Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CF cards for 10D  (Read 2259 times)

DeanC

CF cards for 10D
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:02:59 pm »

OK, so despite some input to get the 20D, I got the 10D used instead. Price was great, condition and shutter clicks were good too. I also like the feel of the 10D better and I can live with it's shortcomings. I also have more money for better lenses.

Anyhow, now I am in the midst of sortign out all the digi accessories and need to get some input on CF cards.

Basically, what I am after is the fastest card that makes sense. I expect that the march of technology has surpassed the speed of the buffer on the camera, so what speed should I be aiming for? I would gather I'd want one that was on par with buffer transfer speed. From my understanding, there is no point in going much faster.

Also, I understand that capacity is capped at 2gb for use with the 10D. Can this be confirmed?

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:03:52 pm by DeanC »

tgphoto

CF cards for 10D
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:22:31 pm »

RobGalbraith's site has an excellent table which should help you in your decision:

Canon 10D CF Write Speeds

I personally use two 512MB 80x Lexar cards and a bunch of 512MB Kingston Elite Pro 50x cards, and can tell no difference in the write times of the cards with my Canon 10D.  Also, you can't beat the price on 512MB Kingston Elite Pro cards, especially when they go on sale at Amazon (last time I got them for $20/ea.)

As for the 4GB rumor, it's just a rumor.  The table referenced above included several 4GB cards in the tests.

Hope this is helpful.

Tim
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 11:24:15 pm by tgphoto »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
CF cards for 10D
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 10:48:57 am »

The Ultra II cards are already faster than the 10D, so don't waste your money going faster.  I wasn't able to use them to the full potential until I got my 30D, and it's a day and night difference.  The camera is a huge bottleneck as far as write speed, so get some slower ones on sale.

tgphoto

CF cards for 10D
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 10:58:55 am »

I concur with kaelaria on the bottleneck issue.  Basically, don't sweat it, as the only area you're likely to notice any speed issues is with sports photography.  Unless you were hoping to use your 10D to shoot NASCAR events, you'll be just fine.

I've shot youth soccer, ice hockey, and a few air and water shows here in Chicago and haven't had any problems.

If you have any questions about your 10D, PM me.

Tim

DeanC

CF cards for 10D
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 07:42:47 pm »

Thanks very much guys, I appreciate the concise, reasoned response (and the fact I can go for the less expensive stuff)!

I have shot national level rally racing with a friends 10D, and as long as I don't go buck wild, and retain some of my film shooting habits I won't have any issues!

I may well have some questions. I have been messing with the camera a lot since I got it, to try different funtions. I'll let you know when I have more to ask!

Dean

I concur with kaelaria on the bottleneck issue.  Basically, don't sweat it, as the only area you're likely to notice any speed issues is with sports photography.  Unless you were hoping to use your 10D to shoot NASCAR events, you'll be just fine.

I've shot youth soccer, ice hockey, and a few air and water shows here in Chicago and haven't had any problems.
If you have any questions about your 10D, PM me.

Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84489\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up