Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon ipf5000 photoshop driver worse?  (Read 4383 times)

acomj

canon ipf5000 photoshop driver worse?
« on: November 20, 2006, 12:33:06 pm »

I was printing yesterday with my intel macbook (with external monitor) on the ipf5000. I noticed that one of my scenes the darker parts were going muddy, lacking color in the shadow areas (it was a skyline at dusk).

So instead of using the export->ipf5000 driver, I just used print with preview. I selected the same paper and profile and let photoshop choose the colors.  The photo came out better (closer to what I expected from the screen).  Same paper, same profile (ilford paper and profile).

I noticed the review indicated better results with the 16 bit export driver in photoshop, but I'm not seeing it.
Has anyone else noticed a significant difference in the output between the photoshop export 16 bit driver and the regular photoshop driver?

Which are people using?

Thanks

marcmccalmont

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:39:07 pm »

The export plugin is superior to the 8 bit print with preview but you cannot use the same profile for each (see ll review). For optimum results use a custom profile with targets created from the 16 bit export plugin. Also feed the plugin files with 600 dpi resolution. I'm under impressed with Ilford papers they are good like the canon papers but not superior even the IJart papers are better.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

acomj

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 02:21:03 pm »

The export plugin is superior to the 8 bit print with preview but you cannot use the same profile for each (see ll review). For optimum results use a custom profile with targets created from the 16 bit export plugin. Also feed the plugin files with 600 dpi resolution. I'm under impressed with Ilford papers they are good like the canon papers but not superior even the IJart papers are better.
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, the difference in profiles would explain it. I re-read the article and found where it states you need different profiles for 8 and 16 bit. Now I feel a little silly.

I'd been using the same profile for each print method. It was confusing because the regular print with preview method (Non-16 bit) was giving me prints with better shadow and the same highlight detail (greater gamut) than the 16 bit method. The opposite of what was supposed to happen.

I just poked around the web a bit and I haven't been able to find many 16 bit profiles though (IJart and Ilford seem to offer only one profile for each paper, and I'm assuming its the 8 bit one).  Is there an easy way to tell if a profile is 8 or 16 bit?

Now,  I'll have to start considering making my own profiles.  How much better is that 16 bit output again?

Thanks again.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:42:56 pm »

I do not think any manufacturers profiles are specifically for the 16 bit plugin so I had my favorite papers profiled  ($40 each Cathy's profiles) The printer is so good that every small improvement shows up. A few small improvements means a big overall improvement so what I do is
1. use the best paper I can for the application (color, B&W, reproduced art on canvas or fine art paper etc)
2. use the 16 bit plugin
3. use a custom profile
4. feed the driver a 600 dpi file
5. uprez the file in PS prior to print

I have experimented a lot to come to this conclusion so I just saved you 3 months, $900 of ink and $1000 of paper! I hope it helps

Marc

PS my favorite paper for color which is not available in the states, unfortunately, is Fuji Pro, very glossy, very white, very bright, very high resolution I wish some one would import it. I drag a box back every time I travel to Tokyo. For B&W I have been happy with the Innova Fiba print gloss and the Hahnemuhle William Turner. My second choices are the IJA papers as they are quite white and their profiles work well with the 16 bit plugin
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:44:41 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 08:55:46 pm »

Marc,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this printer.

Are you saying that the generic IJA profiles work well with the 16bit plug-in, or that the profiles that you had made for IJA papers work accurately with the plug-in?

I'll have custom profiles made, but it would be nice to have a few chances at reasonable results just to get started.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:47:03 pm »

The IJA generic profiles work well with the 16 bit plugin and have given me good results. I never saw the need to spend money on custom profiles for them, The IJA papers that I use are their premium duo bright matt, micro ceramic gloss and luster. For color I prefer a very white paper with excellent resolution. The IJA papers are whiter than most and when proofing with PS have a larger gamut than most. My final prints generally are on Fuji Pro (color) or William Turner or Innova FB gloss (B&W) I like the warmer look of these papers on the B&W prints, makes them look older???
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:58:41 pm »

Marc,

Thank you for clarification. I'll try the generic profiles as I play a bit and try to learn the new printer.

Dennishh

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 06:00:24 pm »

Hi Marc,
I got got the Museo silver Rag you were talking about. I was pleasantly surprised that they had a profile for the iPF5000. Can I feed this from the cassette? Also I just printed out the profiles for Cathy Profiles on the Fuji roll gloss and luster I got from Fuji USA. The paper looks really white with very vibrant colors. I am looking for a fine art paper for the printer, have you tried any? Have you ever tried royal Jazz from mediastreet? Thats something like I'm looking for.
Thanks
Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up