Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on CRT displays  (Read 3404 times)

HickersonJasonC

Opinions on CRT displays
« on: November 05, 2006, 04:19:15 pm »

I am looking to upgrade to a bigger, better display to use calibrated using Spyder2. My budget is less than $500 but $400 would be better. I want accurate color but, for me, image content is much more important than having The Most Accurate Color Possible. I basically just want my prints to match my calibrated monitor when using proper profiling. I do a lot of b/w photography and watch DVDs on my computer, as well. I'm looking for a display with a viewable area of 20" or better.

I was originally looking at the Dell 2007FP but consensus seems to be that the panel technology on this price-level lcd results in hue shifts in the highlights at different viewing angles. I'm not really looking for another lcd vs crt discussion as there are plenty of those around. So, unless I'm passing up paradise on the 2007FP, I've narrowed it down to the following two crt displays:

Sony CPD-G520P - $499 on Amazon

Samsung 1100MB - $475 on Amazon

The Sony is as far as I can tell, an Artisan without the Artisan built-in calibration. This display has been well discussed and rated excellent, generally. The Samsung, however, is harder to find real-world information on. It is rated as having a dot pitch of 0.20 vs the Sony's 0.24. I would be running either display at 1600x1200.

Has anyone had a chance to compare these two displays? I'm not interested in specifications jargon - just real-world experience. Right now I'm leaning toward the Sony simply because I've been able to find more information on it. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jason

HickersonJasonC

Opinions on CRT displays
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:08:59 am »

No one has any experience with the Samsung?? Hard to believe. I guess I'll be going with the Sony since I don't have any way of trying out the Samsung.

Jason

Ben Rubinstein

Opinions on CRT displays
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 05:24:21 pm »

The sony sounds interesting, I didn't know that there was quality CRT's still being manufacturered certainly not one which is compared to the gold standard of the Artisan. Please update if you do find out more...

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
Opinions on CRT displays
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:54:12 pm »

The 520P is not the same tube as the Artisian.  Sony developed a new tube for the Artisian.   I owned a 520P for 3 years (before going LCD) and it calibrated very well but according to Rodney it is not the same tube.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 11:55:04 pm by GregShapps »
Pages: [1]   Go Up