Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S ???  (Read 3996 times)

Krug

Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S ???
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:08:24 pm »

I have recently come across mention of " Canon 35mm 2.8 TS SSC MF " lens - I am only familiar with the 24/45/90 T/S lenses. But then I am fairly new to Canon.

Is this a known lens?
Will it work with my 5D or is it from an earlier era and perhaps not compatible?

Sorry if I am asking an idiot question - but then I guess that is how to learn.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S ???
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:18:10 pm »

I have recently come across mention of " Canon 35mm 2.8 TS SSC MF " lens - I am only familiar with the 24/45/90 T/S lenses. But then I am fairly new to Canon.

Is this a known lens?
Will it work with my 5D or is it from an earlier era and perhaps not compatible?

Sorry if I am asking an idiot question - but then I guess that is how to learn.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is a known lens.  Canon made a 35mm TSE lens for their pre-EOS manual focus cameras in what was referred to as the "FD mount".  FD mount lenses have to be machined and a new mount installed to use them on an EOS.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Krug

Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S ???
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 07:17:37 pm »

It is a known lens.  Canon made a 35mm TSE lens for their pre-EOS manual focus cameras in what was referred to as the "FD mount".  FD mount lenses have to be machined and a new mount installed to use them on an EOS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Jack that was exactly the sort of informative response I was hoping for and a good example of why I ( and I suspect many others ) value this site so highly - crisp, prompt and sensible information and advice.
Thanks again, John.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

mahleu

• 500px
Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S ???
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 09:56:24 am »

It is a known lens.  Canon made a 35mm TSE lens for their pre-EOS manual focus cameras in what was referred to as the "FD mount".  FD mount lenses have to be machined and a new mount installed to use them on an EOS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A cheap adapter can be bought from places like Ebay enabling you to use FD glass
on an EOS mount without further modification.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S ???
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 10:14:34 am »

Thank you Jack that was exactly the sort of informative response I was hoping for
My pleasure
~~~

A cheap adapter can be bought from places like Ebay enabling you to use FD glass
on an EOS mount without further modification.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85923\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah but...  There are two types. Since the flange-focal length of the FD mount is very close to that of the EOS mount, the adapter needs to either add space like an extension tube or add optics like a teleconverter.  So one is an extension tube and will prevent infinity focus while  the other has optics in it and acts like a tele-converter at about 1.3x base focal -- so the 35 becomes a 45.  And then you have the issue of the quality of those inexpensive optics.  Canon themselves made an optical one that was supposed to be pretty decent, but regardless you have the focal length change.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 10:14:57 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Krug

Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S ???
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 03:01:54 pm »

Thanks fellas that really has been useful.

I have been wanting a T/S mainly for distant landscape work and thought I might have stumbled upon a bargain when I saw this advertised ( without the sort of caveat explaining its potential use that your information might suggest would have been appropriate from a reputable dealer).

i would be very wary about IQ with adapters and doubt if they would justify the saving compared with buying a "regular" lens in the first place.

As in all things one gets what one pays for and real bargains are "rara aves" - I should have known better at my age but hope springs eternal even if youth doesn't !
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

DarkPenguin

Canon 35mm f2.8 T/S ???
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 03:38:59 pm »

Araxphoto and kiev cameras both sell a line of russian made tilt shift lenses.  If you are looking for inexpensive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up