Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Library  (Read 26771 times)

ratz

Library
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:08:26 am »

It appeals to me in that it may help me keep only one copy of each image other than the Backup. Right now I end up having multiple copies of images because "I'm not sure if I have it somewhere else so just to be safe" thinking. I could really use the simple organization of having one library and the Versions of images in Aperture to output if needed.

The thing that worries me is how to handle it when I start getting low on disk space? I guess from what I understand you can back them up to another disk or DVD and have them referenced still in Aperture with full preview, then you would just have to go to the referenced location? How does the whole vault thing work. Can I back up the Vault to another Hard Disk or does it have to be a DVD? How long does it take to open Vaulted images to access them?

Any suggested workflow/organization tips?

Thanks all

PS: Love the Video Journals Michael

32BT

• Pictures
Library
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:13:52 am »

Can I back up the Vault to another Hard Disk or does it have to be a DVD? How long does it take to open Vaulted images to access them?

Any suggested workflow/organization tips?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, you can. Correct terminology would be to say that a Vault can reside on another hard disk. The vault is the backup. It's very easy to setup a Vault to test the function and get a feel for it, so it may be helpful to try it now when your entire image savings don't depend on it yet.

One thing to note:
if you opt to store images in the Aperture library, they end up somewhere deep each in their own folder, and you're dependent on Aperture for access.
if you opt to store the images somewhere else and manipulate "by reference", then the files will reside in your designated folder. But then the renaming of versions after the initial storage doesn't copy through to the referenced files.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

shed

• http://www.awphotography.org
Library
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 05:56:58 pm »

One thing to note:
if you opt to store images in the Aperture library, they end up somewhere deep each in their own folder, and you're dependent on Aperture for access.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is not nescessarily true, if the images reside in the Aperutre Library you can 'extract' them (so to speak) by selecting the show 'package contents' in the finder window.

As for backing up files from Aperutre, the Vault is by far the easiest way of storing images. It gets rid of all the hassle of having them on seperate disks, and means that should a drive fail, you can simply transfer them and 'rebuild the library' using the vault.

As you can have as many vaults as you want it makes it idea to back your files up this way. You can have the main library, one backup used onsite, another backup incase one of the drives fails, and then to be ultra sure you could have another backup offsite incase of fires,floods or theft.

The problem with referencing your images is it's all to easy to forget to backup the images.

Vaults take the hassle out of file management.

HTH

Andrew
Regards,
 Andrew

eSBee

• http://
Library
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:24:49 pm »

Ever thought of your pc/laptop being stolen or totaly broken, crashed or destroyed?

Make a back-up on a diffrent medium (dvd or external hdd) as far away from the originals as possible!
Always.
No matter what kind of software you use.

I don't use the vaults.
It does use up to much harddisk space.
But I export my images on a regular base to a back-up medium.
It is a little work.. maybe a click or two..three     maybe four.

32BT

• Pictures
Library
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 04:52:15 am »

This is not nescessarily true, if the images reside in the Aperutre Library you can 'extract' them (so to speak) by selecting the show 'package contents' in the finder window.

True, but like I said: the images reside each in an individual folder.
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
Library
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 04:53:57 am »

Ever thought of your pc/laptop being stolen or totaly broken, crashed or destroyed?

Make a back-up on a diffrent medium (dvd or external hdd) as far away from the originals as possible!
Always.
I don't use the vaults.
It is a little work.. maybe a click or two..three     maybe four.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84399\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you don't use the vaults, then how do you save your settings?
Regards,
~ O ~

eSBee

Library
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 06:11:53 am »

I feel very blond right now       because I think I don't understand your question very well

I export the images including versions and the metadata.
In "presets" > image export > you 'll find the option "including metadata".

Is this what you mean by "settings" ?
Or do you mean your management system...
the way you organised all the diffrent projects etc. ?
Is that what you call your (Library) settings?

Wel to be honest... that is a problem.
And I must confes that I have Aperture running on a laptop and a pc in in a diffrent building.
I export to folders on DVD on very regular basis and import only from time to time in exactly the same library on the pc. This is maybe a very complicated solution and not always a very up to date back-up (Library-wise)
But I feel a lot more secure this way.

Making a back-up for me is like keeping papers safe just in case there might be a fire.
It is no use keeping the originals in your living room and a copy in your bedroom.
I know that if my laptop crashes or is stolen or destroyed in anyother way..
I' ll probably have a lot of work to restore my Library.. but I know I will have no problem accessing all my original pictures and all the work I did on them.

But ... I am here with one reason...  to learn ... !!
so if anybody can show me a diffrent way or teach me anything better ...please do !!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 06:15:22 am by eSBee »

32BT

• Pictures
Library
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 06:34:18 am »

I export the images including versions and the metadata.
In "presets" > image export > you 'll find the option "including metadata".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Something might go horribly wrong here.

The Presets -> Image Export is meant only for exporting converted files. It doesn't refer to exporting a master file which is what you should want for back-up. And using the Export -> Master File option doesn't allow you to save any of the RAW development settings made in Aperture, nor the settings corresponding to different versions, a very minimum requirement for a backup. Having the library structure backed up as well, is another useful part of a backup.

You might want to reconsider your Vault strategy and you may want to give it a try. At startup, Aperture will display any discrepancies between the state of the library and the vaults.
Regards,
~ O ~

msbc

Library
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 08:10:26 am »

True, but like I said: the images reside each in an individual folder.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84435\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No problem. In Finder create a smart folder. Set Kind to Images and use the 'Others...' menu to select the Folder where your Aperture Library resides. Now you have an auto updating view into all the images stored inside the Library.
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

shed

Library
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 08:30:04 am »

Always.
I don't use the vaults.
It is a little work.. maybe a click or two..three     maybe four.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84399\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the beauty of Vaults, you can have as many as you like and they are always up to date (well if you sync them they are). You can have the main Library on an external hard drive (for size reasons), and then a minimum of 1 backup, preferably 2.

