Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Canyon Rafting Trip  (Read 3674 times)

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
Grand Canyon Rafting Trip
« on: August 10, 2005, 04:56:35 pm »

I've been to, down into, and through the Grand Canyon a few times, and you'll definitely need wide angle capability. The scale is truly awesome. Don't forget about the stitch-assist mode on the S70 (I use one myself as a backup to a Rebel XT) for scenes that are too wide for a single frame. I turn mine vertically and use the "top to bottom" stitch mode to get a stitched image that's 3072 pixels high instead of the 2304 you'd get if panning with the camera horizontal. Autostitch produces much better stitches than Canon's software, quickly and easily. Only caveat is stitch assist and Autostitch only work with jpegs, not raw.
     You could probably get by without the 70-200 lens since the 28-135 is 45-216 "equivalent". I've hardly ever used telephoto in the canyon, but I suppose your choice of subjects may be different.
     If you're rafting, you'll need a relaible way to keep the equipment dry. Splashes are inevitable, and submersion not unlikely.

Enjoy the ride!

fdw

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 11:49:48 am »

I have a 6 day raft trip coming up down the Grand Canyon. I am taking my Canon S70 with a polarizer and have decided to take my Canon 20D with 17-40 L, 50 1.4, 28-135 IS, 70-200 L lenses and tripod. I have polarizer and UV filters for all my lenses. My question is do I need all of these and do I need to use the hoods especially with the polarizers. Will a bit difficult to adjust.

howard smith

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 03:53:56 pm »

The Grand Canyon is grand, but the laws of photography do not change.  Use the equipment you normally use the way you narmally do.  Just be aware you have a good chance of getting things wet if you raft.  I simply packed it all in a Pelican box and lashed it to the cargo raft (where I rode and made friends with the man rowing the boat).  All the photos I took were from the ground so little changed.

Much of the Colorado through the Grand Canyon is calm and flat water.  You can easily hand hold about as easily as you can anywhere else.  For on board shots in white water, I would recommend a Nikonos with an above water lens.  Low tech as it is, you might also consider a water proof throw away camera (Kodak for instance).  I used them on the Salmon in Idaho and they were fine.  No, they will not resolve the name on the cigarette butt a mile away, but who really cares when white water rafting?
Pages: [1]   Go Up