Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF5000 roll printing - media size from CS2  (Read 3334 times)

KevinD

IPF5000 roll printing - media size from CS2
« on: November 19, 2006, 02:58:06 pm »

I am a new owner of a Canon IPF5000.  I love the printer - the output is beautiful.  However, I would like some help with printing using the roll feeder.  I print through PhotoShop CS2, using the print plugin supplied by Canon.  Once I select the roll feeder as the paper source, why do I still have to select a "media size"?  Shouldn't PhotoShop tell the printer what the image size is?  

The portraits I do are often cropped into non-standard sizes - do I really have to go into the "Page Setup" tab, and then click "size options" and set up a specific media size that matches the image size?  

I would think that all I should need to do is select the roll feeder as the paper source, and then the plug-in would look at the image I am sending and know how long a piece of paper to use.

I have looked through the CD and a few other web sites, but this obvious "feature" doesn't seem to be available, as far as I can tell.  Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks.

usinare

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 07:43:36 pm »

I am a new owner of a Canon IPF5000.  I love the printer - the output is beautiful.  However, I would like some help with printing using the roll feeder.  I print through PhotoShop CS2, using the print plugin supplied by Canon.  Once I select the roll feeder as the paper source, why do I still have to select a "media size"?  Shouldn't PhotoShop tell the printer what the image size is? 

The portraits I do are often cropped into non-standard sizes - do I really have to go into the "Page Setup" tab, and then click "size options" and set up a specific media size that matches the image size? 

I would think that all I should need to do is select the roll feeder as the paper source, and then the plug-in would look at the image I am sending and know how long a piece of paper to use.

I have looked through the CD and a few other web sites, but this obvious "feature" doesn't seem to be available, as far as I can tell.  Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the media size is referring to the width of the roll paper not the length. the roll papers are either 10,13,16,17 inches wide.

KevinD

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:23:54 am »

the media size is referring to the width of the roll paper not the length. the roll papers are either 10,13,16,17 inches wide.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't understand your reply.  When I select the source of the paper as roll paper in the "Media Source" box, I go under "roll paper options" and specify that it is 17 inches wide.  So the print software and printer know that the output will be 17 inches wide.   That's no problem for me.  (It would be nice if the printer could tell what was loaded, but I won't even worry about that at the moment....)

But why doesn't it look at the HEIGHT of the image I am sending from CS2 and then just print the appropriate length from the roll?  Why do I have to separately specify a specific "Media Size" in the box above the box where I choose the roll paper as the source?  

The "Media Size" options all include width AND height.  And as I said before, since I often crop to irregular sizes, I have to go into the "Size Options..." dialog, enter the size of the image I am printing, and give the size a name, before I can print the document.  

Is there some way for the Canon software to import the information about the HEIGHT of the document so that it knows how long a piece of paper to use from the roll and so that I don't have to manually enter it?

Thanks

Tim Ernst

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:23:33 am »

I think most of these printers require you to set a paper size before you can print - that is just standard. What if you wanted to print on a larger sheet than your actual image size, something I always do since I never print borderless, and if I did not choose a specific paper size the printer would refuse to print at all. All you need to do is simply create a few custom paper sizes that you use the most and then select them when you print, easy as pie. I print from rolls, and I have a custom paper size for every two inches (24 x 30, 24 x 32, 24 x 34, 24 x 36, etc.) to match the size of my image and still give me white borders...

KevinD

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 04:52:50 pm »

I think most of these printers require you to set a paper size before you can print - that is just standard. What if you wanted to print on a larger sheet than your actual image size, something I always do since I never print borderless, and if I did not choose a specific paper size the printer would refuse to print at all. All you need to do is simply create a few custom paper sizes that you use the most and then select them when you print, easy as pie. I print from rolls, and I have a custom paper size for every two inches (24 x 30, 24 x 32, 24 x 34, 24 x 36, etc.) to match the size of my image and still give me white borders...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply.  If that is the way everyone does it, then I guess I should get on the bandwagon and stop whining.  

However (not to miss the chance for a good whine), if anyone from Canon reads this, I really think that it makes more sense for CS2 to tell the printer directly what size the image is.  We then would have the option of selecting a standard border size and then just print the darn things without selecting a paper size.  It is roll media, for crying out loud.  There should be no "media size" to deal with.  

There are all sorts of warnings in Photoshop if you try to print an image that is bigger than the paper size selected in the PhotoShop print function.  Why can't the latest generation Canon printer talk to Photoshop and determine if the image will fit on a 17" wide roll?  Maybe the printer doesn't know how much paper is left on the roll, but specifying a "Media Size" doesn't address that problem, either.

Thanks again for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up