That way, with 2 backups, you have the library which is used the most and then two other sources, one of these can be offsite, in a safety deposit box or at a friend/realative's house. Simply sync the vault once a month. If you do that then you should be safe, what's the chances of all 3 HDs going bad at once? Or if you house is broken into you have the other vault at an offsite location. Simply re-buidl the library from that, and then buy a new HD to have as a vault.

Also as hard drives get bigger you can migrate the vaults onto bigger drives.
Regards,
 Andrew

32BT

• Pictures
Library
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 08:43:51 am »

No problem. In Finder create a smart folder. Set Kind to Images and use the 'Others...' menu to select the Folder where your Aperture Library resides. Now you have an auto updating view into all the images stored inside the Library.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84453\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you sure it actually looks into the Aperture library package this way?
Regards,
~ O ~

msbc

Library
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 08:53:48 am »

Are you sure it actually looks into the Aperture library package this way?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84463\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you try it and it doesnt work?
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

32BT

• Pictures
Library
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 09:46:26 am »

Did you try it and it doesnt work?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84464\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I tried and it didn't seem to work, unless I disect the package of course. But I have experienced problems with the find function previously where it doesn't find really obvious searches so it may be operator error...
Regards,
~ O ~

Big Bird

Library
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 11:23:27 am »

I use the Aperture library and vault system. The first time you create the vault it takes a while if your library is large. It took close to three hours for mine at ~250gigs. After that it doesn't take long for incremental updates. I have the main library on the computer HD, an external HD for one vault and another external HD that is kept off site and is backed up once a week.
Personally, I think this program is a godsend for me. I no longer have to make a bunch of tiffs from Raws that basically just sit on a HD taking up space. I select what I need , export them and submit them as required. The only tiffs that hang around are images that need photoshopping.

sjahjah

Library
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 11:44:57 am »

My workflow is the following: I copy my images in one hard drive, having my own folder structure. All these files are backep up regularly on 2 different hard drives.

Once this is done, I import in Aperture library the files: I work, sort them, edit them, create multiple versions etc ...  and I have 2 vaults, once updated every day, the second one every Friday.

In total, I have my original files backed up twice (outside aperture library); and I have all my files in Aperture with 2 vaults. Given the low cost / GB of hard drive today, it find it quite workable.

shed

Library
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 11:54:24 am »

My workflow is the following: I copy my images in one hard drive, having my own folder structure. All these files are backep up regularly on 2 different hard drives.

Once this is done, I import in Aperture library the files: I work, sort them, edit them, create multiple versions etc ...  and I have 2 vaults, once updated every day, the second one every Friday.

In total, I have my original files backed up twice (outside aperture library); and I have all my files in Aperture with 2 vaults. Given the low cost / GB of hard drive today, it find it quite workable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84501\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you use the vaults in Aperture why would you want to back the images up seperately on different HDs?
Regards,
 Andrew

sjahjah

Library
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 12:10:49 pm »

If you use the vaults in Aperture why would you want to back the images up seperately on different HDs?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So as to not depend entirely on Aperture...10 years down the road I can access my files without depending on having aperture.

shed

Library
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 12:35:37 pm »

So as to not depend entirely on Aperture...10 years down the road I can access my files without depending on having aperture.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84510\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fair enough, although if they are in vaults on external drives you can still access the images from inside, but it's harder to do than if they are coppied there seperately.
Regards,
 Andrew

eSBee

Library
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 03:30:17 pm »

Something might go horribly wrong here.

The Presets -> Image Export is meant only for exporting converted files. It doesn't refer to exporting a master file which is what you should want for back-up. And using the Export -> Master File option doesn't allow you to save any of the RAW development settings made in Aperture, nor the settings corresponding to different versions, a very minimum requirement for a backup. Having the library structure backed up as well, is another useful part of a backup.

You might want to reconsider your Vault strategy and you may want to give it a try. At startup, Aperture will display any discrepancies between the state of the library and the vaults.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84443\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I get it.
Yes I know.

But then again.. I make a back-up of my pictures the minute after I load them on my latop... sometimes even before I take a look at them.  That is... the RAW masterfiles.

I am on the road a lot ... with camera and laptop.
Hotels, camping, car, etc. Very vunerable for theft & destruction.
So I make DVD at the end of every day .... hide them somewhere in my car or send even an extra copy DVD home by mail.

Back-up from versions and work done... that comes later.

When back at home I go on with this same "system"... but ofcourse yes... I could consider a external harddisk and use Apertures Vault on that harddisk.

I'll think about it !
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 03:31:46 pm by eSBee »

ratz

Library
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 04:36:59 pm »

I use the Aperture library and vault system. The first time you create the vault it takes a while if your library is large. It took close to three hours for mine at ~250gigs. After that it doesn't take long for incremental updates. I have the main library on the computer HD, an external HD for one vault and another external HD that is kept off site and is backed up once a week.
Personally, I think this program is a godsend for me. I no longer have to make a bunch of tiffs from Raws that basically just sit on a HD taking up space. I select what I need , export them and submit them as required. The only tiffs that hang around are images that need photoshopping.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I statred this post and now I have purchased Aperture.
I have found the same as quoted. I love using the Vault for incrimental backup and not having a million different full sized versions floating around my HD. My opinion is that you would have to be crazy NOT to use Apertures Library. That is just my opinion and if someone prefers not to that's up to them, so please don't go off about how I shouldn't be telling you whats best for you. I'm just trying to show MY strong liking of the Aperture Library and Vault system. I think it really simplifies digital photo management.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up