Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evian in Lagavulin???  (Read 4154 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Evian in Lagavulin???
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:28:14 pm »

Michael,

Isn't that a violation of the Pure Malt drinking rules?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:28:38 pm by BernardLanguillier »

pobrien3

Evian in Lagavulin???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:09:19 am »

Absolutely not!  As a Brit with strong Scots roots (who worked extensively in the booze business), I can tell you that it is perfectly acceptable to take the water of life in this way.  It's said that whisky used to be distilled at about half the concentration it is today, and when the deadful Englishmen slapped tax per gallon on the stuff the canny Scots brewed it twice as strong and re-diluted before drinking.  Not sure how much of that is lore...!  My Father-in-law who's as Scottish as a thistle always takes it half and half - I prefer a smaller amount of water, depending on the brew.

My objection is to French water in a Scotch whisky (though it does go rather well - nice and soft) - it should be water from the same district the stuff was brewed in the first place!!  

Michael, try a Talisker if you haven't already.  If you can find a single-cask elderly example, you're in for a treat.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:10:05 am by pobrien3 »

jani

• Øyet
Evian in Lagavulin???
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:02:59 am »

Absolutely not!  As a Brit with strong Scots roots (who worked extensively in the booze business), I can tell you that it is perfectly acceptable to take the water of life in this way.
Yes, but seriously, Evian? Who voluntarily drinks a product that's "Naive" spelled backwards?

It's said that whisky used to be distilled at about half the concentration it is today, and when the deadful Englishmen slapped tax per gallon on the stuff the canny Scots brewed it twice as strong and re-diluted before drinking. Not sure how much of that is lore...! My Father-in-law who's as Scottish as a thistle always takes it half and half - I prefer a smaller amount of water, depending on the brew.
I've found that it depends a lot on the whisky. For instance, Talisker seems to do well with just a teaspoon or two of water to 2cl of whisky, some cask strength whiskies "want" 1/3 water, others almost nothing.

My objection is to French water in a Scotch whisky (though it does go rather well - nice and soft) - it should be water from the same district the stuff was brewed in the first place!! 
Straight from the brook! But preferably at the same temperature as the whisky itself.

Since I don't live in Scotland, I have to settle with tap water (which usually is better than bottled water over here).

Michael, try a Talisker if you haven't already.  If you can find a single-cask elderly example, you're in for a treat.
The "double matured" Distiller's Edition series of Talisker, Oban, Lagavulin etc. are very drinkable.

I would also like to recommend Rosebank 13 yrs, Bowmore 17 yrs, Highland Park 18 yrs, Glenfiddich Gran Reserva 21 yrs (but none of the others from Glenfiddich, including the 30 yrs), almost any MacAllan.

Oh, what the heck, most of the single malts on my list are good.
Jan

michael

Evian in Lagavulin???
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 08:04:41 am »

Actually, the necter of the gods to my mind is Glenrothes. Hard to find, but......

And yes, mixing a single malt with a bit of unchlorinated water is not only acceptable, but appropriate. Just don't use ice or soda. That's reserved for blends.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Michael

pobrien3

Evian in Lagavulin???
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:08:07 am »

Distiller's Edition 1987 Lagavulin awaits me when I get home from this trip - I bought a couple of bottles on my last return to Blighty, shame they were out of the Talisker!

I can't do a Bowmore younger than 20 years I'm afarid - it's still got a few hard edges to come off it and too salty, but the older stuff is a treat.

I'm making do with a Johnny Walker black label in my hotel room - it ain't the same!
Pages: [1]   Go Up