Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: R4800 or canon ipf5000?  (Read 13976 times)

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« on: November 21, 2006, 08:18:11 pm »

I have a new R4800 that just arrived today, still in box. Just today I learned of the IPF 5000. Switching papers is easier and the unit is less expensive. Trying to decide if I should dive into the 4800 or return it and get a canon ipf5000. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

DC

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 09:10:24 pm »

I have a new R4800 that just arrived today, still in box. Just today I learned of the IPF 5000. Switching papers is easier and the unit is less expensive. Trying to decide if I should dive into the 4800 or return it and get a canon ipf5000. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

DC
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86477\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
addendum: I have read the reviews of ipf5000, but would like to get a couple more opinions please? Thanks

Gary Damaskos

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:23:44 pm »

You must consider what characteristics are important to you. Like switching between matte papers and glossy papers, etc etc.. Make that list, then perhaps post it here and feedback will be more to the point. I choose the iPF5000 when it cost $500 more over the Epson, and so far I have been able to deal with any issue that has presented itself and continued to make great prints - matte and glossy.
Gary

addendum: I have read the reviews of ipf5000, but would like to get a couple more opinions please? Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:16:05 pm »

You must consider what characteristics are important to you. Like switching between matte papers and glossy papers, etc etc.. Make that list, then perhaps post it here and feedback will be more to the point. I choose the iPF5000 when it cost $500 more over the Epson, and so far I have been able to deal with any issue that has presented itself and continued to make great prints - matte and glossy.
Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86486\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the feedback so far. Guess I need to add mor info. I will be making b/w prints from scans of my older b/w negs until I am done editing and working through all those. Then to print new digital files from my Nikon d200. I do not want to hassle with inks in the switching from paper to paper very badly, but am not sure how many paper switches I will be making as I am a newbie. Do I need to buy something like Imageprint for the canon since it has solved the ink switching papaer switching issue?

Tim Ernst

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:28:48 pm »

The Epson is nearly two years old technology and the Canon is much newer - means more these days than it used to with all of the advances. I've used the 4800 for 18 months and just sold it in favor of the Canon - I think you will see a lot of folks doing just that, especially with the big drop in the price of the Canon. The Epson was a fine printer in its day, but I think that day is coming to an end...

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:39:44 pm »

The Epson is nearly two years old technology and the Canon is much newer - means more these days than it used to with all of the advances. I've used the 4800 for 18 months and just sold it in favor of the Canon - I think you will see a lot of folks doing just that, especially with the big drop in the price of the Canon. The Epson was a fine printer in its day, but I think that day is coming to an end...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86495\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you, Tim!    Anyone else have an opinion on this? Thanks.

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 10:41:18 pm »

DC

How much of a factor would the ink tank size make? The Canon has smaller ink tanks, right?

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 11:17:53 pm »

Gary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86486\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure from your reply which one you bought.  ?>>??? Thanks

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 11:21:45 pm »

seems like a lot of 5000 odds and ends in this whole section (not just this thread). Am I seeing a problematic machine or is it just new techy stuff---nevertheless there are problems. How does all that compare to the 4800 which has been around awhile. ???

John Hollenberg

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 11:40:56 pm »

seems like a lot of 5000 odds and ends in this whole section (not just this thread). Am I seeing a problematic machine or is it just new techy stuff---nevertheless there are problems. How does all that compare to the 4800 which has been around awhile. ???
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary bought the IPF5000, as did I.  While there are some issues with the driver and documentation, dealing with clogging on the Epsons is no picnic either, and can consume both ink (=$) and time.  Since I have only had my machine for 3 days and haven't had time to do more than setup and read some of the manual, I can't comment in any meaningful way.  Michael Reichmann, publisher of the Luminous Landscape web site posted that he finally sold his 4800 and kept the IPF5000.  That ought to tell you something, but may not be relevant to your specific needs.

--John

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 06:08:13 am »

Gary bought the IPF5000, as did I.  While there are some issues with the driver and documentation, dealing with clogging on the Epsons is no picnic either, and can consume both ink (=$) and time.  Since I have only had my machine for 3 days and haven't had time to do more than setup and read some of the manual, I can't comment in any meaningful way.  Michael Reichmann, publisher of the Luminous Landscape web site posted that he finally sold his 4800 and kept the IPF5000.  That ought to tell you something, but may not be relevant to your specific needs.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks      I will send back the R4800

Tim Ernst

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 07:09:59 am »

Someone had asked about the ink tank size for the Canon vs. Epson. You can get both the 110ml and 220ml for the Epson, although the 220ml carts do not fit inside the machine completely and stick out. The canon uses 130ml carts. One thing to keep in mind is that you do have to factor in more then just the cost of the ink carts - like how much ink is wasted/flushed out due to clogs, and how much ink is actually used on each print.

