Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple quality...  (Read 9827 times)

gorosh

Apple quality...
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 07:33:22 am »

Apple had various issues with their hardware over last few years. I remember that lot of people had problems with first "Titanium" laptops, they were literally falling apart (case problems, display problems, HDD etc.).

New iMac line also has various issues, especially 24" model. I was considering buying that model recently, but I gave up. I didn't like it's almost non-existent upgrade options and screen quality, but later I found it had more serious issues. For example, 24" display is way too bright, even if you turn the brightness setting at the lowest level. However, if you turn down the brightness level, suddenly iMac starts to emit humming noise, and the lower you go the hum is louder.

I think those are serious issues for such expensive computer (I know that new iMac's are competitively priced, but you can still get PC with faster processor, faster GPU, more memory, more HDD space and faster drives, and better display for LESS money, not to mention upgrade options, so they are still expensive IMHO). You end up paying for Mac OS X, and although to certain extent it has sense, since OS X has many advantages over other operating systems, combined with quality issues iMac line has at the moment I think it's not as good option as it seems at first glance, unfortunately.

I just can't understand how could they make such bad move with the 24" iMac screen.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Apple quality...
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 05:47:53 am »

I just can't understand how could they make such bad move with the 24" iMac screen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85915\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The iMac is IMHO a living room computer, people (like me an my girlfriend) go for it because it is a good looking piece of furniture that can optionally also be used as a computer, sometimes.

From this standpoint, having a bright screen is not that much of an issue. It would be if you were to use for critical photo editing work, but that is not what the iMac was designed for.

I do not rely on it for anything critical, I still have my workhose 3 years old 2 Xeon PC that has never let me down a single minute. I might replace is with a Mac Pro sometimes next year when PS CS3 is released, or maybe not.

By the way, the iMac is back and works fine for now, who knows until when that is going to last...

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

Apple quality...
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 07:20:19 am »

...By the way, the iMac is back and works fine for now, who knows until when that is going to last...
...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bernard,
My experience is that, once fixed, they can last a long long time, unless you got a lemon!
I wish you all the best with your repaired iMac.
I'd keep a gallon of Evian just in case you turn it into a fish bowl.

By the way, congrats for your photos of Shichuan, they are truely fantastic!
Francois

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Apple quality...
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 08:40:02 am »

Bernard,
My experience is that, once fixed, they can last a long long time, unless you got a lemon!
I wish you all the best with your repaired iMac.
I'd keep a gallon of Evian just in case you turn it into a fish bowl.

By the way, congrats for your photos of Shichuan, they are truely fantastic!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86147\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks a lot for your encouraging words Francois!  

a+
Bernard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up