Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS and ACR updates  (Read 4770 times)

Giedo

Photoshop CS and ACR updates
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:45:35 am »

I'm running PS CS and LR beta 4 on my 24 inch iMac: a very powerful combo.
I'm considering upgrading my Canon 20D, but I'm not sure if PS CS can be updates with the last ACR Raw converter, as to be able to open RAW files from any new camera?
Is this really the case? Will I be forced to upgrade my costly software when I upgrade my camera? Or is there a simple (free!) solution?

Thanks, Giedo
Giedo

francois

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:10:09 am »

I'm running PS CS and LR beta 4 on my 24 inch iMac: a very powerful combo.
I'm considering upgrading my Canon 20D, but I'm not sure if PS CS can be updates with the last ACR Raw converter, as to be able to open RAW files from any new camera?
Is this really the case? Will I be forced to upgrade my costly software when I upgrade my camera? Or is there a simple (free!) solution?

Thanks, Giedo
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm affraid that ACR updates need the newest (CS 2) version of Photoshop. If you install  ACR version 3.x in Photoshop CS, you'll see this alert:

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=558]ACR 3.x alert  on Photoshop CS[/url]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:11:46 am by francois »
Francois

b2martin

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:15:18 am »

ACR version 3.x only work with Photoshop CS2.  If you want to open RAW files from new cameras with Photoshop CS, use ACR2.4 and convert the RAW files to DNG using the latest DNG converter available with the latest version of ACR 3.x.

Giedo

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 10:17:16 am »

I was afraid so  
Thanks for you reply Francois!
Giedo

Giedo

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:22:16 am »

If you want to open RAW files from new cameras with Photoshop CS, use ACR2.4 and convert the RAW files to DNG using the latest DNG converter available with the latest version of ACR 3.x.
How can I use the latest DNG converter from ACR 3.x when this version does not work with my CS?
Giedo

mbridgers

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:04:54 am »

Assuming you're staying with Canon, you could use their Digital Photo Pro software.  I think it gives the best conversions for my 10D files, but it isn't what you'd call intuitive.  There's not a lot of control in the conversion process -- but the basics are there including a rudimentary curves control, exposure, white balance, and sharpening.

francois

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 11:47:02 am »

How can I use the latest DNG converter from ACR 3.x when this version does not work with my CS?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Giedo,
It's easy!
Download the latest Adobe DNG Converter application. Drag your RAW files onto the app, it'll convert them to DNG. Then from Photoshop CS, just open the DNG files.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:49:20 am by francois »
Francois

b2martin

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:31:14 pm »

You use the latest DNG converter, which will be with the latest version of Photoshop - today that is the DNG converter with ACR for CS2.  The reason you want the latest version of the DNG converter is because it will include the latest cameras.  Photoshop CS with ACR 2.4 will open any DNG file.  The DNG converter is stand alone software, it does not run in Photoshop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up