Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF5000 Initial Alignment  (Read 7355 times)

John Hollenberg

Canon IPF5000 Initial Alignment
« on: November 19, 2006, 07:35:33 pm »

I am in the process of installing my IPF5000.  Everything has gone smoothly, but on the Quickstart Guide I am now at step 4, loading paper into the cassette.  The directions tell me to load plain paper, then when it gets to the automatic alignment routine it says that A3 or larger paper is required.  Can I load some other paper that I have lying around that is the proper size (e.g., Lexjet 10 mil Photo Gloss)?  If so, how do I decide what to select for the paper type?

Thanks for any help.

--John

serf

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:42:43 pm »

I just threw in the physically closest paper that was the right size.  Seems to have worked.

I am in the process of installing my IPF5000.  Everything has gone smoothly, but on the Quickstart Guide I am now at step 4, loading paper into the cassette.  The directions tell me to load plain paper, then when it gets to the automatic alignment routine it says that A3 or larger paper is required.  Can I load some other paper that I have lying around that is the proper size (e.g., Lexjet 10 mil Photo Gloss)?  If so, how do I decide what to select for the paper type?

Thanks for any help.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:44:57 pm »

I just threw in the physically closest paper that was the right size.  Seems to have worked.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks.  I noticed some odd looking "bands" on some of the alignment prints, but don't know what they are supposed to look like, so not a problem.  Haven't printed any actual images yet.  Did you see anything like this when you did the alignment?

--John

ltr03

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:32:57 pm »

Thanks.  I noticed some odd looking "bands" on some of the alignment prints, but don't know what they are supposed to look like, so not a problem.  Haven't printed any actual images yet.  Did you see anything like this when you did the alignment?

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes thats normal (looks almost like smears)

Tim Ernst

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:34:32 pm »

When I did my first alignment I got an error message at the end of the process and it said the alignment had failed and that I needed to readdo the adjustment (which I did with the same error message) - I used standard letter paper the first time but it asked for the larger paper the second time. Canon support was no help, but they did start the process to send out a tech rep, although I have a feeling I will never see them - we don't have any in our state and it would be a very long drive to get here from anyplace. I was called back later by someone in a different group at Canon and they told me to do a "replace" on the printheads and put back the same heads - that worked and I no longer got the error message and it printed just fine after a new alignment, but it drank a lot of ink in the process. Canon does not know that my printer is working now and I suspect they still have someone hitting the road to try to find me this week - they did not leave a phone number for me to call them back so we'll see what happens. Anyway, I think since this is automatic if you don't get the error message at the end of your alignment I would assume everything is fine.

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
www.Cloudland.net

John Hollenberg

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:53:32 pm »

Tim,

Thanks, very helpful.  Will do some actual printing and look for any problems.  Any favorite papers (both Canon and non-Canon) for the IPF5000?  I can build custom profiles with my Eye One Pro, but don't know what media setting to pick to get the proper amount of ink laid down for various media.  Sure would be helpful if there was an FAQ somewhere that collected the best media settings for particular papers.

--John

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 11:44:21 pm »

Helpful info here. Thanks.

My new iPF5000 is finally out of the box and I'll likely start the setup in a day or two. I was curious about the alignment paper requirement too, because I was unable to find the paper size requirement – I hadn't powered it up yet. Of course I don't have A3 plain paper, so will use some modest 13x19 stock.

I use Macs of several vintages, but I'm thinking that I need the newest driver update for the Intel Macs. Canon's driver section on the U.S. site has been down, so I may try the Canadian version. I'll call Canon in the morning first and see if they offer any other info regarding the newest drivers.

Thanks for the shared info. It's great to have a bit less head scratching by benefiting from the experience of others.

Cheers,

Dale

Tim Ernst

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 06:56:00 am »

"Any favorite papers (both Canon and non-Canon) for the IPF5000?"

I have found that you can pretty much use your favorite paper with any of these pigment printers and get great results with a custom profile (I've got Epson 4800, 2400, HP 9180, and the Canon). The advertising hype out there about getting the best results on the new printers only with their brand is just that, hype. So use your favorite paper, get a custom profile, and print away. I do like the house brand papers from InkJetArt.com because they are available in both rolls and cut sheets as the same paper so only one profile is needed for all (I like luster-surface paper for my day-to-day printing). I also happen to like Silver Rag when I want a luster fine art paper, although do use the mat papers when I print black and white. I am anxious to try the new HP pro satin paper that is not available yet, although I don't know if it will be available in smaller rolls than 24" (unless HP comes out with a 17" printer) - may have to get a roll and cut it down. (The Canon specs says this printer will only accept a 59' long roll although a 100' roll fits just fine with 3" core so I'm not sure what that is all about - I have not printed with the 100' roll yet so there may be some other issues.)

John Hollenberg

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:09:34 am »

Tim,

How do you decide what media setting to use when making the custom profile?  Have you experimented with different media settings to see if you produces a better result than another?

