Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: palm springs/salton sea/anza borrego  (Read 2271 times)

scottdp17

palm springs/salton sea/anza borrego
« on: November 22, 2006, 06:44:43 pm »

Hello all,
  Tomorrow I will be going to thanksgiving at my cousins house in Palm Springs and then going down to my parents house in san diego and I was thinking instead of the usual way, to drive down via salton sea and anza borego.  It will only be a one day blitz but I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions of places to stop, there isn't much information on the internet about it.  I live in LA and have been to many places in california but never to the salton sea (although it is in many of my pictures from places like Joshua Tree and San Jacinto).

Thanks,
Scott

Graham Welland

palm springs/salton sea/anza borrego
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 07:41:24 pm »

I soent three days here earlier this year filling up my stock images.

For the classic Salton Sea images (I assume you're looking for crmbling buildings/mobile homes etc into the salt) you should take highway 111 south.

What's left of the Marina and Hotel complex is at Mortmar/Desert Beach. The classic Texaco sign has gone though - no doubt the victim of vandals or perhaps some of the locals to dissuade photographers ... be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.

Carry on further south and you'll see Bombay Beach. You should drive all the way down to the end of the community where you'll come across a sand berm. Take one of the entrances over the berm and you'll reach the marina area where you'll find what's left of the sinking mobile homes.

The more famous image of the country club building and palms has gone. The palms are there but all that's left is a concrete lot with driveway etc. It's also chained up although it was open when I was there earlier. (There's an impressive dual lane road to nowhere leading to this ghost plot). This was in Salton City which is on the west side. However, there are some interesting areas in Desert Shores and Salton Sea Beach areas north of Salton City. These are typically of the abandoned hotel, mobile homes in the brine, beach front property in the water etc. If you're going to get up close to these areas then be respectful of the people there and ask permission otherwise you wont be at all welcome.

Salton City itself is basically a building plot these days. You can find the Sidewinder Golf course in the middle but not much else.

Btw, depending upon the weather and wind conditions, some of these places smell really bad. Think blocked toilet over the weekend bad ....

That said, shoot it while you can because I found that there's noticably less evidence of the former grandeur of the place than I saw in pictures even a few years old.

Of course, if your interest is more wildlife then you'll want to go to the southern end, beyond Bombay Beach, where you'll encounter the wet lands. Lots of bird life down there.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 07:44:02 pm by gwelland »
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up