Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson pro 4800 custom page size  (Read 11512 times)

hippy Green

epson pro 4800 custom page size
« on: November 17, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »

Hi there

I new to forum, but have been looking at this fourm for some time

I have been looking a ths thred http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=10015&hl= about setting up custom page size for the epson pro 4800

But I am still having problems with setting up the custom page size

I am printing off an Roll 43.4 cm the custom page with needs to fit across this with Depth of 12cm but anything would be great

Does anyone have links to a website which has screen dumps for custom page setup printer settings for Mac

I have just updated the driver but still having troubles to version 2.69 but this still did not make any differences

I can make custom page size up but it keeps defulting back to another page size when I go back in check it from going to into "Printer"

When I am in "Printer"/Paper handling it has the "destination page size" as 8 x 10 in (Roll......)
which s wrong....and in / "Print settings" Page Setup: is Only "Roll paper - Borderless (Retain Size)

very very confusing, My throughs on this is the "EPSON" MAC printer inface is so Bad that they are forcing user to use an RIP. I have had look at the interface for PC which is lot better. I am thinking about installing Boot Camp on Mac Book Pro and running the printer from that... I have try it on Parallels but it can't run USB or fire wire interface

I don't think epson should be selling printers which such a bad printer interface

Any way it would be great to hear from you and your throughs. As think the prints off this machine are great

(amended: I am running 10.4.8)

Cheers

D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 05:52:16 pm by hippy Green »

Stephen Best

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:35:13 pm »

I can make custom page size up but it keeps defulting back to another page size when I go back in check it from going to into "Printer"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After you define the custom page size, you then have to select it from the drop-down in the Page Setup dialog. No big deal.

Hopefully Epson will one day get around to creating a plug-in to handle printing directly from Photoshop and avoid the (pretty lame) generic printer interface that Mac OS provides. The current clunkiness isn't something I'd personally pay money to fix though.

hippy Green

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 07:38:06 pm »

Quote from: Stephen Best,Nov 18 2006, 12:35 PM
After you define the custom page size, you then have to select it from the drop-down in the Page Setup dialog. No big deal.

Hi There thanks your feed back

do you mean under "page setup" page size? yes I have been selected the custom page size

is there any thing I need to do in the "Printer" section? > print settings pull down?

Cheers D

Stephen Best

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 08:03:04 pm »

is there any thing I need to do in the "Printer" section? > print settings pull down?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here's my typical workflow (Photoshop CS2, Mac OS X 10.4.8):

Select Print with Preview then click on Page Setup. If the custom page size is already defined, just select it (I have tons like 17x10, 17x11, 17x14, 17x22). If not, scroll to the bottom of the list and select Manage Custom Sizes. Define a new page (I normally just duplicate an existing one) making sure the borders are correct (the border settings also determine scaling and feed options in the printer driver to come later). Then select the page you've defined from the Paper Size drop-down in the Page Setup dialog. (All the custom page sizes will be in no particular order and there's nothing you can do about it.) Now you're back at Print with Preview. Select the profile, rendering options etc, maybe Position as well. Don't change the Scaled Print Size from 100% as it will muck up the print sharpening you've already done. Now click on Print. This will take you to the driver settings. The only tabs you need to look at are Print Settings and Print Color Management. Make the changes you need then just click on Print.

hippy Green

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:36:52 pm »

Hi Stephen

Thank you for your time, yes this process I go through in Photoshop and illustrator is the same as you have out, I been through process 100 of times

When you set up the custom page let say for an 17 x 10 what do you make the Printer margens? or do leave them as 0.0cm?

also when you get through to "print settings" which of the follow to select, roll paper, sheet (maximum), Roll paper - Banner, Roll paper - Borderless (Auto Expand) Roll Paper - Borderless (Retain size), Roll Paper - Borderless Banner, Sheet

I am trying to print from an Roll 17' (43.5)  

When I go through the same process as you, it prints 1/2 the image and use 28.2 x 43.5 of paper
my custom page size is 44.70 cm and 12cm (height) 0.0 for margens. The image size is 39.017 x 7.479

thanks again for help, I seem to be going around in Circles..... I sure it must be small thing I doing wrong???

Cheers

Damian

Stephen Best

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 10:30:39 pm »

I am trying to print from an Roll 17' (43.5) 

When I go through the same process as you, it prints 1/2 the image and use 28.2 x 43.5 of paper
my custom page size is 44.70 cm and 12cm (height) 0.0 for margens. The image size is 39.017 x 7.479
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85893\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The shortest page length the 4800 will handle on rolls is about 5" (from memory). Define a Custom Page size of 17"x5" with a border of 0.12" (3mm) on the top and 0" on the other sides. (For larger prints define 17"x10", 17"x20" etc with the same border settings.) In the printer driver, select "Roll Paper", not any of the other options.

For edge-to-edge prints (Borderless) you'll need image and page sizes slightly wider than the roll, say 17.2". For these, you select "Roll Paper - Borderless (Retain Size)".

The border settings for each feed option is documented under Page Setup Dialog Settings in the Reference Guide, which should be on the CD that came with your printer.

hippy Green

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 11:35:19 pm »

Hi Stephen

Thank you very much for your help, I have just print out my first custom sized page of the 4800

fantastic!

Kind Regards

Damian

hippy Green

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 11:44:06 pm »

Hi Stephen

By the way what is maxium print widith area on 17" (43.5) roll

Cheers

Damian

Stephen Best

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 11:54:13 pm »

By the way what is maxium print widith area on 17" (43.5) roll
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

17". You can print borderless (side to side, not top to bottom) on both rolls and sheets. According to Epson's site, the maximum print length is now 90.5" with the driver (and any length with a RIP). It used to be 44" on the 4800 so the current drivers must have upped this limit.

[a href=\"http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQs&oid=57105&prodoid=55197363&category=Products]http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...tegory=Products[/url]

aeamador

Re: epson pro 4800 custom page size
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:59 pm »

Four years later, after just purchasing a 4880, I struggled with the same issue solved here (glad I found this). What is surprising is Epson's lack of proper instruction or documentation about their products.

Other than asking around and searching scattered forums, does anyone know of a book, place or site where you can learn more about operating your epson printer?
Pages: [1]   Go Up