Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF5000 web site  (Read 8474 times)

serf

Canon iPF5000 web site
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:29:45 am »

for drivers is "down" - too much to hope for new driver, manual, etc.?

Gary Damaskos

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:25:51 am »

I have been watching the canonusa site pertinent to iPF5000 for new drivers etc for about a month. Whenever attempting a download I was always circled around back to the same page and no downloading ever occurred. That happened this AM again. This morning I also went on to wide format printers and the iPF5000 is missing completely! In the download library the only things that I think are new (from what came with the printer CD anyway) is a PosterArtist update to 1.2 / 1.31. I believe those of you thinking there are updates to the plugin etc are going to be dissappointed for awhile longer, though we all hope that eventually updates will come.
Gary

for drivers is "down" - too much to hope for new driver, manual, etc.?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

serf

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 02:09:02 pm »

This was kindly posted on the Yahoo Largeformatprinter site.  I have not tried it yet:

http://www.canon.ca/spage_e.asp?&p_page=1&...cv=1.318&\
p_cats=318&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_fnl&p_sort\
_by=dflt&carnw=RNWEng

serf

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 03:24:51 pm »

Seems to work for me (based on a couple of prints).

This was kindly posted on the Yahoo Largeformatprinter site.  I have not tried it yet:

http://www.canon.ca/spage_e.asp?&p_page=1&...cv=1.318&\
p_cats=318&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_fnl&p_sort\
_by=dflt&carnw=RNWEng
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85952\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TiX

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 04:14:06 pm »

Seems to work for me (based on a couple of prints).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Same here, seems like the communication between printer/computer is improved, and the nagging has subsided from the printer panel. I do not spot any immediate changes within the plug-in, and I can not find a list of the changes for the driver or the plug-in.

John Hollenberg

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 01:45:14 pm »

This appears to be for Mac only, not PC.

--John

serf

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 03:19:47 pm »

I suspect you are right.  The original driver had not worked on Intel Macs.  This one does (for me, at least).

This appears to be for Mac only, not PC.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 01:58:44 pm »

I just spoke to Canon (U.S.A) and asked about their download pages for the iPF5000. I'm setting up mine now and wanted the most up to date drivers (who doesn't?), and I'd prefer to use my Intel Mac to serve the printer. I have other, older Macs too, but they're less convenient for me to use with this printer due to location.

I asked if there were drivers to be added to the download page soon, mentioning that the Canada site has two offerings. The rep said that there is nothing yet for U.S. Intel Macs available, and that Canon are still testing and tweaking. He said that Canada based Intel Macs are different from U.S. machines in their OS and therefore the update was offered. Huh??

Is Canon using a smaller market to beta-test the driver?

For those who have installed the updates, how is it working for you? Are you using an Intel Mac, G5, G4? Please share your experiences. I'd love to serve the iPF5000 from an Intel Mac rather than my G5 as it will save me a lot of network hassle.

Dale

serf

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 08:35:58 pm »

I recently switched from PC to Intel Mac Pro.  I have used the Canada driver without adverse event so far, even though I have been using the 16-bit profiles I made for the Photoshop Plug-in earlier.  I'll have to re-profile.  Fairly casual use to date.

For those who have installed the updates, how is it working for you? Are you using an Intel Mac, G5, G4? Please share your experiences. I'd love to serve the iPF5000 from an Intel Mac rather than my G5 as it will save me a lot of network hassle.
Dale
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dale Allyn

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:49:28 pm »

I recently switched from PC to Intel Mac Pro.  I have used the Canada driver without adverse event so far, even though I have been using the 16-bit profiles I made for the Photoshop Plug-in earlier.  I'll have to re-profile.  Fairly casual use to date.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Serf, thank you for your input. I'll delay my profiles until I settle on my setup. First I'll try the Canada driver on the Intel Mac and if it works for my needs I'll arrange for the profiles. If it's troublesome I'll go with a G5, but that will require some network adjustments as the printer is some distance from my PowerMac.

