Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US - south / south west in december  (Read 2734 times)

bs1925

US - south / south west in december
« on: November 19, 2006, 12:34:50 pm »

Hi,

I wanna go for two weeks to the US - south / south west in december - actually to fly in to San Antonio and fly out from Tuscon and travel along the border (Big Bend, White Sands, Saguaro, ...)

Is this a good idea? are there some special points to go?

or (something completely different): which part of the US would you go in december for landscape photography? (no snow!! i've enough at home in Austria...)

regards
Bernd

mikebinok

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:05:59 pm »

actually to fly in to San Antonio and fly out from Tuscon and travel along the border (Big Bend, White Sands, Saguaro, ...)

Is this a good idea? are there some special points to go?

These are wonderful places...Another option would be to fly into Salt Lake City and the National Parks around Moab and South Utah.  Snow would be more likely to get into your picture here, though.  But they are more superficially spectacular than the sites you've mentioned (that's just my opinion, and spectacular isn't necessarily the best setting for good photos).

As a European, do make sure you understand how BIG the Southwestern United States is.  Just getting from San Antonio to Big Bend will be a significant drive.  Google Maps says ten hours.  With the trips you've described, a significant portion of your time here will be spent shifting between parks.  You may want to consider finding one place that has several good locations near it and flying in there (possibly spending more time at each destination also).

With the agenda you describe, consider the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument and perhaps Guadalupe Mountains National Park as you pass West of Big Bend, also.  And perhaps Carlsbad Caverns, well worth seeing, though it is not an easy place to do photography.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 06:13:21 pm »

These are wonderful places...<snip>
As a European, do make sure you understand how BIG the Southwestern United States is.  Just getting from San Antonio to Big Bend will be a significant drive.  <snip> You may want to consider finding one place that has several good locations near it and flying in there (possibly spending more time at each destination also).

I agree.  Unless you're wedded to San Antone, I'd fly into Vegas.  Cheaper airfares, cheaper hotels, cheaper car rentals, and better scenery, closer.
Big Bend is cool, but Death Valley is cooler.  Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP and Grand Canyon NP are all easy drives from Vegas.

Keep us posted
Peter

theophilus

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 08:32:45 pm »

You would be better off flying into El Paso than San Antonio to get to Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains.

bs1925

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:19:30 am »

You would be better off flying into El Paso than San Antonio to get to Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thx for your suggestions - I agree, north Arizona and southern Utah is more spectacular, but I've to this area there 3-4 times (around Page).

regards
Bernd

mikebinok

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:08:55 pm »

thx for your suggestions - I agree, north Arizona and southern Utah is more spectacular, but I've to this area there 3-4 times (around Page).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86129\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then your broad plan sounds like a good one, except that I'd substitute El Paso for San Antonio unless you have a non-photo reason for flying into San Antonio (and even then I'd consider taking a small airliner from San Antonio to El Paso!).

Sounds like a great trip!
Pages: [1]   Go Up