Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon lens on cropped MF  (Read 4796 times)

Adem

canon lens on cropped MF
« on: November 09, 2006, 03:16:14 pm »

After all the discussion on 35mm lens being sharper than MF/LF lenses, i was just wondering, what if we are to mount 35mm/canon lens on a cropped MFDB like Hassy/P20 that i have. would it yeild higher resolution per se?

BTW i use both canon 5D and Hassy/P20, and can say that, in terms of quality, the difference is significant in favour of MF. Maybe because of more bit depth (12 vs 16) or may be due to larger image circle translating into a lot more initial  data to begin with...

Any thoughts...

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
canon lens on cropped MF
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 01:32:25 pm »

After all the discussion on 35mm lens being sharper than MF/LF lenses, i was just wondering, what if we are to mount 35mm/canon lens on a cropped MFDB like Hassy/P20 that i have. would it yeild higher resolution per se?

BTW i use both canon 5D and Hassy/P20, and can say that, in terms of quality, the difference is significant in favour of MF. Maybe because of more bit depth (12 vs 16) or may be due to larger image circle translating into a lot more initial  data to begin with...

Any thoughts...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I doubt sharpness would be significantly imporved esp as you would be pushing the image circle

But it could give you interesting wide angle options

Would I imagine be difficult to actually make work

View camera with lots of MODs but how you get electronic lenses to stop down I dont know

This is all much more feasable with nikons and the cambo miniwide - which Callumet still dont want to sell me

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Gary Ferguson

• http://
canon lens on cropped MF
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:42:38 pm »

I guess the mirror box will be larger on a Hasselblad than on any 35mm camera, so you won't be able to focus at infinity, in fact it'll be macro only. However, as the image circle increases for macro work it may be viable within this application.

Out of interest I've tried a few Hasselblad V system lenses on a Canon 1Ds MkII, and I was astonished at just how good the longer Hasselblad lenses were when used on a smaller format. The Hasselblad 180mm 4.0 stands up very well against my Canon 180mm 3.5L Macro (one of the sharpest Canon lenses I own), and likewise the Hasselblad 350mm 5.6 superachromat compares well against a Canon 300mm 2.8L and (with the dedicated x1.4 multiplier) against a Canon 500mm 4.0L.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
canon lens on cropped MF
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 01:47:12 pm »

Gary have you ever tried a hassy macro lens against the canon 180mm

I guess the mirror box will be larger on a Hasselblad than on any 35mm camera, so you won't be able to focus at infinity, in fact it'll be macro only. However, as the image circle increases for macro work it may be viable within this application.

Out of interest I've tried a few Hasselblad V system lenses on a Canon 1Ds MkII, and I was astonished at just how good the longer Hasselblad lenses were when used on a smaller format. The Hasselblad 180mm 4.0 stands up very well against my Canon 180mm 3.5L Macro (one of the sharpest Canon lenses I own), and likewise the Hasselblad 350mm 5.6 superachromat compares well against a Canon 300mm 2.8L and (with the dedicated x1.4 multiplier) against a Canon 500mm 4.0L.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary Ferguson

• http://
canon lens on cropped MF
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 02:21:19 pm »

Gary have you ever tried a hassy macro lens against the canon 180mm

Afraid not, it was only a bit of fun. At longer distances I've never been particularly impressed with the V 120mm macro, and in the near range most macro lenses tend to look terrific because your usually judging a relatively sharp subject against a relatively blurred background.

damien

• http://www.lovegroveportraits.com
canon lens on cropped MF
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 02:46:15 pm »

I used a Kern 8mm lens from a 8mm cine camera reversed on my Hasselblad bellows and got amazing results for macro work. The lens cost me £5. I was using this lens in the way it was designed and the images proved it. Keep the working distances right, and the lens will perform at it's best. Outside that range and all sorts of interesting things happen, not always pretty.

Damien.

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
canon lens on cropped MF
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 04:32:31 pm »

I used a Kern 8mm lens from a 8mm cine camera reversed on my Hasselblad bellows and got amazing results for macro work. The lens cost me £5. I was using this lens in the way it was designed and the images proved it. Keep the working distances right, and the lens will perform at it's best. Outside that range and all sorts of interesting things happen, not always pretty.

Damien.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85199\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmm, while we're talking about special lenses, this question comes to my mind:
I have an strange old Luminar lens on a cone(?) Sinar board lying in a dusty corner, never used it, got it with some old gear years ago. I was probably used for extrem macro application on sheet film. now this would be an idea, anyone ever tried this kind of lens with a DB?

Tom-
Pages: [1]   Go Up