Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need recomendation for a decent 35MM /MF film scan  (Read 6159 times)

hassiman

Need recomendation for a decent 35MM /MF film scan
« on: November 23, 2006, 08:35:44 pm »

Hello,

I am looking for a film scanner to scan my 35mm and 6X6 color and B&W negs and transparancies.  I would like high resolution and a good d-max.

I don't have a lot to spend, so I have been considering the Epson V-700, the Microtek i800/i900 as well as the new HP scanjet 8500g flatbeds.  I have also been considering a Nikon Supercoolscan 9000.

I was wondering if any of you have tried any of the machines and could give me some advice as to which I should buy.  I am using a MacPro with OSX and CS2.

It seems the more I read the more confusing it gets.... The included software... the negative carriers.  I wish I cloud try them out before I buy... but I can't.

What's your opinion of these items... have any of you used them?

Is there another unit I should be considering?

Any good?

Thanks,

Rich
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:11:04 pm by hassiman »

Ray

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 01:53:04 am »

If you are after high resolution and high D-Max for scanning film, the advice has always been to get a dedicated film scanner rather than a flatbed. Epson keep coming out with new models of flatbeds with very impressive specs. Their latest Perfection V750-M Pro with an optical resolution of 6400 dpi sounds mouth-watering but I doubt the results with film would be as good as the Nikon 9000 can produce. Dynamic range seems to be generally the weak point with flatbeds, despite the impressive specs.

hassiman

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 08:27:04 am »

If you are after high resolution and high D-Max for scanning film, the advice has always been to get a dedicated film scanner rather than a flatbed. Epson keep coming out with new models of flatbeds with very impressive specs. Their latest Perfection V750-M Pro with an optical resolution of 6400 dpi sounds mouth-watering but I doubt the results with film would be as good as the Nikon 9000 can produce. Dynamic range seems to be generally the weak point with flatbeds, despite the impressive specs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86820\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have heard that the new Wundekind of flatbed/film scanners is the new Microtek M1 which is supposed to surpass the Nikon 9000 for only $800.  Due out in Feb 2007.  Maybe I can wait a few more months to see.  Will supposedly scan those huge MF panoramic negs...

Greg_E

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:37:56 am »

The press release sure reads like it is great, but then again so does the Epson press release... I hope it really is a better machine, if so then I might buy one since it sure is cheaper than a Nikon 9000 at the suggested price of $699 USD.

Independant (non scientific) testing of the Epson v700 and v750 found that the real film resolution was still only around 2400-2500ppi, which is what prevented me from buying it. It did get me to buy a really cheap old Scanview Scanmate 3000 drum scanner that I'm working on cleaning up and getting running. However having a quick and good dry film scanner would be great, and then the ability to scan reflective art up to US Legal size would be nice too.

RonBoyd

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 11:39:49 am »

I am looking for a film scanner to scan my 35mm and 6X6 color and B&W negs and transparancies.  I would like high resolution and a good d-max.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rich,

I am very pleased with my Microtek i900. See review at

[a href=\"http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/MI9/MI9.HTM]http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/MI9/MI9.HTM[/url]

The biggest problem with flattop scanners is the scanning of film through that pesky sheet of glass. The i900 (and related) get around this with a separate "chamber" for film scanning so the image is scanned directly.

So, in effect, you do not need two scanners -- one for film and another for all other scanning.

Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up