Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x5 digital backs  (Read 4004 times)

Goose

4x5 digital backs
« on: November 11, 2006, 09:02:16 pm »

Hello everyone

Because I only use my Canham 4x5 infrequently, to make calendar images of Phoenix for a publisher, it sits in my closet now most of the time. I continue to use 4x5 transparency sheet film when I do use it.

From what I see, it seems for the purposes of these 15 x 15 inch calendar images, a 35mm 8+ mp 35 mm camera would now produce as good as needed images. So, I wonder about my 4x5. I hear what the local camera store people are telling me, that my equipment is becoming a dinasaur and I should sell it soon (and buy a camera from them), but because I also continue to love (and one day produce) large print nature photography, something in me says don't give this Canham and these three Rodenstock lenses away.

But I was surprized to learn that a new 4x5 back is still $20,000. I guess there are fairly priced used 4x5 digital backs out there floating around now, but I know next to nothing about them. Are these backs like older digital cameras -- the ones that first sold, with only 2 mp?

Please let me hear from anyone who has insights to share. I would appreciate  anyones input!

albest

Walt Puciata

cescx

• http://
4x5 digital backs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 06:08:11 am »

Hi...

If you use the 4x5 only for static shoots, one way is a scan back, more affrodable, and by more resolution to digital back. (phase one powe phase or earyer).

other low price (relative) solution is an no CF back, like sinar 54 or leaf valeo 22, about 15.000 $.

and in the same range, the A65 or P30, corp backs.

Another alternative, to 15*15 final print, is a canon 1ds mk2 or mamiya zd. If you not need the camera movements.
Francesc Costa

Gary Ferguson

• http://
4x5 digital backs
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:54:24 am »

If you need camera movements you'll get slightly better 15" x 15" quality from 4x5 film with modern large format lenses than from a Canon 1Ds MkII with Canon Tilt & Shift lenses.

And I say this as a regular and satisfied user of a 1Ds MkII with all three T&S lenses. IMO the T&S lenses deliver slightly better quality than I'd expect from 645 film, and similar but not quite as good quality as you could expect from a 6x9 film back on a movement camera.

jess lee

4x5 digital backs
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 09:54:15 pm »

Walt,
You are getting a sales job. Simply put your 4x5 fills the need and it is payed for I would guess. Right now large format equipment in holding stable in the value area and the fact is digital camera are being replaced by new models on a 18 to 24 month cycle.

Digital is wonderful for many applications but it is not necessary for many also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up