Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prevent inkjet printer head dried (clogged)  (Read 5697 times)

thomashoven

• http://www.thomashoven.com
Prevent inkjet printer head dried (clogged)
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:12:34 pm »

My Canon 9000i printer originally made beautiful prints. After a 5 month trip abroad (printer not used), annoying banding occured. Not too much, but unacceptable for photo prints. OK for general purpose prints. Print head cleaning fluid (inserted instead of the ink cartridges) did not have significant effect.

I am considering a new printer, and checked with Epson and Canon what I should do if I have to leave the printer unused for several months. They had no suggestions.

Other proposals (not tried out) are:
1. Put the print head in the fridge (slows down drying process)
2. Leave the printhead flushed with cleaning fluid instead of ink.
3. Leave the printer with power on hoping it cleans itself regularly

Is anyone here aware of any solution or preventive maintenance for this problem?

Best Regards,
Thomas
Rgds,
Thomas (www.thomashoven.com)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 05:19:53 pm »

Since the fridge is the dryest part of the house, I can't see that helping.

inspiration.in.print

• Inspiration in print Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 07:01:51 pm »

Is anyone here aware of any solution or preventive maintenance for this problem?

Best Regards,
Thomas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For Epsom Printers you can put cleaning fluid in the park tank below print head, do not fill beyond pad as this will allow ink to syphon between tanks. (It is the vaper from the cleening fluid that stops the head from dring out)
Fit new cartriges if thay are less than 1/2 to 2/3 full  depending how long you are going to be away.
You have to do this with the printer switched off.
Pull the plug out and leave it out while you are away so that printer is not switched on.
You have to push the white locking leaver below print head to the front to move the print head from the park position put cleening fluid in tank push print head back to park position. do not turn printer  back on. When you switch the printer on it purges this tank
Cheque that the rubber seal on park tank has not gone hard as this is the most comman  fault in printers with nozzel problems

I have left printers in storage for more than 6 months with no problems
This also works to clean blocked nozzles fill tank and leave for 1 to 2days

For Canon printers with removable print heads, remove them and flush out ink with a syringe of water or cleaning fluid. Do not apply to much pressure as this can damage head

Robert

thomashoven

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:28:54 am »

For Canon printers with removable print heads, remove them and flush out ink with a syringe of water or cleaning fluid. Do not apply to much pressure as this can damage head

Robert
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Thanks for a good reply. Something for me to discuss with an Epson sales rep, and something to try on my Canon. (Already bought a new print-head - no big deal if I ruin the old one)

Starnge that printer manufacturers don't address this problem more seriously.

Rgds,

thomashoven

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:33:43 am »

Since the fridge is the dryest part of the house, I can't see that helping.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As with everything you put in a fridge, I would wrap it in something that prevents humidity from escaping. You gave me another idea - put a damp cloth (moisted with water or print head cleaning fluid) inside the wrapping with the print-head.

Thomas
Rgds,
Pages: [1]   Go Up