Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PK Sharpener and Windows Vista?  (Read 19419 times)

DarkPenguin

PK Sharpener and Windows Vista?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 12:25:13 am »

No.

jlmwyo

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 10:10:55 pm »

Jeff/Andrew, with all due respect:

Your assertion that Vista is beta is simply no longer correct. The final build IS available for any MSDN subscriber to download.

At this point my question is: will there be a working version as of the launch date? Its not like the final Vista code isn't available to fix any issues that might arise.

The issue is a simple one: you install the plugin, it won't accept serials, and right from day one it thinks the 30 day trial is allready expired.

I'll certainly put it up on the PG forum if you like.

Cheers
Images of Wyoming
 [url=http://www.pbase.

jlmwyo

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 10:26:48 pm »

IF you have Vista, I have to assume you're a legitimate beta site and I'd be shocked if you were not under NDA. That alone precludes a discussion.

Umm, someone is WAY behind the ball here because as you should know the RC2 build of Vista was available for PUBLIC download starting several months ago, sans any NDA's.

In point of fact, I downloaded an .iso of the RC2 direct from MS along with a license key for it.

Sooooooooooooooo, since I'm not under an NDA, I guess we can talk about it eh?  
Images of Wyoming

DarkPenguin

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 11:24:19 pm »

Sooooooooooooooo, since I'm not under an NDA, I guess we can talk about it eh? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So, what do you think of it?  I've been running it for all of two days and I'm getting the enter-enter-left arrow-enter thing to tell it to do what I told it to do in the first place down.  Security by bombarding me with messages I just click through is not really security.  Not sure what it does that Xp doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 11:24:44 pm by DarkPenguin »

jlmwyo

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 12:02:18 am »

So, what do you think of it?  I've been running it for all of two days and I'm getting the enter-enter-left arrow-enter thing to tell it to do what I told it to do in the first place down.  Security by bombarding me with messages I just click through is not really security.  Not sure what it does that Xp doesn't.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85341\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, a few observations I guess:

You are right about the added layers of 'security' and having to click on extra things to confirm what you what to do. A bit 'annoying' but MAYBE its a viable solution. Under XP, unless you changed your default user permissions EVERYTHING ran as Administrator, so things like Malware/Spyware were easily propagated.

There seems to be a bug in CS2 of some type where it prompts you to Register it every time you run the program, even if you say "Never Register"

TCP/IP networking seems HELLA fast, I get additional speed out of my cable modem.

Setting up wireless networking: more user friendly and more intuitive, I consider that a plus.

OS seems faster on equivalent hardware than XP, allthou that might not be a fair comparison because my XP install is quite old, and I probably have a lot of junk built
up in the registry, however even RC2 seems 'zippy'.

If I think of something else, I'll add to this, considering I CAN talk about it
Images of Wyoming

jlmwyo

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 01:20:08 am »

Well, COUGH, I have discovered the fix gentlemen, for those that want to use PK with Vista.

The problem lies with Photoshop itself actually. In order to get PK to work either in trial mode or to register with your serial, you have to run Photoshop itself as Administrator. I am guessing its needed so PS can have access to the system registry for PK.

It's quite simple really: simply right click on your Vista Start Menu entry for PS CS2 and select "Run As Administrator" and voila, the demo mode of PK will now work, AND it will also accept your license key for those that have fully registered the product.

Wonder if this issue will effect any other plugins that require keys, will have to see I guess.

ADDENDUM: Both Convert to Black and White Pro, and Noise Ninja install/run without issue WITHOUT having to run CS2 as Administrator, unlike PK. It seems like you have some issues you need to investigate gentelmen.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 02:14:39 am by jlmwyo »
Images of Wyoming

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 09:08:25 am »

There seems to be a bug in CS2 of some type where it prompts you to Register it every time you run the program, even if you say "Never Register"

And Adobe tech support had what to say about this bug?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jdyke

• http://www.jondyke.com
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 09:48:09 am »

Its amazing how easy it is to PO people using email/forums!!  

One question I would ask - why on earth would you want to run Vista as your main OS at this stage?  

I mean given Microsoft's less than stellar record with secuirty, you may want to wait for the first round of holes to be plugged.

