Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF 5000 Media Configuration Tool  (Read 2411 times)

gguida

• http://www.gguida.com
IPF 5000 Media Configuration Tool
« on: November 16, 2006, 08:38:38 am »

I have always been surprised at how Canon has been marketing its large format printers. They have been capable of good photographic output for a long time but the market channels chosen to distribute them always carefully avoided any contact with photographers or the general public. Even with the new IPF printers, they are still using the same distributors, especially in Europe. I wonder if most of the issues we are experiencing are down to departmental conflicts within Canon with the Camera department unable to appropriate ressources created by the Large Format Printer department and, most probably, the "Business Users" marketing department.

One strong hint is the following: http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/wi...ationTool-E.pdf

(I had to try to get to it several times as it started by showing an "unauthorized access" page at first)

It is a PDF manual for a WORKING version of the Media Configuration Tool that is necessary to properly use the IPF printers.

My own experience with the printer is that it is a beautiful piece of hardware only let down by an almost total lack of documentation and a weird insistance on using only Canon brand papers (which you just can't get in most parts of the world, if they do indeed exist).

If the much needed Media Configuration Tool worked for the W series printers, why cripple it for the IPF? If there was a nicely written manual for it then, why not publish it now, instead of the horrible HTML one?

I am unfortunately away from my IPF 5000 at the moment but very anxious to try the old W version of the Media Configuration Tool on it. Once I can put my favorite Hannemule, Innova or Ilford papers onto the printer selection menu, 90% of my troubles will be gone.

Has anybody with both the W and IPF printers tried any of this? They both seem to use the same GARO print monitor as a driver.

palderm

IPF 5000 Media Configuration Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 08:56:17 pm »

I have always been surprised at how Canon has been marketing its large format printers. They have been capable of good photographic output for a long time but the market channels chosen to distribute them always carefully avoided any contact with photographers or the general public. Even with the new IPF printers, they are still using the same distributors, especially in Europe. I wonder if most of the issues we are experiencing are down to departmental conflicts within Canon with the Camera department unable to appropriate ressources created by the Large Format Printer department and, most probably, the "Business Users" marketing department.

One strong hint is the following: http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/wi...ationTool-E.pdf

(I had to try to get to it several times as it started by showing an "unauthorized access" page at first)

It is a PDF manual for a WORKING version of the Media Configuration Tool that is necessary to properly use the IPF printers.

My own experience with the printer is that it is a beautiful piece of hardware only let down by an almost total lack of documentation and a weird insistance on using only Canon brand papers (which you just can't get in most parts of the world, if they do indeed exist).

If the much needed Media Configuration Tool worked for the W series printers, why cripple it for the IPF? If there was a nicely written manual for it then, why not publish it now, instead of the horrible HTML one?

I am unfortunately away from my IPF 5000 at the moment but very anxious to try the old W version of the Media Configuration Tool on it. Once I can put my favorite Hannemule, Innova or Ilford papers onto the printer selection menu, 90% of my troubles will be gone.

Has anybody with both the W and IPF printers tried any of this? They both seem to use the same GARO print monitor as a driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
hi gguida, Thanks for the info. The software is horrible,and does like crane or innova. One must print from the the"tray" is this is not always easy. One sheet at a time 2-5 times a try. palderm
Pages: [1]   Go Up