No doubt the next generation of Epsons will do a better of job of this and I expect them to leap over the Canons and HPs, which is the cycle we are in at the moment - each new printer being better then the others, which is exactly what you would expect. You can do better if you wait, but then if you wait you are missing out on the current technology. All of these printers will have little glitches here and there, all will produce some mighty fine prints, as good or better than what we could ever make in the wet darkroom, and they will last a lot longer too.

nihil

• http://erlendmork.com
R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 07:53:21 am »

Does anyone know if Canon will release a 24" (or even 36") version soon? Or if Epson are coming with replacements? Else I am going for a 7800..
Erlend Mørk
[url=http://www.erlendmork.c

madmanchan

• Web
R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 09:45:41 am »

Does anyone know if Canon will release a 24" (or even 36") version soon? Or if Epson are coming with replacements? Else I am going for a 7800..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's only speculation, no facts. The people with the facts cannot legally say yet.

That said, there is the Canon iPF8000 which is 44". Probably bigger than what you're looking for.

There are also the new HP Z printers (I believe it's 24" and 44"; someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Eric
Eric Chan

palderm

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 10:30:16 am »

DC
Hi dchurch, I'll trade you my 5000 for the 4800. Don't buy the canon yet too many problems palderm

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 11:38:34 am »

Hi dchurch, I'll trade you my 5000 for the 4800. Don't buy the canon yet too many problems palderm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

to palderm:   I am really confused now. Reading up till last night I had decided to send back my 4800. You now say too many problems with 5000. ????  I guess they all have problems, its just which set of problems do I want. What kind of problems dop you have with your 5000? I'm getting the imoression thew software is weak and poorly thought out.

dchurch

jbryer

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 12:19:42 pm »

I've been using the iPF5000 for a couple of weeks, and yes, the software could use some work, but by no means is it unworkable. Quite frankly, the prospects of having to deal with the clogging issues the 4800 is know for and swapping black ink far outweigh the problems with the iPF5000. The bottom line is that from a hardware perspective, the 5000 is pretty much flawless (using current standards). Any problems can (and probably will) be solved through software updates.

dchurch

R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 07:39:31 pm »

I've been using the iPF5000 for a couple of weeks, and yes, the software could use some work, but by no means is it unworkable. Quite frankly, the prospects of having to deal with the clogging issues the 4800 is know for and swapping black ink far outweigh the problems with the iPF5000. The bottom line is that from a hardware perspective, the 5000 is pretty much flawless (using current standards). Any problems can (and probably will) be solved through software updates.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the feedback! That is very helpful.

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 03:38:04 am »

Thanks for the feedback! That is very helpful.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I bought the Canon at near full price and I'm not regretting it.  With the current rebate and lower pricing (I believe you can now find the printer for about $1300 with free shipping)... it is a bargain in my opinion.  Like everyone else has said, there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you master it, it WORKS very well.  I had serious downtime with nozzle problems with my previous Epson 4000's.  NO MORE.  I have been out of the country twice for more than two weeks at a time during the last 6 weeks, have returned to studio and started printing again without ANY nozzle issues at all.  Output quality is very good, especially with the 16 bit plugin and appropriate files.
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
R4800 or canon ipf5000?
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 09:55:15 am »

It sounds like you plan on doing a lot of B&W, in which case you may prefer the output of the 4800. The K3 system is fantastic, and the ability to control the tonality in the driver is very elegant.

The Canon is a nice piece of hardware, but their software is quite lacking. The documentation is dreadful, the Web site awful, and the various media types and settings perplexing. You will find a wide arsenal of ICC profiles for the Epson on-line, but the Canon offerings will be slim. But if you can beat it into submission the Canon can produce some beautiful prints. I would not call it any better than the Epson, although the ability to print on both glossy and matte medias without switching black inks is attractive (if you print on a variety of substrates that is)

It is also my sense that the Canon is not the ideal printer for a beginner. I think the Epson is a lot simpler in its approach, and there is a lot of knowledge on-line about how to use them effectively.

My $.02

-eric-
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up