Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 30d shadow noise?  (Read 2730 times)

spphoto

canon 30d shadow noise?
« on: November 20, 2006, 02:39:27 pm »

At iso 100 or 200 is there any noise in deep shadows?  (looking at 1:1)

thanx in advance!

John Sheehy

canon 30d shadow noise?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:10:07 pm »

At iso 100 or 200 is there any noise in deep shadows?  (looking at 1:1)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sure.  All digital cameras have noise in shadows (and all other tones) at all ISOs.

oldcsar

canon 30d shadow noise?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:42:40 pm »

Yes, there's noise in the deep shadows for the 30D. The same is true for my 300D. If details are too dark for the exposure you've set, there's always going to be some noise visible where it lacks detail (noise reduction software such as Neatimage will resolve this problem for the most part). It's nothing to worry about, as long as you expose as brightly as you can without losing too much highlight detail, then make a linear conversion with a negative exp comp and/or highlight recovery.  A more subjective approach works for me: using the LCD, several shots, and exposure compensation,  rather than using the histogram. Some people swear by the histogram (expose to the right), but I prefer my own method. I prefer working with pictures, and getting to know my camera rather than looking at histograms while I'm out in the field.

However, noise in the deep shadows for ISO 100 and 200 will be significantly better than higher ISOs, but this should be obvious to you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:45:10 pm by oldcsar »
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

John Sheehy

canon 30d shadow noise?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:44:39 pm »

However, noise in the deep shadows for ISO 100 and 200 will be significantly better than higher ISOs, but this should be obvious to you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is true, only if there is no compromise on exposure in the lower ISOs.  When you start losing exposure at low ISOs because of maximum apertures or slowest usable shutter speeds, higher ISOs can have less noise if they are not compromised in the same way.

The higher the exposure and/or key, the less difference there is between high and low ISOs.  The lower the exposure and/or key, the more difference ISO makes.

People who have bad experiences with higher ISOs are generally people who under-expose their images.

mrClen

canon 30d shadow noise?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:07:33 am »

Sure.  All digital cameras have noise in shadows (and all other tones) at all ISOs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86237\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i agree
[url=http://www.unlimited-backgroundchec
Pages: [1]   Go Up