Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My brand new 5D  (Read 3586 times)

D. King

My brand new 5D
« on: November 12, 2006, 07:04:40 pm »

I got my new 5D yesterday and shot off about thirty shots today.  Towards the end of the shoot a smudge appeared in the frame.  I call it a smudge because it has soft edges and is rectangular in shape.  

I've read that it is not uncommon for oil from the shutter mechanism to get on the sensor.  Since I did not change the lens between shots it may be oil -- but just in case it is a piece of dust I activated the "sensor clean" on the camera.  It's been running now for several minutes.  The directions don't mention how long it takes but they do caution not to turn off the camera while it's running.  

I know there's no point asking how long the sensor clean is supposed to take because, hopefully, it will have stopped by the time you read this.  But if the smudge is still there, is there some kind of cleaning material I should use to get it off?  

I've ordered the Arctic Butterfly but it won't be here for a few days and I don't think it's good for oil.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:06:20 pm by DURNFORD KING »

John Sheehy

My brand new 5D
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 07:34:19 pm »

The 5D does not have any sensor cleaning.  The option is to allow *you* to manually clean it; something that I don't recommend you trying until you have read up on the issues involved.

picnic

My brand new 5D
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 08:59:42 pm »

I got my new 5D yesterday and shot off about thirty shots today.  Towards the end of the shoot a smudge appeared in the frame.  I call it a smudge because it has soft edges and is rectangular in shape. 

I've read that it is not uncommon for oil from the shutter mechanism to get on the sensor.  Since I did not change the lens between shots it may be oil -- but just in case it is a piece of dust I activated the "sensor clean" on the camera.  It's been running now for several minutes.  The directions don't mention how long it takes but they do caution not to turn off the camera while it's running. 

I know there's no point asking how long the sensor clean is supposed to take because, hopefully, it will have stopped by the time you read this.  But if the smudge is still there, is there some kind of cleaning material I should use to get it off? 

I've ordered the Arctic Butterfly but it won't be here for a few days and I don't think it's good for oil.

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Durnford, the sensor cleaning setting on the 5D just lifts and holds the mirror so you can get at the sensor.  Be sure and read your manual.  You take off the lens, set for sensor cleaning and it will lift and you can see the sensor--which you will then clean with brush (be sure and do research on cleaning) or 'wet' clean (the Copperhill method).  When you turn off the camera--the mirror drops down and you can check for how clean you got it by shooting the sky at f/22 and then looking at it at 100%.  Good luck--its easy to do--but sort of nerve wracking the first time.  

I am not sure from your description if the smudge appeared in the viewfinder--(if so, blow the mirror off lightly so you don't blow 'stuff' further into the camera).   If you are seeing the smudge on your images, then you can clean the inside of the chamber also--I bought foam covered stickes that I used with Eclipse to clean the chamber.  This will help get rid of the loose stuff lolling around inside that will eventually get elsewhere.  Then you are good to go for cleaning the sensor

Here's an excellent link for sensor cleaning
[a href=\"http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/]http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/[/url]

Diane

D. King

My brand new 5D
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 02:00:23 am »

Durnford, the sensor cleaning setting on the 5D just lifts and holds the mirror so you can get at the sensor.  Be sure and read your manual.  You take off the lens, set for sensor cleaning and it will lift and you can see the sensor--which you will then clean with brush (be sure and do research on cleaning) or 'wet' clean (the Copperhill method).  When you turn off the camera--the mirror drops down and you can check for how clean you got it by shooting the sky at f/22 and then looking at it at 100%.  Good luck--its easy to do--but sort of nerve wracking the first time. 

I am not sure from your description if the smudge appeared in the viewfinder--(if so, blow the mirror off lightly so you don't blow 'stuff' further into the camera).   If you are seeing the smudge on your images, then you can clean the inside of the chamber also--I bought foam covered stickes that I used with Eclipse to clean the chamber.  This will help get rid of the loose stuff lolling around inside that will eventually get elsewhere.  Then you are good to go for cleaning the sensor

Here's an excellent link for sensor cleaning
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for that info, Diane.  The smudge showed up on the frames after I imported the images to the computer.  

After reading about the new Pentax which has a vibrating sensor cleaner I assumed, from the wording in the manual, that the 5D did too.  Silly me.

And thanks for the link.  

And yes, John, I'm working on learning the manual.

Andy M

• http://
My brand new 5D
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 05:30:23 am »

I think this 'smudge' happens quite often with a new 5D, it certainly did mine

I'd also recommend buying a Rocket Blower device which will allow you to blow a soft stream of air into the camera, hopefully dislodging the smudge

picnic

My brand new 5D
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 06:54:31 am »

I think this 'smudge' happens quite often with a new 5D, it certainly did mine

I'd also recommend buying a Rocket Blower device which will allow you to blow a soft stream of air into the camera, hopefully dislodging the smudge

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84910\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, and you can carry these with you easily.  You can do the same with the Arctic Butterfly also--I think that's why Michael recommends it.

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up