Thanks.

--John

Tim Ernst

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 11:28:17 am »

John:

I use the one that others have suggested here and elsewhere - photo paper plus semi-gloss - and it seems to work well with my luster papers. For the mat papers I would use one of the fine art papers. It does seem to matter more with this printer than others, so it is a good idea to hunt around and see what others have used for the papers that you want to use. I'm pretty happy with the printer so far with my limited experience with it, especially the price that is basically the same or even cheaper ($1395 delivered price or even cheaper) than the Epson 3800 when you factor in the free roll paper and free shipping, and it is so much more of a printer than the Epson for sure...(and I sold my 4800)

EdB

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 12:46:28 pm »

Tim,

How do you decide what media setting to use when making the custom profile?  Have you experimented with different media settings to see if you produces a better result than another?

Thanks.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can download paper targets (steps) frpm Ink Jet Art and try different paper/media configurations and then select the one with the best separation between the wedges - note thay have two sets, one for thick papers and one for "normal' weight , whatever that is.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 01:29:13 pm »

You can download paper targets (steps) frpm Ink Jet Art and try different paper/media configurations and then select the one with the best separation between the wedges - note thay have two sets, one for thick papers and one for "normal' weight , whatever that is.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed,

Great idea, will look into this.  Can't wait to make some profiles for the papers I have on hand and try out the printer.  Just not having to put up with the Epson clogs will probably be worth it.  Not just the ink cost, but the hassle of trying to get the clogs out of the printer.

--John

Dale Allyn

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:13 pm »

I am in the process of installing my IPF5000.  Everything has gone smoothly, but on the Quickstart Guide I am now at step 4, loading paper into the cassette.  The directions tell me to load plain paper, then when it gets to the automatic alignment routine it says that A3 or larger paper is required.  Can I load some other paper that I have lying around that is the proper size (e.g., Lexjet 10 mil Photo Gloss)?  If so, how do I decide what to select for the paper type?

Thanks for any help.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John,

I know that you got your answer to this, but thought I'd add what I've come up with. Today I spoke with Canon's customer service regarding a different printer issue and asked about this alignment paper thing. My concern was that there may be some feedback from the paper surface or something that made one paper choice better than others.

The rep stated that plain paper is indicated just to save the user money. Photo paper is not needed but can be used. I asked if there was an advantage to using a glossy photo paper if one didn't mind the price and the rep claimed that there is no advantage, but it was fine if it was more convenient to use. I found some 11x17" copy paper at Staples for around $11 for 500 sheets, so if multiple alignments are needed I guess I'll be set for a while.  

--
Dale
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:38:45 pm by DFAllyn »

John Hollenberg

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 10:31:40 pm »

Dale,

Good to have a definitive answer.  I may have to start and FAQ so others won't have to go searching all over the internet to find this basic info.  Got a feeling I am gonna love this printer!

--John

John Hollenberg

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 11:14:51 pm »

The rep stated that plain paper is indicated just to save the user money. Photo paper is not needed but can be used. I asked if there was an advantage to using a glossy photo paper if one didn't mind the price and the rep claimed that there is no advantage, but it was fine if it was more convenient to use. I found some 11x17" copy paper at Staples for around $11 for 500 sheets, so if multiple alignments are needed I guess I'll be set for a while. 

Also, it appears that larger paper is needed to do a nozzle check.  Along those lines, I did a nozzle check (which appears to be perfect), but found it strange that the horizontal lines in the nozzle check slant down to the right (or up to the left) so they are not at a 90 degree angle to the vertical lines.  Is this normal?

--John

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 10:40:47 am »

I had the same experience with my iPF5000 right out of the box. I loaded 8.5 x 11 plain paper, and the alignment process failed. When I went to do a re-alignment, the paper was suddenly too small and I was prompted to use larger sheets.

There is a blurb in one section of the documentation about the alignment procedure. They recommend using the paper you will be printing on primarily. This makes a lot of sense to me, as a high quality coated sheet will respond much differently than a plain bond paper. What does irk me is that it wants these larger sheets of paper, then prints this relatively small pattern right in the center of the sheet!  It ended up pulling through quite a few sheets of paper, but then the process completed normally.

-eric-

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 10:42:54 am »

Since when do corporate reps know anything about the wares they sell?  

-eric-

Dale Allyn

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 12:02:58 pm »

Since when do corporate reps know anything about the wares they sell?  

-eric-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86716\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric,

I agree with you. At least this guy was in "service", not "slaes" and  sounded more aware of the printer's workings than the others to whom I spoke the prior two days.  

I did the alignment with plain paper, but will do it again with photo paper if needed. I print on gloss, semi-gloss, matte and rag art papers, so wasn't sure how to choose "the best". Glossy paper made sense to me for the precision, but since he said to use plain and the literature says plain paper, that's what I did... for now.

Love the printer so far. Cheers!

Dale
Pages: [1]   Go Up