Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF5000 Base Dimensions  (Read 3399 times)

HamSammich

Canon IPF5000 Base Dimensions
« on: November 18, 2006, 10:22:48 pm »

I'm considering getting one for my studio, which doubles as my studio apartment .

Looking at Canon's specs leaves me scratching my head. Well, aghast, too, but that's another story.

39 inches wide? That's obvious. But 28+ inches deep? Surely that includes the front tray and rear ledge's contribution.  My lowly DesignJet 30, for example, stretches 25 inches, tray tip to tray tip, but only 11 from front foot to back. Please, someone tell me it's similar with the Canon. Even the DesignJet 130, which spits out 24"x30" prints, only needs 16 1/2 inches to perch on.

I'd go down to B+H and eyeball one myself, but they're out of stock and, last I chesked, didn't have a floor model. So if anyone has the time and it doesn't involve any contortions, could you do me the kindness of measuring this monster's true footprint? I can spare enough space for 40x18 stand--plus air rights--but only if I sleep in the bathroom.  

Thanks,

Marshall
<Actress. . . Denture-wearer>

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 10:45:35 pm »

I just got mine yesterday, haven't installed it yet as I got a stand from Ikea today which I have to assemble to put it on.  It's one big MF!  Mine measures 39 inches X 20 inches deep, without any tray or roll holder on.  The "footprint" (where the actual rubber feet are on the bottom that it rests on is about 22 inches X 16 inches deep.  Can't get an exact measurement without someone to hold the printer up for me.

Hope this helps.

--John

EdB

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 11:00:37 pm »

32" from the back of the roll feed (not the base of the unit mind you)  to the front of the tray (not extended), 43" extended.

Its big.

If you have the roll feed and start making 4' plus prints you better have someplace to put them as they feed out (other than the floor).

EdB

HamSammich

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:27:43 pm »

Hope this helps.

John, it does. Thanks. That should just about do it. The "above-ground" parts will simply hang over the side.

For now, I'll be using sheets, or printing non-pano proportions on rolls, so a gargantuan landing strip won't be necessary. It's the size of the table--and floor space for it--that matter.

How do you like yours, otherwise? Have you done any nit-picking, yet, when it comes to the B+W mode? And do you ever find yourself missing the saturation of dyes for color? I love my DesignJet for that, and its utter photo-perfection on glossy. But I also dearly want to take a shot at making the kind of air-dried, soft-gloss, fiber-looking monochrome prints I once knocked out routinely with a nice negative and some cherished Seagull paper. Minus the smelly hypo-hands and, believe it or not, Amidol-black fingernails. Marilyn Manson? Fuggedaboudit!

Marshall
<The Black Hand of Weston, The Black Teeth of Yorkshire>

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 01:53:21 am »

As I said, haven't even set up or installed the printer yet.  Spent the last several hours putting together the Ikea stand to put the printer on (and it looks like a very solid and useful stand).  I may wait a couple of days for the roll holder to show up (shipped separately), since some have posted that if you don't have the roll holder on during installation, you may have to reinstall the drivers when you put it on.  Although large (and heavy), the printer appears to be exceptionally well made.

--John

HamSammich

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 02:30:25 am »

As I said, haven't even set up or installed the printer yet. 

I should pay better attention. Was juggling a phonecall and a late dinner. Man was not made for multitasking. He is, however, the only animal that blushes. Or needs to.

Good luck with the printer.

Marshall

gcl

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 12:09:54 am »

I love my DesignJet for that....[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86002\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry to take us off topic. You asked and got an answer to the same question I had about the IPF's footprint, as I have a 20" deep sideboard to put it on and wanted to know if I could get all the weight-bearing parts of the footprint on that - sounds like no problem.  I was curious about your HP DJ130, however - would it fit on the same size table as the IPF5000? For some reason I thought that its extended paper tray required support from below that would make its "base dimensions" larger than that described here for the IPF5000. Is that true?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 12:10:47 am by gcl »
Pages: [1]   Go Up