Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop 7, how far behind am I really?.....  (Read 8318 times)

Digital_Duck

Photoshop 7, how far behind am I really?.....
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 12:35:42 pm »

In response to all the discussion of "piracy," and using Photoshop with no license -- just exactly what are the consequences of getting caught using a major app like Photoshop or anything else with no license or using a copy of someone else's app?

ArchiesBoy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86024\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is it really a MAJOR application?

I got my Photoshop 7 for a meager $20.00 (at a national electronics store) about 2 years ago and got 9 for free with a media card.

Also; if the software was given away because the replacement was so much better - it could STILL fall under a part of the terms of a license that requires one copy on ONE computer.

As for CS2 compared to PS7 (or 9) - there is a LOT more to do especially if you work in RAW format.

In JPG - PS is good

[attachment=1204:attachment]

This photo is a small snake with it's head is smaller than my little finger - this was done with PS9
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 12:39:34 pm by Digital_Duck »
[span style='color:green']Ima Foto Phree

ArchiesBoy

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 11:08:57 am »

... (2) the question itself may lead readers to think that the person asking it thinks it is OK to pirate software if the consequences were small enough such that the benefits of not paying for a license outweigh the probability and cost of being caught.

Let me put your fears to rest: I do not use pirated software either, I was merely curious. And yes, no doubt all software would be probably much cheaper if piracy were not rampant. (China, as I understand it pirates all sorts of stuff like crazy. And as an aside, I am also a musician who uses the Sibelius score writer, and you should see the pains that they take to prevent piracy in the installation process.) But someone brought up the notion of transferring licenses. Is that actually possible? I thought a license belonged only to the original purchaser and couldn't be transferred.

AB

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 11:24:29 am »

Let me put your fears to rest: I do not use pirated software either, I was merely curious. And yes, no doubt all software would be probably much cheaper if piracy were not rampant. (China, as I understand it pirates all sorts of stuff like crazy. And as an aside, I am also a musician who uses the Sibelius score writer, and you should see the pains that they take to prevent piracy in the installation process.) But someone brought up the notion of transferring licenses. Is that actually possible? I thought a license belonged only to the original purchaser and couldn't be transferred.

AB
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Archie - no fears (nothing for me to fear) - just observations. As far as I know, the Adobe license for home users allows us to install Photoshop on two computers for our personal use and that is it. I just did my second activation last night as I am in the process of transitioning to a new computer, and it was activated with no difficulty. (Before doing this, I tried to access the license conditions from Adobe's website and failed because their search engine doesn't find and transfer information properly, then I phoned customer support and after being held on the line listening to elevator music for ONE HOUR a "customer service" (hah) rep answered the call and told me that this is what I am allowed to do. I thanked him and suggested that if customers are being entertained on the phone for such inexcusably long periods of time the least they could do is treat us to Mahler or Beethoven. Well, all's well that ends well! Thank you Adobe.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up