Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF5000 roll holder problem...  (Read 5645 times)

cariarer

IPF5000 roll holder problem...
« on: November 23, 2006, 06:42:24 am »

I got my IPF 5000 just a few days ago. It was a presentation machine and I got it a bit cheaper, including the roll holder. When I got it into my office (which is brand new and I don't even have a PC in there yet), I played around with it, looking at the menus.

A bit foolish as I am, I was curious and chose the option to replace a print head (which was already installed). No real harm done there, except that I wasted quite a bit of ink... doh! Well, I put my paper into the roll holder and the printer took it, as it should. Seemingly, replacing the head triggered a adjustment print, since it also wasted about 80cm of roll paper, printing colored bars. Doh again ;o)

I know from that, that the roll holder is ok. Yesterday, I got my Notebook and wanted to set up the printer. I put some A4 paper into the tray and pushed the button to change from automatic to manual feed (which was nonsense, which I realised afterwards) and the printer asked me if I wanted to unload the roll, which I accepted. This worked (though it wasn't quite what I wanted) and I got an "red light" message from the printer, telling me that there is a problem with the roll unit and that I should turn it on.

I turned the printer off and on again. It then initialises and I can hear the roll unit work during startup. Just after the roll unit motor stops, the printer beeps and I get the same message again. I tried to un- and remount the roll paper holder, but it didn't change anything.

If I leave it off, I can print my A4 paper alright. But I can't seem to get the roll holder to work again. None of the buttons work after the printer is turned on (except for info, which doesn't do much).

Did anyone expirience this? I suppose I have made a user error somewhere down the line (oh, I also changed the tray media type to A4 and Premium Glossy paper). I can't believe that the roll unit is all of a sudden deffective.

Kind regards, Marco...

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 10:15:08 am »

My roll holder hasn't arrived yet, but I have had a couple of glitches (disagreement between the GARO status monitor and the printer) that were resolved by either a reboot of the computer, or by unplugging the printer for a minute and then plugging it back in.  The latter does a reset of the printer, and was suggested by Canon support.  Let me know if this helps.

--John

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:23:31 am »

Maybe this will help - I had a roll unit fail. What CS had me do while we were determing what was going was to remove the unit and reinstal the sheet feeder. On-off the printer, and that reinstal the roll unit. Perhaps that will get the printer to acknowledge it is there.
Gary

My roll holder hasn't arrived yet, but I have had a couple of glitches (disagreement between the GARO status monitor and the printer) that were resolved by either a reboot of the computer, or by unplugging the printer for a minute and then plugging it back in.  The latter does a reset of the printer, and was suggested by Canon support.  Let me know if this helps.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86710\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

cariarer

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 02:21:04 am »

Maybe this will help - I had a roll unit fail. What CS had me do while we were determing what was going was to remove the unit and reinstal the sheet feeder. On-off the printer, and that reinstal the roll unit. Perhaps that will get the printer to acknowledge it is there.
Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86722\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Gary,

I tried John's suggestion without success. I guess I told the printer not to remove the roll paper, but the roll paper unit. I tried to remove the roll holder unit turn the printer on and off and then put it back on, also without success. I didn't try to put the sheet feed in though. I'll try that tomorrow, as I'm not going to be at the office today.

I played around a bit further and the printer does not seem to recognize the roll unit, or at least it thinks it shouldn't be there. Maybe it wants the paper feed back first. Like I said, I'll give it a try.

Kind regards, Marco...

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 03:34:14 pm »

I don't know why, but I had to reinstall the driver to get the printer to recognize my roll holder.  Must have been some glitch somewhere, but re-installing the driver on my PC solved the problem... maybe something to try ?

Tony
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

TonyKarp

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 06:40:01 pm »

I don't know why, but I had to reinstall the driver to get the printer to recognize my roll holder.  Must have been some glitch somewhere, but re-installing the driver on my PC solved the problem... maybe something to try ?

Tony
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Before re-installing the software try this. (This is for the PC, but should be similar on the Mac.)

Open up the "Printer Properties" dialog box. You can do this by right-clicking on the printer icon, or from the printer menu if the printer is open.

Look for the tab that says "Device Settings." It should be the rightmost tab.

Make sure that the checkbox that says "Roll Feed Unit" is checked.

I did this and the roll feed unit worked just fine without re-installing the drivers. I suspect that there is a check made when the driver is installed and if there is no roll feed unit present this option is left unchecked.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 06:52:25 pm »

Open up the "Printer Properties" dialog box. You can do this by right-clicking on the printer icon, or from the printer menu if the printer is open.

I did this and the roll feed unit worked just fine without re-installing the drivers.

Brilliant!  My roll holder is coming next week, this should save some effort.  Added to the unofficial Canon IPF5000 Wiki FAQ:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

--John

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 10:58:31 pm »

Before re-installing the software try this. (This is for the PC, but should be similar on the Mac.)

I did this and the roll feed unit worked just fine without re-installing the drivers. I suspect that there is a check made when the driver is installed and if there is no roll feed unit present this option is left unchecked.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good tip Tony Karp!  In case I need to do it again, I'll remember to check the roll feed unit in the Device Settings.  Hadn't even occurred to me to look for a roll feed option in the device settings.  Thanks.
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

cariarer

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 01:53:07 am »

Hello everyone,

first off it was quite an interesting expirience to get support from Canon over here in Germany, as they do not have a direct support for professional equipment. I got the "general" support line, which didn't have a clue. I did some phone calls in "circles", as the send me to another number, just to end again where I started.

I used then the Canon support form on their website. I got a call back and from the description I gave them, they would think it to be a hardware problem.

I found the roll holder setting in the driver already, but that didn't help. Even without being connected to a PC, the printer gives me an error message during the initializing process, telling me to check the roll holder.

I have no idea what caused the unit to fail all of a sudden. Maybe some gear broke or something like this, when the paper was retracted.

I'll contact my dealer again today and see if I can get a replacement unit.

Kind regards, Marco...

Dennishh

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 01:40:55 pm »

Tony,
Thanks for posting this tip about checking roll feeder. I was on the phone with canon for about two hours, did uninstall and reinstall pulse put it on another machine and still didn't work, till I tried your tip.
Thanks
Dennis

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 12:05:50 pm »

I did this, but first clicked "Acquire Status" on the same tab.  The driver found the roll holder, checked the box for me and all was done.  Worked great!

Thanks.

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up