Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: PK Sharpener and Windows Vista?  (Read 19468 times)

jlmwyo

PK Sharpener and Windows Vista?
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 07:23:42 pm »

Where can I buy (and or download) Vista today? I'm not a beta, not a member of some MS club, just a guy who wants to buy it today. Where can I get it? Went to MS's site, it says I have to wait until January.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
What do they mean by 'broadly available?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andrew, its available right now to the major PC Manufacturers so they can deploy machines with it preinstalled for sale on the January launch date, so they have time to get ready.

It's also available to software developers by subscribing to MSDN, the Microsoft Developer's Network, so they can tweak their code to be ready in time for the launch. I'm surprised PG is not a member of MSDN, as I have a friend that works for a niche company that markets receipt printers/kiosk printers, and they subscribe to MSDN for the purposes of driver development. He's a firmware engineer there and designs their printer firmware.

You are right, Joe Schmoe can NOT buy it today, not until the launch date. However MS has released several PUBLICLY available beta builds (just like Lightroom) for users to try, and I'm running one of those builds, the Release Canidate 2 build. By this stage in their development cycle most of the major bugs are worked out (notice I said MOST), and the feature set has been decided upon.

I can't imagine developing software and not being a MSDN member, especially when you know a new OS is down the pike.

Hope that helps.
Images of Wyoming
 [url=http://www.pbase.

jlmwyo

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 07:24:44 pm »

Oh, 'broadly available' means Wal-Mart will be selling it on the launch date  
Images of Wyoming

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 07:56:12 pm »

Andrew, its available right now to the major PC Manufacturers so they can deploy machines with it preinstalled for sale on the January launch date, so they have time to get ready.

What I was expecting. Thanks.

I can't imagine developing software and not being a MSDN member, especially when you know a new OS is down the pike.

Neither can I. Fortunately our engineer is well up to speed on this and other 'developments' but then, I don't recall anyone referring to the fact he might not.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 07:57:25 pm »

Oh, 'broadly available' means Wal-Mart will be selling it on the launch date 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85719\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I might actually be inclined to buy a copy if I can run it on an Intel Mac. I could say I hate giving MS money but I'm a long time Office user.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 10:50:41 pm »

It's also available to software developers by subscribing to MSDN, the Microsoft Developer's Network, so they can tweak their code to be ready in time for the launch. I'm surprised PG is not a member of MSDN, as I have a friend that works for a niche company that markets receipt printers/kiosk printers, and they subscribe to MSDN for the purposes of driver development. He's a firmware engineer there and designs their printer firmware.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm a MSDN Universal (since 1997) subscriber - I can assure you that I or any other MSDN subscriber does *not*  have access to Vista RTM as of today (Nov 16th).

The only souls with that access are system manufacturers and developers/hardware vendors renting space at Microsoft's Redmond and Bellevue, WA facilties dedicated for this purpose, and of course select meber of the press.

All that being said - the question of software compatibility is a fair question, but beyond the vendor's assurance that Vista will be supported, any further questions are unwarranted.  To clarify this - I also have customers calling regarding Vista support, to which I happily respond, "No problem - we will support you".  If my customer chooses to follow up with hypothetical questions about issues they may or may have in the future, I'll, as diplomatically as possible, tell them to stop wasting my and their time, and ask if they have any existing support issues we can help them with.

There *are* well documented work arounds to help support legacy and/or unsupported applications that for some reason or another, require administrative access to either system files or protected areas of the Windows registry.  One of the simplest can be found in Vista's own help documentation which I found as early as RC1:

To mark an application to always require a full administrator access token:

Right click the application file, select Properties then click the compatibility tab.  Under Privilege Level, select the Run this program as an administrator check box, and then click OK.

This works fine for a couple of plug-ins I rely on including a scanner add-in.  Note:  I'm talking in this case about Vista RC2.

More info can be found at:

[a href=\"http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/11/01/announcing-the-windows-vista-application-compatibility-factory.aspx]http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...ty-factory.aspx[/url]

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...ty/default.mspx

Finally, Andrew:  Vista RC2 runs like a champ on a dual-core mac my partner has using bootcamp.  It also runs great in VMware and Ms's beta Virtual PC 2007.  Now if we could only get Mac OSX running in a VM . . .  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:10:54 pm by Joh.Murray »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 11:10:58 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PixelGenius is indeed an MSDN member (Microsoft Developers Network) as well as an ADC member (Apple Developer Connection) as well as an ASN member (Adobe Solutions Network) and we do have access to what I believe is the GM build...it was posted 2006-11-16 21:56:18 (UTC) (that's today). Course, it's a 2555MB ISO-9660 DVD image, so it'll be a while before it's downloaded...

:~)

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 11:27:59 pm »

PixelGenius is indeed an MSDN member (Microsoft Developers Network) as well as an ADC member (Apple Developer Connection) as well as an ASN member (Adobe Solutions Network) and we do have access to what I believe is the GM build...it was posted 2006-11-16 21:56:18 (UTC) (that's today). Course, it's a 2555MB ISO-9660 DVD image, so it'll be a while before it's downloaded...

