Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New lens for landscape photos.....filling a gap  (Read 4617 times)

Aaron19

New lens for landscape photos.....filling a gap
« on: November 12, 2006, 11:00:41 am »

I'm trying to determine what lens to get to fill a much needed gap in my line-up.  Currently I have the Tokina 12-24 f/4, EF 50/1.8 and EF 70-200f/4L.  My first quandary is do I get a prime (35 f/2, f1.4L ??) or do I get a zoom (24-70L, 24-105L, ??).  The lenses in parenthesis are just my thoughts, so if I'm missing a good alternative please let me know!  

As far as financial considerations go, spending $1000 or $500 for a solution isn't too much a deal-breaker.  I would prefer to spend less, but if one of the L lenses is the best solution then I'll go for it.  

I guess I should also let you all know that I have a 30D (and DRebel for backup).  

Aaron Cowan
Aaron Cowan
 Canon 30D, DRebel | Tokina 1

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:10:59 am »

Tamron 28-75 would also work well.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 12:40:54 pm »

What type of work do you do?

If it involves hand-held images, the IS function on the 24-105 would help you out. Other than that, I'll let others suggest.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 12:41:30 pm by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

augg

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 03:31:55 pm »

well it dpends what you like to shoot. i find the 85 1.2 the best purchase i have ever made.

www.dancallis.com

Aaron19

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 10:24:39 pm »

Since I have a 1.6x crop factor camera I would like to have a wider lens than the 85L.  As far as shooting handheld or not, I mostly use a tripod, so the IS would be okay in the seldom chances I use it but the added focal length of the 24-105 over the 24-70 would the main selling point for me.  

My idea is to have a lens wide enough but not too wide or too narrow FOV to take stitched panos.  I like the sweeping landscape shots.  I've only been shooting for a couple of years and even at that I haven't had many chances to get out and shoot which is the best way to improve.  I don't want obsession over gear to overshadow the necessity of good technique, but I know having good glass is important.  

I know primes are better than zooms in performance and that some zooms are very very close to equalling primes in performance.  I guess the questions within my question is should I go with a zoom or a prime, and should I stay with Canon or go with the cheaper (but still very good) Tamron 28-75 f/2.8??  This is more specific than I was before and hopefully this will help.  

Thank you for the replies I have received so far!

Aaron Cowan
Aaron Cowan
 Canon 30D, DRebel | Tokina 1

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 10:39:05 pm »

Probably 60% of the images I put into stitched panoramics are taken with my Canon 24-70 f:2.8 L zoom (the rest with the 70-200). It's extremely sharp at both ends, without the vignetting that seems to plague the 24-105, though I suspect that your 30D will crop out the portion of the image circle subject to this. It's also a full 35 mm format lens, so if you ever move up to a full-frame D-SLR you won't have to upgrade your glass.
On the other hand, it's as heavy as a brick, and a big chunk of its image circle will be wasted on a smaller format sensor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up