Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAW conversion questions from a beginner  (Read 2965 times)

Catalpa

RAW conversion questions from a beginner
« on: November 21, 2006, 09:12:50 am »

Hi,

I am new to raw image processing. I have been taking photos with a 20D in raw format recently, and have been using Canon DDP to convert those I needed to print. However, I'm now wanting to convert large numbers of photos for slideshows, and I prefer the inrterface to Lightroom and the way I can integrate it better into my use of Imatch.

Following an article I read on sharpening, I took a test shot to compare DDP and Lightroom. I set the camera to produce both a raw image and a JPG, and then compared these with raw to JPG from both DDP and Lightroom, using default settings. I found the camera JPG to be slightly better than the DDP image, and both signigficantl better than the Lighroom photo.

I then tried to edit the photo in Lightroom to produce a similar output to the other two options, and I couldn't get close, especially in shadow detail and noise reduction/smoothing. My question is what am I missing in the controls to get a similar effect.

I have uploaded samples to http://catalpa.smugmug.com/gallery/2156225. There is the original photo and three examples of each of two detailed crops, produced by the three methods.

If anyone can shed some light I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers
Charles

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 05:11:20 pm »

One of the default settings in Lightroom, is for "blacks" at 5. This basically increases scene contrast by clipping the shadow tones (increases the luminance level at which shadows are clipped). It can make images seem nice and snappy, but if you really want shadow detail, that's not necessarily going to help you. I'm not certain, but it seems that this setting may be responsible for what we see in your Lightroom conversion.

Also keep in mind that the contrast level in your JPEG setting appears to be very conservative. While this keeps highlights and shadows in line, it also makes your image less "snappy"; I prefer the Lightroom version of the first crop to the other versions.

Get familiarized with the Tone Curve controls, they will probably help you a bit more.

I suggest that you at least read Martin Evening's article about the develop module in beta 4 on PhotoshopNews.com (it's a quick read), and maybe you want to look at Adobe's video tutorials to get started with other basics.

You can also try looking for other Lightroom resources on PhotoshopNews.com, as well as the discussion forums on Adobe Labs (registration required, I think).
Jan

aduke

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:56:03 pm »

Lightroom also has the Fill Light control in the Develop module. Its default setting is 0. Raising that a little would open up the shadows, partially undoing the work of the Blacks control.

Catalpa

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:31:40 am »

Thanks for those comments. I'll give them a try.

I had tried using the fill light control, but it still didn't open the shadows up as much as in the Canon processing
Pages: [1]   Go Up