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85755\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL - and to think I found out about availability of final bits here . . . . thanks!

jlmwyo

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 11:40:27 pm »

Cool Jeff  

Obviously my dates were off, last I had heard it WAS up for download. I believe that was the original plan (November 1 is what I had heard), but you know how things change with MS.

Best regards to all
Images of Wyoming

bjanes

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2006, 11:20:01 am »

Well then, can you tell us how PK works with whatever version of Vista that your development team does have? All the talk about NDAs and "unknown" behavior with Vista has not been helpful and it seems as if some people are not able to use PK with Vista operating as a limited user.

pcrov

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2006, 01:10:47 pm »

Well then, can you tell us how PK works with whatever version of Vista that your development team does have? All the talk about NDAs and "unknown" behavior with Vista has not been helpful and it seems as if some people are not able to use PK with Vista operating as a limited user.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll jump in here with an easy quote from earlier in the thread.

Well, COUGH, I have discovered the fix gentlemen, for those that want to use PK with Vista.

The problem lies with Photoshop itself actually. In order to get PK to work either in trial mode or to register with your serial, you have to run Photoshop itself as Administrator. I am guessing its needed so PS can have access to the system registry for PK.

It's quite simple really: simply right click on your Vista Start Menu entry for PS CS2 and select "Run As Administrator" and voila, the demo mode of PK will now work, AND it will also accept your license key for those that have fully registered the product.

Wonder if this issue will effect any other plugins that require keys, will have to see I guess.

ADDENDUM: Both Convert to Black and White Pro, and Noise Ninja install/run without issue WITHOUT having to run CS2 as Administrator, unlike PK. It seems like you have some issues you need to investigate gentelmen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now can y'all stop being such drama queens?

bjanes

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2006, 01:39:30 pm »

I'll jump in here with an easy quote from earlier in the thread.
Now can y'all stop being such drama queens?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85815\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, we can all read and have seen that post. However, running as administrator opens up your system to hackers and malware. Furthermore, if you are no a network, such as in business and school, you probably do not have administrative privileges.

pcrov

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2006, 01:44:22 pm »

You asked how to make it work and were told. If you don't like the answer you can wait until it's officially supported.

Yes, we can all read and have seen that post. However, running as administrator opens up your system to hackers and malware. Furthermore, if you are no a network, such as in business and school, you probably do not have administrative privileges.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[note: I am in no way affiliated with PK Sharpener. If you don't like my response, tough shit.]

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2006, 01:51:43 pm »

You asked how to make it work and were told. If you don't like the answer you can wait until it's officially supported.
[note: I am in no way affiliated with PK Sharpener. If you don't like my response, tough shit.]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85824\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm glad you're not because you said what I would have like to but will not <grin>.

This post really should end, it's nothing but a huge cluster-f#%K and not getting us anywhere.

Let's go back to arguing Mac versus PC, Nikon versus Canon, 8-bit versus high bit, Prime lens versus Zoom or Raw versus JPEG. Much more fun...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 01:52:05 pm by digitaldog »

bjanes

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2006, 05:00:01 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85824\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm glad you're not because you said what I would have like to but will not <grin>.

This post really should end, it's nothing but a huge cluster-f#%K and not getting us anywhere.

Let's go back to arguing Mac versus PC, Nikon versus Canon, 8-bit versus high bit, Prime lens versus Zoom or Raw versus JPEG. Much more fun...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pcrov,

I will have to take your word that you are not affiliated with PixelGenius, because your attitude is indistinguishable from theirs. Maybe you should apply for work there.  

This attitude is confirmed by Mr. Rodney. I agree this whole thread is a largely a waste of time, but suggest that it could have been avoided by a straight answer in the first place. As it is, the remedy has been partially supplied by a frustrated user who was chastised inappropriately by Mr. Schewe for not reading the readme. However, this whole episode does suggest that PixelGenius is not up to speed with Vista and that their customer support is lacking, so it is not a complete waste of time.

It also confirms that the emperors have no clothes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 05:02:09 pm by bjanes »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2006, 05:15:23 pm »

However, this whole episode does suggest that PixelGenius is not up to speed with Vista and that their customer support is lacking, so it is not a complete waste of time.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, I suspect that several members of PG are more "up to speed" on Vista that you are since several of us have been actively working with MSFT on a consulting basis for several years...and have actually contributed to certain features and functions being -IN- Vista. The only thing I will admit is an unwillingness to install BETA OS's on developmental machines that we need to actually get work done on and an unwillingness to offer support for officially unsupported system configurations.

As for PG customer support being lacking, have you ever actually contacted PG Customer Support with an issue? If there is any lack of support via [a href=\"http://www.pixelgenius.com/support.html]PixelGenius Customer Support[/url] I would like to know about it.

As far as my "online attitude" well, dooode, I've been like this since the old AOL & CompuServe days...my response to people online is a mirror of their attitude towards me. Wanna give me shyte, I'll give it right back atcha...

The only good out of this whole thread is finding out, last night, that the GM installers for Vista are finally available to MSDM members. So, now PixelGenius can go about its business of including support for the consumer release of a new OS.

BTW, through ADC we've got access to preliminary documentation and dev builds of Leopard, and no, PixelGenius won't be offering support for THAT OS until it ships either.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up