Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting sales approach from Hasselblad  (Read 13834 times)

josayeruk

Interesting sales approach from Hasselblad
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 12:58:29 pm »

Jo,

Do you use the H3D on a daily basis. What sort of stuff do you shoot with it ?  Have you got any examples you can post here?
PeteStreet
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi 'Streetshooter',

Not an H3D but an H2D.  I'll probably upgrade to an H3D if I think Id like the 28mm lens as it is only €1000 for the upgrade.  As I don't use a view camera (yet!) or film(yuk!) then I am in no hurry but I guess it is worth it in the long run.

I am mainly working with annual report kind of work.  Nothing really in the studio.

Examples to post... Ooo dunno if I want a bunch of strangers pouring over my images!    

I'll think about it.  

Jo.

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 11:06:12 am »

I wonder if others who have tested the H3D-39(not earlier iterations of the Imacon backs which were apparently known to have LCD issues) have observed red LCDs.

If I set my H2D on daylight setting I do get a slightly warmer feel to the photo, that drastically increases when the sun goes down. I actually wish for an auto white balance preset so that the preview jpg's I give to my clients are at least within reason and I do not have to switch WB presets when moving from scene to scene.
I repeatedly have to explain to new clients that the warm/cold tones in the preview jpg's is not the final result.
Flexcolor works very well though for the fine tuning of WB with its neutrsalising color pick tool.
cheers
Marc

josayeruk

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 02:26:15 pm »

If I set my H2D on daylight setting I do get a slightly warmer feel to the photo, that drastically increases when the sun goes down. I actually wish for an auto white balance preset so that the preview jpg's I give to my clients are at least within reason and I do not have to switch WB presets when moving from scene to scene.
I repeatedly have to explain to new clients that the warm/cold tones in the preview jpg's is not the final result.
Flexcolor works very well though for the fine tuning of WB with its neutrsalising color pick tool.
cheers
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86720\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Marc,

Why don't you use the custom white balance?  Program the user button to 'Grey Bal. Exp.'.. point the camera at a grey card (grey must fill the centre circle in the viewfinder), hit the user button and the H will make a capture, measure the card and bingo!... adjusted previews on the screen and no need to balance again in FC.

Jo

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 12:43:52 am »

Hi Jo,
 Thanks for the tip, but most of my work happens in an environment, with a combination of tungsten, fluro and daylight. So to hold a grey card and catch all lightsources would not be possible.
On my Nikon D2X I have the automatic WB and it generates an average WB raw file without hassles of having to deal with grey cards or the like. I hope that such a feature would be available with a firmware update in the future, maybe just wishful thinking.  I will have to put more time in to carefully batch processing the fff files to generate a more adequate preview one.
Will try your tip though in the right circumstances,
cheers
marc

damien

• http://www.lovegroveportraits.com
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 04:20:28 am »

Another option is to put an expodisc on the front of your lens, take a frame pointing towards the light sources or your subject and use it later as a midtone reference or indeed set a custom white balance on the spot. I have found major errors in exposure when I've used the histogram to asses a picture with a heavy colour bias.

Damien.

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 03:16:26 am »

I am still waiting on a call or email from the Hasselblad rep, who I emailed about 8 - 9 weeks ago!

The Phase rep was a complete a-hole...slammed his car door against my car (about 5 times) and it isn't a Saturn if you know what I mean!!
He couldn't get the images to look better than the ones I shot at the same time with my canon....tried to sell me the software instead of trying to help me to integrate the phase camera into my workflow...told me flatout I had to change my workflow to match that of Phase!! Was completely incompetent...but he told me I would get a nice alu case for the back....who the F cares???

When I opened the files later in the office on my own they came out great!! But if this guy is the sales rep for Southern California...I rather not go with this system!!

The Leaf guy....(Bill Gemberling....if you good you can name names!!) was great...helped me understand how to best integrate the leaf into my workflow (without any changes!!) explained the software..but didn't try to convert me!!! He knew the back and was very knowledgeable about the timeline etc etc.

Since the back was in back-order he came and gave me a back and camera everytime I had a shoot (for about 4 weeks) and never ever complained about this!

I liked the leaf files better than the Phase files....but both are outstanding...it is very personal...I liked the many options in the back of the leaf and the big screen...yes it looks like crap outside....but the phase looks like crap inside and outside!!
But the service Bill gave me before I even bought the back....made my choice very easy....because I know when I am in the shitter...he will help me out!! And that is very important considering the huge investment (which is not that huge considering the upgrade programs! and the 3 yr warranty!)

just my 2cents

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 03:54:36 am »

I am starting to think that most MFDB dealers are not that interested in selling the equipment.