And BTW I am an XP user not a MAC user before you ask.
Ok call me cynical but you don't have to patch a few hundred servers every month!!!

I am also a registered PK sharpener user so was interested in this thread.  

Let's be honest about this - Pixelgenius are out there to make some wedge - it would not be in thier interest if they did not already have a fix for this in the pipeline - its just that if they open themselves up to questions about Vista compatibility problems before its gone general, and Adobe support it then it could be 'support question hell' for them.

Yes I know the MVLS and MSDN version is now available but it may interest you to know not to everyon. I am an MSDN user and there is not sign of it on my subscription!!!  

I'm sure the guys won't let us down - besides I am keen to see the PK sharpener plugin for Lightroom when it goes live......  

JD

bjanes

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 02:48:54 pm »

Did you bother to read the article?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since it has already been established by previous messages on this thread that Vista is available for download and use by certain MSDN developers with no NDA, I would like to ask Mr. Schewe if he bothered to check out the facts before making a flippant and sarcastic comment to one of his users.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 07:36:54 pm »

I would like to ask Mr. Schewe if he bothered to check out the facts before making a flippant and sarcastic comment to one of his users.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85468\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

so, you still want to drag this thing out huh?

Yes, I DID read the entire article mentioned and that's when I found "The world's largest software company said Monday that customers will be able to buy licensing agreements to run Windows Vista Business and Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 on five or more personal computers."

I asked DarkPenguin if he bothered to read the entire article and then asked him if he was going to go out and buy a 5 seat license. . .he said no, so his comment "You've a little over 2 weeks." didn't apply, now did it?

You got a problem with me? Fine. I think I may be able to struggle through life with "bjanes" as something a bit south of a Jeff Schewe cheerleader, ya know? But in the grand scheme of things, what exactly do you think you've contributed to this thread? (Just wondering if you're proud of yourself?)

:~)

Schewe

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 07:52:33 pm »

The delicious irony here is of course, the original poster presumed (and even I got caught up in it) that is was Vista that was causing him issues when in fact, it was Vista's security trying to help him out. Point in fact, just reading the Read Me file would have given a reasonable troubling-shooting direction.

The Read Me for the Windows 1.2.4 version of PK Sharpener says: "You must install using a user account with 'Admin' privileges."

Had the original poster actually contacted PixelGenius Tech Support (and to the best of my knowledge, he didn't) following the instructions in the Read Me is on the primary check list for Tech Support.

So, I guess PG products -DO- work in Vista, when running Photoshop under admin privileges...

(kinda makes all that hand wringing silly, doesn't it?)

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 09:59:36 pm »

Jeff/Andrew, with all due respect:

Your assertion that Vista is beta is simply no longer correct. The final build IS available for any MSDN subscriber to download.

At this point my question is: will there be a working version as of the launch date? Its not like the final Vista code isn't available to fix any issues that might arise.

The issue is a simple one: you install the plugin, it won't accept serials, and right from day one it thinks the 30 day trial is allready expired.

I'll certainly put it up on the PG forum if you like.

Cheers
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Vista RTM (build 6000) available for MSDN subscribers - Nov 17th: [a href=\"http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/default.aspx]http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/default.aspx[/url]

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 10:59:30 pm »

The first I heard about Vista being RTMed was reading an article that pirates had already releashed a cracked/hacked version of Vista RTM, but were arguing as to whether it was actually cracked or worked around! Some were sayings it's nuked, but not sure what that means.
I'll just wait until I buy myself a new laptop with Vista installed sometime next spring, which will be several months after Vista has been bug tested and patched.
Though if Apple finally see sense and have a two button trackpad I may give OSX -TabbyCat a whirl.

Regarding the security and administrator comments above. I remember reading that the sheer annoyance of MS security, may well drive users to being administrators to get some peace - which kind of defeats the whole point of users not being administrators.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

DarkPenguin

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 11:44:52 pm »

so, you still want to drag this thing out huh?

Yes, I DID read the entire article mentioned and that's when I found "The world's largest software company said Monday that customers will be able to buy licensing agreements to run Windows Vista Business and Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 on five or more personal computers."

