Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any reco for Plug-ins to create layer masks  (Read 2412 times)

RichFisher

Any reco for Plug-ins to create layer masks
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:44:35 am »

I often need to extract (create a layer mask) for a bird or animal with fine feathers or hair.  Not exactly easy, especially when there is little contrast (color or luminosity) between the edge of the lion and dried grasses in the background.

I have tried Fluid Mask and have had a bit of success with it but the plug in is unstable in my hands (I guess 2GB of memory is not enough for the 16-bit Canon 1Ds Mk II files, even at 8 bits I run into memory errors unless I dramatically reduce PS's memory usage).  

Any suggests for other plug-ins or approachs that work?

Thanks

Rich

to-mas

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:50:07 am »

I dont know about any plugin, but I think with using of different method of selections you can get what you want.

There are many ways how to do selections
vid http://ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm selections

Btw if 2gb of memory is not enough for plugin, than its something wrong.

I am working with 5D raw files with 1gb RAM and till I dont have some 5+ layers its not really slow.

I often need to extract (create a layer mask) for a bird or animal with fine feathers or hair.  Not exactly easy, especially when there is little contrast (color or luminosity) between the edge of the lion and dried grasses in the background.

I have tried Fluid Mask and have had a bit of success with it but the plug in is unstable in my hands (I guess 2GB of memory is not enough for the 16-bit Canon 1Ds Mk II files, even at 8 bits I run into memory errors unless I dramatically reduce PS's memory usage). 

Thanks

Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86022\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:08:26 pm »

Plugins use memory outside of that allocated for photoshop. I ran into the same problem until I reduced Photoshops allocation to 50% (I have 2gb of ram also) This leaves enough memory for the plugins to work correctly.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

trigeek

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:01:42 am »

I often need to extract (create a layer mask) for a bird or animal with fine feathers or hair.  Not exactly easy, especially when there is little contrast (color or luminosity) between the edge of the lion and dried grasses in the background.

Thanks

Rich
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Have you looked at Mask Pro? They have a free demo that I am using now. So far I like it.
[a href=\"http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=4]http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=4[/url]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 06:02:02 am by trigeek »

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:32:39 am »

I've got most every masking product available, but right now I like the new EZMask the best.

Maskerade is really cool for static studio-shot objects.

See a list of masking options under "Selections/masking" here.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 04:33:35 am by plugsnpixels »
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up