I have to order the profiles as I don't own equipment to do my own profiles yet. I'm lusting a little for the GM Eye-One iO, but that will have to wait for a while.

Thanks again.

serf

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 09:02:26 pm »

I tried to use the network (Apple Talk) with the old driver but could not get it to work; probably my lack of Mac knowledge.  I gave up & just used a USB connection.  Please let me know if you try Apple Talk with your set up & how it works.

Dale Allyn

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 09:10:36 pm »

I tried to use the network (Apple Talk) with the old driver but could not get it to work; probably my lack of Mac knowledge.  I gave up & just used a USB connection.  Please let me know if you try Apple Talk with your set up & how it works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86267\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Serf, I will post if I end up going with ethernet. I'm planning to start with USB simply because I won't have to run 60+ feet of Cat 5 cable to the new room that I have decided to dedicate to printing.

--
Dale

Dale Allyn

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 12:31:26 am »

I tried to use the network (Apple Talk) with the old driver but could not get it to work; probably my lack of Mac knowledge.  I gave up & just used a USB connection.  Please let me know if you try Apple Talk with your set up & how it works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86267\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Serf,

From the Read Me file with the PS plug-in from the Canon Canada site:

"* If you are using Print Plug-In for Photoshop on a Macintosh with an Intel processor, use a USB connection and print with [IP Print] or [IP Print (Auto)]."

I don't know if this is part of your issue, but Macs usually network very easily otherwise. It seems that Canon may only be supporting USB connection at this time, when using the plug-in. (?)

As mentioned by so many others, these drivers and software packages with this printer are pretty badly presented. I'm looking forward to making prints with this printer, but so far, the setup is not smooth and elegant as is usually the Mac experience. Canon must have felt rushed in getting this stuff out. Let's hope that updates are available soon.

serf

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 05:58:18 am »

Thanks.  I only tried Apple Talk with the prior driver.  I don't even know what "print with [IP Print] or [IP Print (Auto)]" means!

Serf,

From the Read Me file with the PS plug-in from the Canon Canada site:

"* If you are using Print Plug-In for Photoshop on a Macintosh with an Intel processor, use a USB connection and print with [IP Print] or [IP Print (Auto)]."

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John Hollenberg

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 12:46:05 pm »

Canon USA web site support areas "Technical FAQ" and "Troubleshooting" for IPF5000 are still down.  Trying access them gives a "System Error".  This has been broken for several days, Canon knows about it (I know, because I told them just in case they didn't), and still no fix.  Very poor support, can't fathom how they are going to break into this segment of the market with this lackadaisical approach to support.

--John

Dale Allyn

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 01:00:42 pm »

Canon USA web site support areas "Technical FAQ" and "Troubleshooting" for IPF5000 are still down.  Trying access them gives a "System Error".  This has been broken for several days, Canon knows about it (I know, because I told them just in case they didn't), and still no fix.  Very poor support, can't fathom how they are going to break into this segment of the market with this lackadaisical approach to support.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86596\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's funny (strange) that I've received such excellent support from Canon in the way of camera adjustment or repair when in contact with their service centers, both in the U.S. and in Thailand. But they seem to be struggling with getting the manuals and software together in this new printer arena.

I love the iPF5000. And I appreciate that it represents new technologies or combinations of features that were lacking from other venders, but it seems that Canon underinvested in the user experience side of things.

Still, I'm happy with my purchase and looking forward to updates that will solve some of the interface issues. Like others have said, most of these printers have issues of one sort or another. I hope that Canon gets their hiccups resolved soon with the site and software.

Cheers,

Dale

John Hollenberg

Canon iPF5000 web site
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 01:56:42 pm »

I love the iPF5000. And I appreciate that it represents new technologies or combinations of features that were lacking from other venders, but it seems that Canon underinvested in the user experience side of things.

Although I am grumbling about the little things that are missing/poorly documented, I haven't had any real problems with the IPF5000 so far (5 days).  I just find it annoying that most of the things I am having trouble with are fairly  minor and a could be taken care of quite easily with better documentation or a decent FAQ from Canon.  This would make for a fantastic user experience.

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up