Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: comment please  (Read 4887 times)

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
comment please
« on: November 20, 2006, 02:15:47 pm »

thank's for taking time for feedback
this adress is just under

LoisWakeman

comment please
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 08:53:57 am »

David: you could read my recent post for Warren Roos' site and see much of what I thought about what I expect to find on a photographer's site.

Love the quirky images - but I am not sure of the purpose of this: is it just a viewing gallery or a sales aid? If the latter, you need to add more content, I think.

david o

comment please
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 10:14:53 am »

actually it's just a viewing gallery, I do not expect to sell any kind of images from here, it's mostly for my clients to see what my work is.
It's my portfolio.
And I amn working on update, so I will take advantge of what you said.
thanks.

LoisWakeman

comment please
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:44:39 pm »

In that case, much of what I said can be ignored!

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
comment please
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 02:09:30 pm »

I love the funky locations and the vintage look of the photos, they have a nice feel right through the portfolio..

Nice..

I don't see the need for hard sell on a photographers website, I think the pictures should do the selling..

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
comment please
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 11:22:27 am »

David, the site's simplicity is appealing. You have quite an eye for the graphical, and for color as it contributes to the composition. Not sure if I'm making sense--but color is integral to your images such that I don't think they'd work in B&W. That's not meant as a negative.

One minor navigational complaint: it took me a moment to figure out I could just scroll thru your images by using my keyboard's horizontal arrow keys rather than having to use the mouse or having to click on your arrows to move to the next panel of several images. Not sure how you could make this more obvious without cluttering your site's design.

Overall, well done. You've admirably resisted the temptation to do a lot of Flash stuff that I absolutely loathe.
michael sebast

etude

comment please
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:23:43 pm »

I think the viewer works quite well, it's intuitive and doesn't load all the images right at the start. Easy to use.

The simplicity of your site is working well.

Here's what I'd work on:

1. Your name as a logo that looks "designed" - your name is your trademark, it should look like an identity and is owned

2. First impression of first page is important - use one of your strongest images, and make it fairly large

3. Image quality and quantity - some of the images look like those that anyone could take - better to leave them out and show the stuff your clients know they can't do

4. Image compression - some of the images have serious compression issues - lines with very low quality antialiasing - some of those images are best left out

5. Your photo - too small

6. email address @your domain - more professional

7. stronger link to contact - it's only down the bottom and may be missed - put it in the side menu and link to it in the main text

8. Consider a different colour background - grey looks ok, and can look great, but I suspect most would prefer something a bit more fresh - I feel the grey you have as is looks a little bland

You could think of a website as a sales rep who only gets paid for a short time, yet they keep working for you 24/7 travelling around the world while you sleep. Not using your site as a strong sales tool is a huge missed opportunity. I think it's true that great work presented well sells itself. I think it's also true that great work with great marketing sells more. Small changes can make a big difference.

The most important question with a website, is what action do you want viewers to perform?

Do you want to refer potential customers to look at your site when deciding if they will use your services? If so, consider what will be going on in their minds at the time that goes beyond the images you produce. What factors are behind their decision? Anticipate them, and answer their questions. On the net they can see many others, and your competitor's images might impress them more. You want to give yourself every advantage possible here.

Do you want to get new work through your site as a marketing tool? If so, how are you going to get them to choose to contact you? What is the easiest way to contact you?

david o

comment please
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:25:38 pm »

thanks for your comments.
will work on it.
d
Pages: [1]   Go Up