are you running?  Windows XP supports both FAT32 and NTFS file systems.  FAT32 is absolute rubbish.  *Any* problem writing to disk will result in a corrupted filesystem!  Camera CF cards also use FAT32, know what the Pro's do everytime they put the card back in the camera?  They format it - ensuring a clean filesystem to write to.  Convert to NTFS via Control Panel.

You mention an Adobe "scratch file error", could you tell us *exactly* what the error states?  From your description it sounds like you might have a physical problem with either the hard disk or possibly memory.  Try running a chkdsk (My Computer | Local Disk C-Drive | Properties | Tools Tab and click the Check now button).  Let us know the results!

hope this helps . . . -John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 06:41:02 pm by Joh.Murray »

KSG Find Anawers

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 09:06:35 pm »

Darlene:

I'm at a loss to understand your problems.  I personally run Photoshop CS-2 on both my laptop (a Dell) and home computers.  I'm not doing *anything* special on the laptop in regard to the Windows XP pagefile, or the Photoshop paging file.  Photoshop runs just fine on this machine.

There appears to be a bit of confusion regarding "paging" or swap files, let me explain the difference:

Windows:  Like all modern operating systems, Windows is capable of commiting more memory (RAM) than physically exists - it does this via a pagefile on the disk.  The purpose is to allow least used memory (again RAM) to be "swapped" out to the disk, in order to free memory up.  If data and/or program memory is called back up later - then this memory is retreived from the hard disk back into RAM.  If this sounds cluncky and slow - it is!  I would recommend no less than 1GB RAM, preferably 2GB for any computer that is running Photoshop.

Photoshop:  The PS scratch file simply contains copies of the image you are working on through the various changes you make.  If you "step back" changes you've made, you are simply retrieving one of the "scratch" images that are saved to disk.

Please note that the two do not interact with each other in any direct way, although they may well both be in use at any given time.

A couple of questions:

What filesystem are you running?  Windows XP supports both FAT32 and NTFS file systems.  FAT32 is absolute rubbish.  *Any* problem writing to disk will result in a corrupted filesystem!  Camera CF cards also use FAT32, know what the Pro's do everytime they put the card back in the camera?  They format it - ensuring a clean filesystem to write to.  Convert to NTFS via Control Panel.

You mention an Adobe "scratch file error", could you tell us *exactly* what the error states?  From your description it sounds like you might have a physical problem with either the hard disk or possibly memory.  Try running a chkdsk (My Computer | Local Disk C-Drive | Properties | Tools Tab and click the Check now button).  Let us know the results!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89293\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John, the OS: HP Pavilion Intel [R]
Pentium [R] 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
3.00 GHz, 0.99GB of Ram
Physical Address Extention

I could not find how to convert the file system to NTFS if indeed the PC uses FAT 32. I went to the control panel but could not find where to convert the file system nor findout which is running.

Thanks for telling me to format the card for the camera each time I download the pics onto the PC, I did not know that; I know less about pic taking than I do about a PC, I haven’t had many chances to learn more then the basics of taking pics due to the many PC issues in the past year and half; I've been trying hard to resolve the PC issues first. I haven’t installed the intuos 3 tablets I have had for a year and a half; I thought it best to find the source of the problem(s) first. I haven't installed the canon ipf 5000 ether, I know it will not print smaller than 8 by 10, I hope to do more than just greeting cards one day.

Right now it appears that most of the past PC problems are working correctly. (I must state they have appeared to work properly in the past and later proved
un-true later.

John the PS error reads: You currently have adobe Photoshop’s primary scratch and windows primary paging file on the same volume which can result in reduced performance it is recommended that u set adobe Photoshop’s primary scratch volume to be on a different volume preferably on a different physical drive.

chkdsk: both boxes were unchecked (I do not know what steps to take if any due to both boxes being un-checked; again I am sorry, I have no knowledge in this area at all.

I appreciate all of the information you can give me so that I can proceed with my American Dream writing greeting cards.

John I know very little about such things as the how’s and whys in the running of PC's, software’s and such; but I know the pain that often surrounds millions of people each day, the purpose for my cards are to reach out inspiring hope to those who feel hopeless and alone. I write from the heart of any situation, inspiring the heart(s) in despair without hope seemly without hope.

Just a small reminder for each person reading this I am somewhat dyslexic with vision problems due to a birth defect, complicated years later by a muscular disease. (I have a friend that edits each of my cards). I've fought a long up-hill battle and won due to my trust in our creator and my husbands love. Often I could not see light at the end of the tunnel. But I found through learning as life handed me many advirisities the light was there through all the trying times. I expected the light one way but His guiding light came in different way. I have a wonderful Husband; 32 years now. I feel very fortunate to have learned many lessons in my life. I know what's really important, what brings true happiness. It’s not the heigth of your stature is within the community or even having large sums of money, yet money can help make life easier. Happiness is having mutual respect for one another no matter what our background may or may not be; mainly having respect for ones self. We were not promised life will be smooth all the way but we are promised a chance to do the best we can each day of our lives; no matter what each day brings. We’ve all made poor choices at times but in doing so we hopefully learned valuable lessons; helping us put our priorities in order. Thanks again for your help! Darlene