They can probably make more money selling tons of Canon & Nikon equipment and even there they make more of well heeled amateurs than professionals. Just look at how much more money both Canon as well as Nikon make from their lower end equipment compared to the flagship stuff.

I knew that I wanted a Leaf beforehand I just needed someone to bring it to me and take my money.  I have contacted the dealer here twice and they have never gottten back to me so I was basically forced to buy it somewhere else. When I would not have used Leaf backs before I probably would have gone with the Phase (which is another dealer).

I have said it before but seeing more and more similar experiences I am fairly convinced that manufacturers should be in more direct contact with their clients and be less dependant on their dealers. I am convinced Leaf would sell more backs over here that way (as would Imacon/Hasselblad which is handled by the same dealer but they were smart enough to have more than 1).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 04:28:49 am by Dustbak »

Henry Goh

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 05:35:36 am »

I have said it before but seeing more and more similar experiences I am fairly convinced that manufacturers should be in more direct contact with their clients and be less dependant on their dealers. I am convinced Leaf would sell more backs over here that way (as would Imacon/Hasselblad which is handled by the same dealer but they were smart enough to have more than 1).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you don't mind, but where is "here"?

Henry

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 11:42:04 am »

If you don't mind, but where is "here"?

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86951\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't mind  The Netherlands.

Chris Gahran

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 03:36:43 pm »

nicolaasdb,

I think you need to assume your email has gone astray.

If you like I can give you the telephone numbers for Jeff Payne or Bruce Wiseman from Hasselblad who are my SoCal contacts.  Jeff has an 800 number and I believe Bruce also has a toll free number.

Chris Gahran

nicolaasdb,Nov 25 2006, 01:16 AM wrote:

I am still waiting on a call or email from the Hasselblad rep, who I emailed about 8 - 9 weeks ago!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 03:39:05 pm by Chris Gahran »

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 11:14:32 am »

I am starting to think that most MFDB dealers are not that interested in selling the equipment.

They can probably make more money selling tons of Canon & Nikon equipment and even there they make more of well heeled amateurs than professionals. Just look at how much more money both Canon as well as Nikon make from their lower end equipment compared to the flagship stuff.

I knew that I wanted a Leaf beforehand I just needed someone to bring it to me and take my money.  I have contacted the dealer here twice and they have never gottten back to me so I was basically forced to buy it somewhere else. When I would not have used Leaf backs before I probably would have gone with the Phase (which is another dealer).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The problem is that some dealers are authorized who do not have a commitment towards selling and supporting medium format solutions. And the commitment is substantial.

We typically have $200K to $300K in demonstration equipment, and maintain this year after year. We have extremely knowledgeable personnel who are dedicated to selling and supporting these solutions. We have close relationships with MFDB companies, which allow us to better serve buyers of those products. We have done this since the early 90's. That's a serious commitment. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the feedback I receive from my customers is that "high volume" dealers are not a good resource for the intensive care that customers buying medium format digital equipment require.

I can tell you that making money selling Canon and Nikon is a high stakes game. We do sell those products at PPR, but typically our cost is above B&H's selling price, for example. Often, dealers who don't possess the high volume infrastructure of a B&H, Calumet, etc must specialize on specific categories to thrive. One of those categories for us is higher end digital capture solutions.

There are other dealers throughout the world who also specialize in these types of solutions. Dave Gallagher of Capture Integration, Rob Kumler of K&R are a few others to consider. Wherever you are, my recommendation would be to ask the manufacturer whose product you're interested in to provide some dealer options that are "specialty" dealers. You may have better luck there.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

James Russell

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 11:46:59 am »

There are other dealers throughout the world who also specialize in these types of solutions.

Steve,

There are some very good dealers and you have listed two, besides your own company, but if you go to the manufactuer's websites you would think there are hundreds of expert dealers selling their products, though 98% of them don't know the difference between a raw file and a jpeg.

Some of the lsited dealers don't even offer the product, except by special order.

I think the manufactuer's would do themselves a great favor by sending out potential customers to try and purchase their productts.

I think they'd be shocked by the response the would get by many of these dealers.

I also believe the manufactuer's could easily trim their dealers by 1/2 and sell more product instead of less.

When it comes to medium format digital capture the information trail is very vague.

I can't even begin to count the amount of e-mails I've received where people just gave up on medium format because when they walked into a store, cash in hand, they came away more confused than ever.

Many just ordered a Canon because it was available and easy.

JR

Caracalla

• http://
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 08:19:12 pm »

I can't even begin to count the amount of e-mails I've received where people just gave up on medium format because when they walked into a store, cash in hand, they came away more confused than ever.

Many just ordered a Canon because it was available and easy.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately 100% Fact.

REGARDS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up