Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF5000 Cassette Feeding Problems  (Read 5945 times)

oscar falero

Canon IPF5000 Cassette Feeding Problems
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:12:13 am »

Is anyone here having problems with printing sheets through the cassette?

I keep getting the message "Can't detect paper" I am having to feed every single sheet through the feeder.

Thanks
Oscar

tonywh

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 11:59:14 am »

I keep getting the message "Can't detect paper" I am having to feed every single sheet through the feeder.

Thanks
Oscar
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We recently had a similer problem due to a paper jam, cleared the paper jam and it kept giving the message 'can't detect paper'. I took the roller feed paper of and it worked fine after that, it was obviosly treating the paper in the roller  as paper from the jam.  I appreciate you havent got the roll paper engaged if you are using manual feed, but there may be similarities.

tony

oscar falero

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 01:26:47 pm »

Tony,

Thanks for responding!

I don't have a roll paper feeder installed. I am getting the problems from the cassette.

When you say turn the paper feeder off. What do you mean by that?

Thanks
Oscar

jorm

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 04:43:04 pm »

dear sirs

I also started to have this error today on my IPF5000, i have the roller installed and i just can't get this error away, this is bad im using this printer alot through the the cassette so i will call canon here in Iceland tomorrow and see what they say.

Best regards
Jebs

Dennishh

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 07:03:16 pm »

I've been using the iPF5000 a couple of months and have not seen this error. Make sure the tray is pushed all the way in and there is no small pieces of tape left over from shipping. I have roll paper loaded and am feeding sheets from the cassette at the same time. Try changing the paper type and see if this still happens.
Dennis

tonywh

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:53:41 am »

Tony,

Thanks for responding!

I don't have a roll paper feeder installed. I am getting the problems from the cassette.

When you say turn the paper feeder off. What do you mean by that?

Thanks
Oscar
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What seemed to happen with us is that there was problem, paper jam, we cleared the paper jam which was from paper taken from the cassette but the roll paper was still set up to print. The printer then said cant detect paper, didnt matter how many times I pushed the cassette back in. It was all so noticable that there was no attempt or internal movement in the printer to engage paper in the cassette.  I then removed the roll paper from the printer and the problem disapeared. My conclusion was that the roll was been treated as the paper jam and that the printer used the words cant detect paper as a general statement. So from that did you have any sort of problem before this event, and is the printer treating that as an unresolved problem. I am assuming you have already tried using the feeder selection button.
By the way we have had the printer since early july and this is the first niggle. I rang canon support and they upheld the normal standard of uk telephone support, wrong numbers on the internet, endless buttons to press before getting to somebody who gives another telephone number to ring, same procedure to be told the first department is who I should speak to, ring the sales team (they will answer telephones surely), they are all out  but somebody will ring me asap. That was monday am, its now thursday pm and still no return call. This week I have had to contact bt and orange as well, they were as bad or worse.

jorm

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 05:05:14 pm »

I talked to Canon here today, and the guy who i talked to told me he knew what is causing this problem, there is a small gear that brakes, this gear moves the roller that drives the paper from the cassette, he will be at my shop tomorrow and change this gear, takes 5 min he told me.

I will let you know how thinks goes tomorow.

Jens

Martin Phillips

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 02:25:42 pm »

Jens

I had a long wait, until September, for our iPF5000 because all the first UK batch were returned to (Germany) for a breakable part to be replaced. It may be that this is the gear replacement you are referring to?

Regardless, I have also had cassette feed problems with certain papers, especially Hahnemuehle. Are they more chalky or furred on the back? I couldn't get their Photorag artcards to load at all and yet the Crane Museo Fine Art cards work flawlessly. The same usually happens with other art papers. It drove us NUTS when we had a run of the smaller sizes to do. Has anyone else experienced this?

We have standardised on Museo Artcards, Museo MAX and Silver Rag for this reason, but also after extensive testing on our 5000 and 8000 there is no equal for gamut, quality and durability of finish that we have yet found, the downside is that they are also the most expensive papers.
Of course many of you will be looking for brightened and/or smooth papers and I cannot give  advice on these.

To allow use of the cassette for the heavier paper sheets I have been using the 'premium matte paper' setting for all the artpapers and 'photoplus semigloss' for the silver rag,(and innova f type gloss, fineart pearl, breathing color allure in testing). Is this a wise thing to do or does it of itself cause the cassette loading problems?

Since selling our old (not so faithful) Epsons we have missed the excellent Colorbyte RIP a little. Although processing 600ppi/16bit files is very taxing on the computer systems, it is producing exceedingly fine results, I wonder what the guys at Colorbyte can come up with?

On a side note, a brief dalliance with processing a file out to ProPhotoRGB instead of AdobeRGB seemed to result in even more depth of colour but I will need to do more testing when there is time. Can anyone confirm that there are real world advantages to be seen on the latest printers?

Martin

palderm

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 08:46:34 pm »

Thanks
Oscar
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Oscar, I don't think you received my last posting. The cassette will not take high quality paper crane mueso, innova etc. One must load from the "tray",and it does not do that well. I am in process of getting rid of my 5000. The soft ware is the pits. palderm

oscar falero

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:12:20 pm »

Hi Oscar, I don't think you received my last posting. The cassette will not take high quality paper crane mueso, innova etc. One must load from the "tray",and it does not do that well. I am in process of getting rid of my 5000. The soft ware is the pits. palderm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The problem also happens with Epson Luster paper.  The print quality is great, but a freaking headache if I cannot load more than one paper at a time.

I purchased the printer from inkjetart.com and they seem to be washing their hands at this point. I keep getting "we'll call the Canon rep" song and dance routine.

Oscar Falero

Tim Ernst

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 07:18:12 am »

Oscar:

You should not be having any issues with Epson luster paper - it is working fine in my machine via the cassette with lettersize, 13x19, and 17x22. If you have not done so already you need to call Canon tech support and see if they can help. Normally the guys who sell these printers can't help you and you always need to go to the source. I own five of these types of printers (Canon, Epson, HP) and have had issues with them all and had to call for support, and each time I have received pretty good service. It is amazing sometimes how much they will spend just to get a printer working again.

palderm

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 10:27:03 am »

The problem also happens with Epson Luster paper.  The print quality is great, but a freaking headache if I cannot load more than one paper at a time.

I purchased the printer from inkjetart.com and they seem to be washing their hands at this point. I keep getting "we'll call the Canon rep" song and dance routine.

Oscar Falero
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Oscar, I have had the repairman  out twice, we are "old friends". The loading from the back is an inherant defect  in the printer,it is too senitive. The other problems are software. The Canon 1-800-423-2366 help line is of little use. Iam working with a Canon rep now to see about return of the 5000. My dealer has been a little more helpful. Call me if you want to discuss more. 803-351-5253 Palderm ps. my phone answers Swamp turkey
Pages: [1]   Go Up