Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What Do You Do with Your Medium Format Film Camera  (Read 10237 times)

Riverman

What Do You Do with Your Medium Format Film Camera
« on: November 13, 2006, 06:46:43 pm »

I'm curious how many out their still have medium format cameras and what you use them for?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 07:44:58 pm »

Paper weight.    

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 08:15:28 pm »

In a word, landscapes.  Images where I can take my time with them, no motor drives necessary as in wildlife shooting.

Okay, that's more than one word...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:44:36 pm »

Photography  

Rich

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 10:41:48 pm »

just sold...

tonypassera

• http://www.blueirisphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 11:29:26 pm »

I'm curious how many out their still have medium format cameras and what you use them for?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I still use a pentax 645 system for landscapes and portraits.
I have a D2X, which I use most of the time.  But,
for portraits, I like to actually see facial expressions,
and for that the pentax viewfinder is dramatically better.  I also
get better skin tones from film than from the d2x.

Of course, I'm about to give in and get a MFDB.  Just wish
I didn't have to buy a new camera.  I like the pentax a lot.
Their zooms are especially nice for hiking with a small pack.
But, there's no evidence that they're going to come out with
their 645D any time soon...

Tony

pobrien3

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 12:16:22 am »

Mamiya 7II with 4 great lenses gathering dust, RZ67 II with LOADS of glass also gathering dust.  I'd sell 'em if I could, but I'm emotionally attached to the RZ!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:32:15 am »

Pentax 6X7 outfit with 45, 105, 150 and 300.  Had it for 20 years, sold to a student.  I was sorry to see an old friend go, but I knew I'd never use it again.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 07:40:21 am »

Museum object.

(No. 2 Folding Cartridge Hawk-Eye - Model B, Eastman Kodak Co. - it takes 120 film, so it must be medium format, right )
Jan

ken_bennett

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 10:05:51 am »

Bronica 6x6 system, complete, gathering dust in locker. Two Fuji rangefinder 6x9 cameras -- great lenses, especially the 65mm -- gathering dust in locker. Fuji version of Xpan, gathering dust in locker. Cambo 4x5 system, complete, gathering dust in locker. All my old 35mm SLRs, well, you get the idea. I don't want to sell any of it (prices are far too low), but it's not getting a lot of use. Sigh.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 12:45:25 pm »

I normally use a digital back on my Hasselblads, but I'll still use film about once month,

1. To get the full fisheye effect from my Hasselblad 30mm lens, it really needs the square 56mm x 56mm frame rather than a 37mm x 49mm sensor.

2. Sometimes I'll use the 38mm Biogon on the 903 SWC as a lightweight "walk-around" camera, this exercise just works better for me with film. For one thing being limited to twelve shots (I only take the single pre-loaded roll) makes me think harder about each shot rather than shooting first and thinking afterwards which is a trap with digital.

3. If the final intention is a silver black and white print (and they still are for me the standard against which I judge monochrome inkjet) there's a special satisfaction in going the all silver route.

4. I like to keep a record of my family using film. It's partly an insurance policy for future generations against an unidentified technology calamity, but mainly because negatives give future generations a better guarantee that these shots haven't been tampered with. It's difficult to resist the temptation to do asome Photoshop retouching with portraits, and somewhere in the archive I want a more accurate reference so people as yet unborn can see what their great great grandparents really looked like!

5. For 35mm cameras I still occasionally use film for three additional reasons. Firstly, infra red. Secondly, a Contax T3 still delivers exceptionally high quality from a truly pocketable camera. And thirdly, taking photographs with my 1932 Leica II or 1957 Leica M3 is a pleasurable experience in itself!

