Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matte Ink on Gloss Paper  (Read 4518 times)

mr.dude

Matte Ink on Gloss Paper
« on: November 06, 2006, 05:01:21 am »

I asked this as part of another thread but since there were zero replies so I thought I'd give it another shot.  I'm printing a series in black and white on hahnemuhle fine art pearl and the best results are from using matte black ink.  I assume this paper is supposed to be used with gloss/photo black.  Now is there any particular problems with using matte black on papers meant to be used with gloss/photo ink such as faster fading, or whatever else?  sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.  

BTW the printer is a Canon ipf5000 if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 06:44:18 am by mr.dude »

Gene Coggins

Matte Ink on Gloss Paper
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:07:05 am »

I asked this as part of another thread but since there were zero replies so I thought I'd give it another shot.  I'm printing a series in black and white on hahnemuhle fine art rag and the best results are from using matte black ink.  I assume this paper is supposed to be used with gloss/photo black.  Now is there any particular problems with using matte black on papers meant to be used with gloss/photo ink such as faster fading, or whatever else?  sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. 

BTW the printer is a Canon ipf5000 if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

First, I use Epson 4800 printers with their K3 inks.

It is my understanding that if you use matte black ink (MK) on glossy (RC) papers, the matte black ink will rub off. Therefore, on RC papers, use photo black (PK); on all other papers and canvas, use MK.

Gene

Geoff Wittig

Matte Ink on Gloss Paper
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 08:46:01 am »

Hahnemuhle photo rag is a cotton rag fine art paper with a matte surface. It works best with matte black ink, which has been designed to provide a better d-max on matte papers. Photo-black ink works better on gloss/semigloss/luster papers, where it provides a darker d-max than any matte paper/ink combination can.
I believe that the issue is the interaction between ink and paper. Gloss/luster papers permit the glossier, darker photo black ink to "set up" just beneath the smooth polymer surface, while matte & fine art cotton rag papers encourage the ink to "wick" deeply into the paper, killing the d-max. As I understand it, matte black inks have "grittier" pigment particles that resist wicking into the paper, at a cost of a more fragile surface and a d-max weaker than that of photo black on glossier stock.

colourperfect

• http://www.colourperfect.co.uk
Matte Ink on Gloss Paper
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 03:36:19 pm »

You may want to check with the Canvas, some use PK and some PK. I think one of the Epson canvas uses PK

Ian

http://www.colourperfect.co.uk

First, I use Epson 4800 printers with their K3 inks.

It is my understanding that if you use matte black ink (MK) on glossy (RC) papers, the matte black ink will rub off. Therefore, on RC papers, use photo black (PK); on all other papers and canvas, use MK.

Gene
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
Matte Ink on Gloss Paper
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:54:46 pm »

Your question seems to confuse two papers: here's no Fine Art Rag, but two of Hahnemuele's papers are called Fine Art Pearl & Photo Rag.  PK for former, MK for latter.

mr.dude

Matte Ink on Gloss Paper
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 06:55:46 am »

Your question seems to confuse two papers: here's no Fine Art Rag, but two of Hahnemuele's papers are called Fine Art Pearl & Photo Rag.  PK for former, MK for latter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=83925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

crud, i totally messed up on the original question (edited now).  i meant to ask about fine art pearl.  

gene was right, the matte black rubs right off FAP.  it's a good thing i didn't waste any ink on large prints yet.  

thanks everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up