Added note I have Widows XP Home SP 2, MS Office XP Pro 2003 to aide in spelling etc. up-graded to adobe CS 2, Macromedia studio mx 04; Nothing but OS and Office Adobe CS, the 30 day MS office is listed in the program files, they were off but with repeated installs it is there again. darlene
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 09:25:34 pm by KSG Find Anawers »

silvergc

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 10:58:28 am »

That message is not an "error" message, but simply a notice to you that the windows page file and the Photoshop scratch file are sharing the same partition on the same hard disk.  I suggest you go over to the Adobe Photoshop forums to get help.  There are folks over there who are very knowledgeable about Photoshop, and can help you get past this issue.

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/index.html

BTW, simply adding the additional hard disk will not change things.  You will need to go into the Photoshop preferences window and tell it to use the second hard disk for it scracth files.  Also, you can run just fine this way.  Ignore the message.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 11:11:14 am »

Darlene:

The "General" Tab of C-Drive Properties will indicate whether the Drives Filesystem is NTFS.  If *not*:

Click Start Button | Run | type "cmd",  in the black command prompt window type "convert c: /fs:ntfs"   then press [Enter] (don't type the quotes)

Also, if your filesystem *is* NTFS, starting a checkdisk (I check the top checkbox: "Automatically Fix Errors", and leave the bottom checkbox cleared) will result in a message telling you that this has been scheduled on the next reboot - the filesystem type will be identified while chkdsk is running.

Finally, format the CF card using the camera

Best of luck to you - keep at it!  -John
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 11:20:06 am by Joh.Murray »

KSG Find Anawers

Adobe CS2 Scratch Volume
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 01:00:12 pm »

Darlene:

I'm at a loss to understand your problems.  I personally run Photoshop CS-2 on both my laptop (a Dell) and home computers.  I'm not doing *anything* special on the laptop in regard to the Windows XP pagefile, or the Photoshop paging file.  Photoshop runs just fine on this machine.

Windows:  Like all modern operating systems, Windows is capable of commiting more memory (RAM) than physically exists - it does this via a pagefile on the disk.  The purpose is to allow least used memory (again RAM) to be "swapped" out to the disk, in order to free memory up.  If data and/or program memory is called back up later - then this memory is retreived from the hard disk back into RAM.  If this sounds cluncky and slow - it is!  I would recommend no less than 1GB RAM, preferably 2GB for any computer that is running Photoshop.

Photoshop:  The PS scratch file simply contains copies of the image you are working on through the various changes you make.  If you "step back" changes you've made, you are simply retrieving one of the "scratch" images that are saved to disk.

A couple of questions:

What filesystem are you running?  Windows XP supports both FAT32 and NTFS file systems.  FAT32 is absolute rubbish.  *Any* problem writing to disk will result in a corrupted filesystem!  Camera CF cards also use FAT32, know what the Pro's do everytime they put the card back in the camera?  They format it - ensuring a clean filesystem to write to.  Convert to NTFS via Control Panel.

You mention an Adobe "scratch file error", could you tell us *exactly* what the error states?  From your description it sounds like you might have a physical problem with either the hard disk or possibly memory.  Try running a chkdsk (My Computer | Local Disk C-Drive | Properties | Tools Tab and click the Check now button).  Let us know the results!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89293\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John I checked the system files like you told me  they are NTFS I also checked the automaticly fix file system errors, I just went back to see what the top box was called and it was no longer checked; Is it not supposed to stay checked or do I often go and recheck it? I clicked start the message scheduled on next reboot, another question what's the correct way to format the CF card, I have two large cards so Tiff would not matter space wise, but then on the PC do I save as Tiff as well for better quality Photos? Could any one please tell me how to set the Canon ipf 5000 to use Neenah's Classic Linen Avon Brilliant White BWT 80 Finish Linen? I understand that folks much like myself can un-nerve a lot of people at times. Thank you all for taking extra steps to help me.

Second thought hold off if any of you might know the settings for the above media, there's a locial media supplier near by I need to go out anyway so I will run by there and check all of their paper options first, I don't want you to give answers then not use them. Thanks again darlene
PS Back from Media store: I got samples of Domtar Nekoosa recycled white 80 lb 216 gsm and some Neenah 80 lb cover listed above, The printed sample on the Domatr is beautiful as to how the canon will print compared to is yet to be known. The neenah shows a print by a canon IR 3200 it's nice as well. The prices of each of these media's are affordable too. If anyone knows the profiles for ether of these two medias using the canon ipf 5000 please let me know it will be much appreaciated also save me timeless tires saving time; I have already lost a year and a half and countless money. thanks again hopefully in the future there will be far less questiions that I will need answers to afther I get the PS scratch installed correctly. darlene
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:03:49 pm by KSG Find Anawers »
Pages: [1]   Go Up