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 04:22:24 pm »

Bought an Imacon cf132 back for the Hasselblad ELX and use it for  all sorts of photography( after using digital SLR's for a few years ). Great decision , beautiful images and I am making a lot of money with it. The CF lenses seem to work better with digital than they ever did with film.
The Pentax 67 comes out for the odd wedding or portrait and the negatives scan quickly and well on an Epson 4990 with Silverfast so its a great  cheap digital MF alternative with that real 67 wide aperture look which I bought it for originally  .
I have a GA645 Fuji which rarely sees the light of day but isn't worth selling as it comes in handy once in a while.
Use a 1ds2 now for everything else.

Frere Jacques

• http://found.kezman.info/
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 03:05:47 am »

Any interest in selling the Mamiya 7 lenses...?

Mamiya 7II with 4 great lenses gathering dust, RZ67 II with LOADS of glass also gathering dust.  I'd sell 'em if I could, but I'm emotionally attached to the RZ!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pobrien3

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 03:12:56 am »

Not without the body, sorry!  The camera and lenses are lovely, but after moving to digital capture I just can't be bothered with the developing and scanning of film.  I do miss those nice big transparencies though...

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 12:14:28 pm »

I use my old Contax 645 as a 'digital back holder' for the P45    

Actaully what is gathering dust is my Minolta Pro film scanner! (ocassionaly Ishoot some landscapes with a film bakon a second body. I am almost afraid to A-B digital film. My older P25 was already better than slide film.

Victor

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 04:49:25 pm »

...and what you use them for?
Damn near everything, 'cause I'd take a bath trying to sell my beloved Contax 645 system with my eager but kludgy Kodak ProBack hanging off its rear. I love the ergonomics and ruggedness of the camera, love the lenses, and have been able to work around the back's considerable functional/ergonomic limitations.

System excels at portraits, studio-type stuff, and general shooting. Limited architecture. Biggest street shooting system this side of an 8x10 view camera, and almost as easy to tote!

Heck, I use it for stuff for which it is wildly inappropriate, in lieu of flagellating myself with a scourge as I march around in a circle chanting dirges. For example: I shot an equestrian event this weekend with that big a-- 350 on a monopod, looked like a field artillery piece. (Yes, 5-9 fps would have been handy during the stadium jump and cross country events, but i did catch a few in mid-jump using my Mark One eyeball and index finger at about .7 fps.) We're under the approach path for UPS's home airport, so I half expected Homeland Security to show up to confiscate the beast.

Also shot a bunch of skaters at an extreme sports park, same rig as the equestrian. A few kids asked me if they were going to be on TV! Think I blew out a disk in my back trying to climb out of a bowl.

Just can't bear to part with the thing for the D200/D2x that would be so much more suitable for a lot of my shooting.
michael sebast

williamrohr

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 01:39:59 am »

Hasselblad 203FE ... sent it back, had it converted to digital so a CFV hangs on the back ... its like your wife of 25 years losing twenty pounds and getting a new hair do ... my GX-617 still carries film and lives in the car at the ready for the next big storm ... try getting a great panoramic seascape with lots of waves by stitching  

Frere Jacques

• http://found.kezman.info/
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 10:47:23 am »

S'ok, I understand. I just bought mine & I love it!! Provia 400 looks AWESOME...now I just have to buy an MF scanner...      

Not without the body, sorry!  The camera and lenses are lovely, but after moving to digital capture I just can't be bothered with the developing and scanning of film.  I do miss those nice big transparencies though...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

shanelord

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 12:25:51 pm »

I'm selling all of my medium format equipment. I will miss my Mamiya RZ67 Pro II it is a beautiful, although heavy  camera. The studio I work for is going digital and we are branching out into weddings so I have no choice. FYI I have it up in eBay. If you are interested send me an email and I will send you the link. (I'm not allowed to post the link here apparently). Thx! shanelord@gmail.com

Shane
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:29:14 pm by shanelord »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 06:45:03 pm »

Hasselblad 2000F/CM landscape and some architectural photography.  As my photoshop skills improve, I'm seeing fewer "film vs: digital" issues . . . Since a digital back is way beyond my budget, I'll enjoy shooting film with it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up