I asked DarkPenguin if he bothered to read the entire article and then asked him if he was going to go out and buy a 5 seat license. . .he said no, so his comment "You've a little over 2 weeks." didn't apply, now did it?

You got a problem with me? Fine. I think I may be able to struggle through life with "bjanes" as something a bit south of a Jeff Schewe cheerleader, ya know? But in the grand scheme of things, what exactly do you think you've contributed to this thread? (Just wondering if you're proud of yourself?)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't own the sharpening product in question either.  Was just trying to let you know you might have some customers that might get their hands on vista sooner than you seemed to think.  But, whatever.

jlmwyo

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 05:57:28 am »

Point taken Jeff, and in the end I figured it out. Sometimes I like to struggle with things I guess

Since Vista is, as yet not an offically supported OS for any version of Photoshop, PixelGenius is not supporting it as yet. Whether or not it will work is simply unknown...it's beta, after all.

What's even more ironic I find is you and Andrew spiraled this whole thing into a non discussion about NDA's, unsupported software, the final code not being available etc etc.

How does one go about asking PG for product support for that is unsupported at this point? THAT is ironic, don't you think? "We don't support our product in Vista, but since you didn't ask for support in our forums yadda yadda", well you get the idea. A bit of a Kafkaesque experience I'd say    

No Ill will intended towards anyone, I think I'm actually finding the whole thing as funny as you are.

Cheers!
Images of Wyoming

bjanes

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 09:21:31 am »

The delicious irony here is of course, the original poster presumed (and even I got caught up in it) that is was Vista that was causing him issues when in fact, it was Vista's security trying to help him out. Point in fact, just reading the Read Me file would have given a reasonable troubling-shooting direction.

The Read Me for the Windows 1.2.4 version of PK Sharpener says: "You must install using a user account with 'Admin' privileges."

Had the original poster actually contacted PixelGenius Tech Support (and to the best of my knowledge, he didn't) following the instructions in the Read Me is on the primary check list for Tech Support.

So, I guess PG products -DO- work in Vista, when running Photoshop under admin privileges...

(kinda makes all that hand wringing silly, doesn't it?)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85534\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff is confused about administrator accounts in Windows. It is routine to install programs at the administrator level, and it is not surprising that the PK readme says to install at the administrator level. However, for security reasons, a limited account is best for everyday use even by the person with administrator privileges. You install programs at the administrative level and run them with a limited account. To run everything at the administrative level opens up your system to hackers. Apparently PK does not run as it should in Vista, but other plugins such as NoiseNinja do.

Schewe

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 01:17:07 pm »

Apparently PK does not run as it should in Vista, but other plugins such as NoiseNinja do.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Apparently bjanes is confused by the Read Me directions. . .the instructions are to INSTALL using admin control (which also means register with your serial) afterwhich a user should be able to run any PhotoKit products under limited access admin controls. This applies to both Mac and Windows.

bjanes

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 06:03:47 pm »

Apparently bjanes is confused by the Read Me directions. . .the instructions are to INSTALL using admin control (which also means register with your serial) afterwhich a user should be able to run any PhotoKit products under limited access admin controls. This applies to both Mac and Windows.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really? Why are people having trouble with PK when using standard procedures?

jlmwyo

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 07:05:22 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Should run under a limited account, but it doesn't on Vista.

Do this, run Photoshop (AS ADMIN)  on Vista and either run the trial or register the plugin. Then go back and run it as a standard user on Vista and voila it doesn't work. If you HAD registered it by running CS2 as Admin, it will now think its NOT registered as a standard user, and will NOT take your key or run in trial mode. Basically what I'm saying is even if you DO follow the readme and then subsequently run CS2 as a standard user it, in effect, unregisters it.

Do your engineers not subscribe to MSDN?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:07:26 pm by jlmwyo »
Images of Wyoming

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 07:14:44 pm »

Where can I buy (and or download) Vista today? I'm not a beta, not a member of some MS club, just a guy who wants to buy it today. Where can I get it? Went to MS's site, it says I have to wait until January.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

Microsoft has announced that Windows Vista will be broadly available as a stand-alone product or pre-installed on new PCs on January 30, 2007.

What do they mean by 'broadly available?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up